Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th November 2013, 21:24   #20821  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Is this a new problem only occuring with the latest test builds? Or does this occur with the current official release, too? I've never seen anything like that on my PC. I somehow doubt it's my fault, but what do I know. The problem is: Without being able to reproduce the problem, there's probably not much I can do about it.
I thought it was related to the debanding test builds, but it seems that is not the case. I'll post a bug on the tracker - I think I've found a way to reproduce it.

Quote:
Yes, define a custom keyboard shortcut for "debanding custom settings", press it, then use the arrow keys to modify the parameters.
Thanks, I missed that.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 21:27   #20822  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Did this also happen with older drivers?
Not sure - I do know it only started 'recently', but I don't really have a reliable way to reproduce it except 'pause the video for a few hours', which doesn't make for easy testing. The only reason I mentioned it is that the effect I see does look more or less identical to 6233638's screenshot.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 22:05   #20823  |  Link
Demonik

Ok, did some more tests, it's the same with hardware and software decoding. But while i was testing the madvrdeband version i noticed something else, if i put madVRdeband14 files in a clean install of 0.86.3 it works ok, but if i put them in a clean install of 0.86.4 the brightness issue occurs. here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/talHMqm.jpg
Demonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 22:31   #20824  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i can still reproduce this bug: http://abload.de/img/resizingbug0fsot.png

and i completely reinstalled the pc since the last time i posted about this.

it only happens with an nvdia card (an 760) with lanczos 8 ar the hd 4000 is not affected
I get the same sort of artifacts with ivtc on 2 nvidia cards but it's fine on HD3000, wonder if they are related.
Old 10th November 2013, 23:19   #20825  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonik View Post
Ok, did some more tests, it's the same with hardware and software decoding. But while i was testing the madvrdeband version i noticed something else, if i put madVRdeband14 files in a clean install of 0.86.3 it works ok, but if i put them in a clean install of 0.86.4 the brightness issue occurs.
Weird. Can you try to find out which one of the 0.86.4 files is responsible?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 23:32   #20826  |  Link
Demonik

my bad on the last one, madvrdeband doesn't load with the files from 0.86.3 or before cuz of the renamed madHcNet.dll that's why it 'looked' ok but i was switching them so fast i didn't even notice it's not loading and defaulted to other renderer. back to the previous report of 0.85.3 as beeing the last working one
Old 10th November 2013, 23:40   #20827  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Please double check the input levels (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+i). Are they set correctly? And this problem only occurs with this one video? Which decoder are you using? DXVA deinterlacing is turned off, correct? Also double check that the Media Player and madVR brightness and levels controls are all set to neutral values.
Old 11th November 2013, 00:03   #20828  |  Link
Demonik

It's beeing detected as TV, all controls are neutral, deinterlace is off, i'm using lav filters and mpc-hc, tried it in potplayer with same results. yes i've only seen it with this file happening so far.
Old 11th November 2013, 00:38   #20829  |  Link
XeoneR

How to completely disable those blasted popups
about timestamps or filenames in the left upper corner?

Can mad resemble the same behavior as haali?
Halve the initial frame size if the source res is higher than the display.
XeoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 02:41   #20830  |  Link
Ap3 n1nja

Quote:
Is your report the one with the text "opening mp4 file, does this every time but other files seems to work ok"? If so, the crash is somehow related to DXVA. Probably turning DXVA off will fix the crash. Not sure why the crash occurs, though. Maybe updating or reinstalling the drivers, or reinstalling D3D9 would help?
Nope. The report I sent should have text along the lines of "Simply trying to play the file." I should have been more descriptive.

It's the mkv file in my prior post, if you happen to have missed it: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...73#post1652373
Ap3 n1nja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 06:17   #20831  |  Link
omarank

Hi Madshi, the debanding feature of madVR looks really very impressive. I was trying the latest test build for debanding (madVRdeband14) and encountered a bug. I get a dropped frame for every fade in/ out while using low as default strength and high as strength during fading. This happens only when smooth motion FRC is also active. When I see the frame drops, all the queues look just fine and I don't see anything suspicious. My queues are set as: CPU - 24, GPU - 16 and frames in advance - 12. If I keep the fading strength same as default debanding strength, there are no dropped frames.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 07:58   #20832  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
If I keep the fading strength same as default debanding strength, there are no dropped frames.
Same Here. Was using a local copy of an Emily Shephard video (monochrome with lotsa fading) and noted the frame drops. It drove me crazy 'til I disabled debanding. Then narrowed it down to using medium for both settings.
MistahBonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 10:05   #20833  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
It's beeing detected as TV, all controls are neutral, deinterlace is off, i'm using lav filters and mpc-hc, tried it in potplayer with same results. yes i've only seen it with this file happening so far.
Very weird. I don't see anything wrong with this file and it plays with correct brightness on my PC. Do you have any other video related DShow filters in the chain except LAV Video Decoder and madVR? Do you have LAV set to default options? Can I get a screenshot with the madVR debug OSD (Ctrl+J) on? Right now I've no idea what's going on there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeoneR View Post
How to completely disable those blasted popups about timestamps or filenames in the left upper corner?
These are from MPC-HC. Maybe there's an option in MPC-HC to disable those? I don't know.

Quote:
Halve the initial frame size if the source res is higher than the display.
It's technically possible, but I don't like it, so no, sorry. This is really a feature the media player should offer. It's not the video renderer's job. Haali implements this by lying to the media player. Basically Haali tells the media player that the video really only has half the resolution, which is not true. That's the wrong approach, IMHO. Ask the MPC-HC developers to offer this feature. If MPC-HC asks madVR to display the video in half the size, madVR will obey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap3 n1nja View Post
Nope. The report I sent should have text along the lines of "Simply trying to play the file." I should have been more descriptive.

It's the mkv file in my prior post, if you happen to have missed it: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...73#post1652373
Unfortunately that sample plays fine on my PC. Can't reproduce any crashes here. I can't find your bug report. Got a couple of reports in the recent days, but none with such a description. Maybe it would be best to PM the bug report to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
I get a dropped frame for every fade in/ out while using low as default strength and high as strength during fading. This happens only when smooth motion FRC is also active. When I see the frame drops, all the queues look just fine and I don't see anything suspicious. My queues are set as: CPU - 24, GPU - 16 and frames in advance - 12. If I keep the fading strength same as default debanding strength, there are no dropped frames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
Same Here.
I can reproduce the problem. However, playback still seems perfectly smooth on my PC. It's possible that this is a false alarm in the debug OSD. I'll investigate.
Old 11th November 2013, 10:50   #20834  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
It's technically possible, but I don't like it, so no, sorry. This is really a feature the media player should offer. It's not the video renderer's job. Haali implements this by lying to the media player. Basically Haali tells the media player that the video really only has half the resolution, which is not true. That's the wrong approach, IMHO. Ask the MPC-HC developers to offer this feature. If MPC-HC asks madVR to display the video in half the size, madVR will obey.
Just for general information, MPC-HC (and most probably -BE) has this already. View→Options→Playback→Auto-zoom, and the fitting (if larger) setting most probably does what one wants.

And yes, this most definitely is not something a renderer should implement .
Old 11th November 2013, 10:51   #20835  |  Link
Demonik

Nope, nothing else in the chain, lav splitter > lav video decoder, default settings.
0.85.3: http://i.imgur.com/U8VW4Hy.png and 0.85.4: http://i.imgur.com/HSKyHD8.png
Old 11th November 2013, 11:13   #20836  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEB View Post
Just for general information, MPC-HC (and most probably -BE) has this already.
Oh, cool.

Quote:
Nope, nothing else in the chain, lav splitter > lav video decoder, default settings.
0.85.3: http://i.imgur.com/U8VW4Hy.png and 0.85.4: http://i.imgur.com/HSKyHD8.png
Ok, I've compared the 0.85.3 and 0.85.4 source code and the only things that changed that I could imagine making a difference are the following:

(1) DXVA related stuff. You don't use DXVA scaling, do you?
(2) File name tags. Do you use those?
(3) Custom pixel shader stuff. Do you use those? Try switching the pixel shader related "trade quality for performance" options. Does that make a difference?

Other than that I don't know what could be going on here...
Old 11th November 2013, 12:47   #20837  |  Link
XeoneR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeoner View Post
How to completely disable those blasted popups
about timestamps or filenames in the left upper corner?

Quote:
These are from MPC-HC. Maybe there's an option in MPC-HC to disable those? I don't know.
Hmm indeed, though i haven't seen them for ages. Haali never renders these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeoner View Post

Quote:
It's technically possible, but I don't like it, so no, sorry. This is really a feature the media player should offer.
Ok that's clear.

I'm switching haali to mad. The cpu load is pretty high.
Almost can't handle rendering of a full bd. What would be the most perf optimized settings?
Scaling algos should be the most demanding? Right? But even switching these to gpu
and applying video frame normal (w/o scaling?) i still get the same high cpu load.
XeoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 13:05   #20838  |  Link
Demonik

Tried switching scaling and performance options, the same. but i did find one option that makes a difference. If i set RGB output level to TV in both versions, it looks the same in both.
screens: http://i.imgur.com/TRZDWbI.png and http://i.imgur.com/zIll0XB.png

Last edited by Demonik; 11th November 2013 at 13:11.
Old 11th November 2013, 13:29   #20839  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I'm switching haali to mad. The cpu load is pretty high.
Almost can't handle rendering of a full bd. What would be the most perf optimized settings?
Scaling algos should be the most demanding? Right? But even switching these to gpu
and applying video frame normal (w/o scaling?) i still get the same high cpu load.
Most stuff is performed on the GPU by madVR. So switching most of the options doesn't make any difference to CPU performance. Forced film mode is pretty much the only madVR algorithm that runs on the CPU at the moment. So I fear unless you're using Forced film mode, there's not much you can do to lower CPU consumption when using madVR. Have you tried the different rendering modes (windowed, overlay, fullscreen exclusive mode)? Is the CPU consumption equally high in all of them? Maybe in the long run I can lower CPU consumption a bit. I don't know. But at the moment my priority is on other things...

Quote:
Tried switching scaling and performance options, the same. but i did find one option that makes a difference. If i set RGB output level to TV in both versions, it looks the same in both.
RGB output levels in the GPU? In the decoder? In madVR? Why did you have them set to different levels?
Old 11th November 2013, 13:42   #20840  |  Link
Demonik

In madVR. They were both running with PC levels (0.85.3 and 0.85.4) when i switched them to TV i've noticed the issue doesn't occur. So versions starting from 0.85.4 behave badly only if the output is set to PC. Starting with 0.86.4 TV levels are also affected. Hope this helps?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling