Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 2nd March 2023, 12:06   #1  |  Link
YaBoyShredderson

Handbrake vs staxrip producing different framerates

I am testing out some settings in staxrip and trying to use ffmetrics (vmaf) to compare but am having issues.

The source when loaded into media info says 23.976 (24000/1001) and the encode says 23.976 without the fractional part.

This seems fine, however when i load it into ffmetrics it says the source is 23.98 and the encode is 23.81, and its highlighted red as a mismatch. The vmaf scores are useless as a result, as they are around about 35, which is obviously not accurate.

I worked around this by encoding the file to ut video or whatever its called, a lossless codec and using that as the reference, and now it works, with vmaf in the high 90s.

Handbrake doesnt have this problem, however (the colour range for the encode is red, stating TV, but the framerate is correct) and media info retains the fractional component and ffmetrics works as intended.

In handbrake i selected constant framerate, same as source. In staxrip, i have tried to figure out how to fix it, i selected the framerate manually to 24000/1001, and also clicked force constant framerate timestamp generation, but nothing works, always comes out at 23.81, and vmaf doesnt work.

This problem occurs with all codecs, but the only relevant here are x264 and ut video.

How do i fix this?

EDIT: I unchecked the extract timestamps option, which makes media info report the correct framerate of 23.976 (24000/1001) and doesnt leave out the fractional component. However, vmaf still doesn't work. Only getting 32.98 vmaf.

Last edited by YaBoyShredderson; 2nd March 2023 at 12:34. Reason: Additional information
YaBoyShredderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2023, 00:07   #2  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBoyShredderson View Post
I am testing out some settings in staxrip and trying to use ffmetrics (vmaf) to compare but am having issues.

The source when loaded into media info says 23.976 (24000/1001) and the encode says 23.976 without the fractional part.

This seems fine, however when i load it into ffmetrics it says the source is 23.98 and the encode is 23.81, and its highlighted red as a mismatch. The vmaf scores are useless as a result, as they are around about 35, which is obviously not accurate.

I worked around this by encoding the file to ut video or whatever its called, a lossless codec and using that as the reference, and now it works, with vmaf in the high 90s.

Handbrake doesnt have this problem, however (the colour range for the encode is red, stating TV, but the framerate is correct) and media info retains the fractional component and ffmetrics works as intended.

In handbrake i selected constant framerate, same as source. In staxrip, i have tried to figure out how to fix it, i selected the framerate manually to 24000/1001, and also clicked force constant framerate timestamp generation, but nothing works, always comes out at 23.81, and vmaf doesnt work.

This problem occurs with all codecs, but the only relevant here are x264 and ut video.

How do i fix this?

EDIT: I unchecked the extract timestamps option, which makes media info report the correct framerate of 23.976 (24000/1001) and doesnt leave out the fractional component. However, vmaf still doesn't work. Only getting 32.98 vmaf.
Hi, just my 2 cents..

You could give RipBot264 or FastFlix a try ??

RipBot264 (Pauly Dunne builds)

FastFlix

RipBot264 modded builds..
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
framerate, handbrake, staxrip, x264