Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th March 2012, 14:01   #1  |  Link
Dextor41

MPC-HC EVR trouble (picture freezing on seek)

Hello.
I have a minor problem with the latest version of MPC HC (and the previous one had this problem too). When I use the default EVR Custom presenter video renderer, the video freezes when seeking. This happens about every second time I seek. When I change the renderer to EVR Sync, this issue is gone but another problem occurs: when playing videos, they kinda stutter from time to time (for about 10 seconds every 5 - 10 minutes). The framerate just drops to something like 2 - 5 FPS for a while. When I change the renderer to VMR-9 renderless, all issues are gone (but I can't use DXVA and the piture is kinda brighter - fixed by the 16-235 shader). Anyone knows about any cause to this? Any suggestions to fix the EVR? (I tried resetting the settings by removing Gabest reg key but it didn't help.)

My specs: Win7 pro x64 SP1 + all updates, C2Q Q9400 @ 4GHz, 6GB RAM, MSI GTX560 Ti + latest drivers, GA-EP45-UD3 mobo (Intel P45 + ICH10)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dextor41; 14th March 2012 at 12:56.
Dextor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 14:15   #2  |  Link
dukey

don't use the custom presenter? just use evr
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 15:36   #3  |  Link
CruNcher

it's not easy to answer where the problem is coming from playback under dshow can be influenced by so many factors, for example such slowdowns speedups can be causes also from interpreting timestamps wrong on the splitter level and their you have 2 types of issues video timestamps and audio timestamps as the audio decoder sets the reference clock it could easily happen that a bad stream can cause such effects if the splitter isn't prepared for it.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 13th March 2012 at 15:39.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 13:02   #4  |  Link
Dextor41

So you're saying this is not a problem of MPC HC but a problem of my software setup? Because I'm planning to format my system drive and do a fresh Windows install, I'm just waiting for some more reasons to do it... And if I'm the only one with this problem then I would do that format maybe even this week. But you know, I got a lot of stuff to do for school, and formatting disk and installing Windows and installing software, drivers, etc takes so much time...
Old 14th March 2012, 15:31   #5  |  Link
CruNcher

No No i just say that its complex to find out and takes time reinstalling is a efficient way to find out if something else interferes but there is no guarantee it will fix the issue that you are currently experience ,of course excluding any outside factors is always a very good thing so im for it but you should have made a backup of a working system that fits your needs application wise before anyways

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 14th March 2012 at 16:04.
Old 14th March 2012, 16:00   #6  |  Link
Dextor41

OK so is there any information I can provide so my problem can be analyzed better?
Old 14th March 2012, 16:11   #7  |  Link
CruNcher

What for a Parser/Splitter and Decoder/Audio/Video, does it happen with others or only a specific combination on EVR custom ?

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 14th March 2012 at 20:41.
Old 15th March 2012, 23:32   #8  |  Link
Dextor41

You'll have to wait a bit, I will do a little research on that and check the behavior of the player on my laptop, as it has different HW (like an ATi GPU) and maybe different software installed, so it could tell us something. I got a lot of C#, Python and Theoretical Computer Science learning to do for school so it could take some time...
Old 21st March 2012, 13:17   #9  |  Link
Dextor41

OK so I reinstalled my Windows because my Microsoft VC++ compilers installation was screwed beyond repair and the MPC video freezing problem is still present. The worst case yet was this combination: EVR custom pres., file: AVI, DivX5 video, IMA ADPCM audio. Happens also with Xvid video mp3 audio. I use all the MPC's integrated filters.
Old 5th June 2012, 02:54   #10  |  Link
Dextor41

OK, it's been a while since I last worte to this thread, but I just wanted to let you know that right now I installed the 1.6.2 version of MPC HC (updated from 1.6.0, I kinda skipped 1.6.1), switched it to use EVR custom pres. and all is fine. No more image freezing. I'm having my fingers crossed wishing it stays like this... Finally, I can decode full hd h264 movies using my 170 watt GPU instead of my 120 watt CPU with DXVA! Yay! (sorry I think I'm kinda trolling here...). Anyway, thanks to the developers for fixing this!

Tags
evr, media player classic