Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th August 2009, 13:45   #1  |  Link
bartnovsky

building x264 under cygwin/mingw

I want to build x264 binary for win32 under cygwin. The only problem so far is that i can't achieve having multithread support: when i simply pass './configure --enable-pthread' to bash i get nothing:
Code:
Platform:   X86
System:     MINGW
asm:        yes
avis input: yes
mp4 output: no
pthread:    no
debug:      no
gprof:      no
PIC:        no
shared:     no
visualize:  no

You can run 'make' or 'make fprofiled' now.
I took pthreads-win32 from ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/pthread...release.tar.gz and compiled it using 'make clean GC' and put obtained .dll into /cygwin/bin and /cygwin/lib (by the way on http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/wiki/inde...title=Pthreads it is adviced before compilation to apply a patch "regarding POSIX compatibility" - having applied the patch i couldn't compile it...). And no matter if i put this .dll or not - the result is still pthread: no.

Could anyone say what is the problem and how to compile x264 with pthread support under cygwin?
bartnovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 13:52   #2  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

You must build PThreads with "make GC-inlined" or even "make GC-static" and then put the resulting libpthread(GC2).a file (that is the library which will be linked against x264) into your "lib" directory!
Furthermore the required includes (pthread.h, semaphore.h and sched.h) must be located inside your "include" directory. The DLL isn't needed at all, if you built the static version of pthreads...

(BTW: It seems most people built x264.exe with static pthread library in order to avoid the dependency on an "external" DLL file)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th August 2009 at 14:31. Reason: typo
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote