Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 22nd May 2024, 06:15   #1  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Should we create a better database of AVIsynth plugins?

The AVIsynth wiki doesn't really seem up to the task. It's a wasteland of broken links and out-of-date versions. For example, it thinks that the most recent version of TIVTC is v1.0.28, but if you follow the wiki's link to the Doom9 forum page, it says the most recent version is v1.0.5, and there's a link to v1.0.5, but if you click on that link, it's dead, because Tritical no longer hosts his stuff at bengal.missouri.edu and he never updated the links in that thread to point to his current website.

There are plugins that have one version for WinXP and another version for newer Windows. There are plugins that have separate versions for AVIsynth 2.60 and AVIsynth Plus. There are plugins where the official version depends on Microsoft Visual C++ runtimes, but a fork exists that doesn't require those runtimes. The AVIsynth Wiki isn't keeping up with ANY of this, and although these different versions can be found in various threads on Doom9, they're scattered all over the place and require some deep searching.

Can we do better? Should we do better?

EDIT: whoops, it turns out that TIVTC version 1.0.2x is newer than 1.0.5! I always thought that 5 came after 2 but not in software development land apparently.

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 22nd May 2024 at 06:18.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 06:25   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Much like Avisynth and Doom9, the wiki is a free project managed by people in their free time, so it's natural that not everything is gonna be captured there but people are trying their best to keep it updated. I guess the only way to make it better is to contribute to it. Anyone with an account can edit things. I regularly contribute; for instance I've recently updated the Cube section with the difference between the two interpolation methods, the BWDIF section with the XP builds at the bottom, the NNEDI section with an update on the parameters introduced since Jean Philippe picked it up and so on. My contributions are generally minor, there are people who contribute a lot more than me as they're trying to keep the external plugins section updated, but of course it's a community project, so the more people contribute and review existing pages, the better they're gonna be.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:21   #3  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
EDIT: whoops, it turns out that TIVTC version 1.0.2x is newer than 1.0.5! I always thought that 5 came after 2 but not in software development land apparently.

Apparently some people think that 28 is less than 5.
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2024, 02:08   #4  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
Anyone with an account can edit things. I regularly contribute
I wasn't aware that randoms could create accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
Apparently some people think that 28 is less than 5.
0.28 is less than 0.5

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 26th May 2024 at 02:14.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2024, 08:07   #5  |  Link
rwill

Quote:
0.28 is less than 0.5
I hope you don't run Linux or are in Software Engineering...
rwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2024, 11:56   #6  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

To be fair it is not the least ambiguous numbering (or easy-to-automatically-compare) scheme that could have been chosen.
Old 27th May 2024, 08:21   #7  |  Link
Ritsuka

x.x might be ambiguous, but x.x.x can't be interpreted as a decimal number, what would the number after the second "." even mean?
Ritsuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2024, 07:45   #8  |  Link
DTL

Quote:
The AVIsynth wiki doesn't really seem up to the task. It's a wasteland of broken links and out-of-date versions.
It is the natural end of white civilization - no more digital video at home - no more personal computers at home - no more need of AVS at general public. As you see most of development also ended in the 201x with end of digital video cameras and personal computers at home.

The era of 199x..200x when we have:
1. (analog and digital) video at home
2. personal computers at home
3. enough educated humans at this planet with brain power to develop software for digital video processing like AVS and plugins
will never more return at this civilization.

End of civilization is the time of 'massive calculations' in the form of neural networks making 'magic' so the last AVS plugins are RIFE and avs-mlrt to interface with this magic. Most of old human-designed plugins are really no one needed. Some short article about this http://www.incompleteideas.net/IncId...terLesson.html

"There are plugins where the official version depends on Microsoft Visual C++ runtimes, but a fork exists that doesn't require those runtimes."

Typically every new build with every new Visual Studio version can cause new C++ runtime redistributable requirements. Also with new compilers like Intel C it is also required some 'redistributable .dlls' from Intel development environment to load and run. See the latest 2.7.46 mvtools2 release from pinterf in 2024 year as example.

Last edited by DTL; 13th June 2024 at 08:07.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2024, 08:50   #9  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I agree with you.
If anything, what people/newspapers claim to be "AI" (i.e those glorified neural networks) made people dumber and lazier. I've seen far too many people using Copilot and GPT for anything. No good old searches, no trying and testing, no trying to reason around a problem or even wonder. They just ask stuff in a prompt and then blindly trust whatever gets outputted as unique and undisputed truth, no matter how random and subject to bias or hallucination that might be.
Not that doing a willy nilly Google Search without questioning the output is any better, though, but still...
Newspapers say that AI made things better, but from what I'm seeing, if anything, AI made everything worse.
Thanks to large language models we now have totally erroneous and wrong Google Search results with things flooded by incorrectly computer generated text subject to hallucination. It's getting harder and harder to get actual true factually correct references to the point that nowadays it's no longer enough to just google something, you actually have to pay attention on which sources it's coming from. Before this mess, Google used to quote pretty legitimate and factually correct websites but this is no longer the case. The fact that Microsoft is trying to fit the word "Copilot" in as many places as it can doesn't help either. Google is doing the same with Gemini and if anything they made Google Search worse (and it was already bad before that) so that it now advices people to eat rocks (yes really, search for it if you haven't heard the story). It looks like they're scaling it back now, but they quite literally broke the web for a few days which isn't great by any stretch of imagination. Apple is late to the party but they're now going all in on this thing and they're trying to claim that "AI" doesn't stand for "Artificial Intelligence" but rather "Apple Intelligence" to which I thought Craig was high or something. Luckily Doom9 is still a safe harbor for people and human generated text. Most of the advices here come from people who spent years, decades of their lives encoding stuff, dealing with all sort of issues and screw ups and experimenting with several different solutions. Doom9 is and always has been a source of invaluable information, but in a world in which factually correct human generated text is getting harder and harder to find, it has become even more important. Also, although in the last few years we've seen a decline in people who were interested in encoding and I sort of became anxious about the future of this community, lately we've actually seen an increase in user traffic and questions. The reason for me isn't that there are more people interested in encoding than in the last few years, but rather that with the flood of wrong / superficial / computer generated info on the broader internet, those who actually need help and need a human being to talk to (I mean to interact to via good old style forum posts) come to Doom9.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2024, 16:29   #10  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

So well put, FranceBB. Could have come from my hand and I heartily agree.
Old 14th June 2024, 09:20   #11  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
0.28 is less than 0.5
https://semver.org
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2024, 16:15   #12  |  Link
DTL

Developers may want to fix all bugs with N.1 to N.9 versions - so do not add leading zeroes expecting N.001 first bugfix and something like N.845 as finally fixing 845-th bug of the N-feature set release. So if number of bugs too big for single feature set - after N.9 bugfixed version may be N.10 bugfixed version.

So 0.5 may be 5-th bugfixed pre-release before 1.0 release and 0.28 may be 28-th bugfixed version and it is older.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote