Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 4th July 2010, 22:30   #121  |  Link
woah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
ok so a bug report to wd is needed thx

i will use 4.0.0 until enough people report to them, for them to fix it maybe...
Old 5th July 2010, 08:13   #122  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

You can also use 4.1.1 but you have to disable extra compression for the audio tracks if you intend to play the file with such a player.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:41   #123  |  Link
soneca

I also have the WDTV Live and confirm this "problem".
I doubt that this is corrected quickly by WD.
Old 6th July 2010, 10:15   #124  |  Link
cge

Forced and Default flags

Hi,
This is probably a very basic things bug I'd like to clarify it in my mind.
I thought that the default and forced flags are booleen values but there are 3 choices in the drop/down box in the mkvmerge dialog (YES|NO|DEFAULT) ?
Note: from the header editor dialog it's only possible to set them to Yes|No
Regards
Christophe
Old 6th July 2010, 11:04   #125  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mmg has a lot of booleans that contain 'yes', 'no' and either 'default' or an empty value. 'yes' means 'definitely set this value to "yes"'. 'no' means 'definitely set this value to "no"'. 'default' or an empty value means 'please mkvmerge, decide yourself'.

For the 'forced display' flag this means that mkvmerge will keep the value from the source container -- e.g. if you're remuxing from a Matroska file to another Matroska file.

For the 'default track' flag this means that mkvmerge will decide on the information from the source containers and the values of the 'default track' flags of all the other tracks whether or not to set this value.

In all cases mkvmerge will either set the value to 'yes' or to 'no'. That's why the header editor also only lets you chose between 'yes' and 'no'.

Old 7th July 2010, 00:29   #126  |  Link
sialivi

Any plans to support .flv input files?
Old 7th July 2010, 07:26   #127  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

No support for Flash video files is planned.

Old 7th July 2010, 11:37   #128  |  Link
cge

Hi,
I'd like to know if there is an easy way to change the track order without remuxing ?
I tried to change the track ID using the header editor with no luck !
Thanks
Christophe
Old 7th July 2010, 11:43   #129  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Not really, no. There's nothing in the specs telling a player how to sort the tracks, so most players simply use the order in which they appear in the track headers. Neither mmg's editor nor mkvpropedit allow the track headers to be re-ordered, and such a feature is not planned at the moment.

Old 8th July 2010, 10:42   #130  |  Link
^*^

I have recently bought new Samsung LED TV which is unable to play MKV files with new audio compression. I have to specify "none" each time I add an audio stream. This is easy, but also easy to forget about it. Muxing of 30 GB file to external HDD takes about 40 minutes. And sometimes this time is wasted due to wrong compression setting. It is very unlikely that Samsung will correct its firmwares, and therefore I would be very grateful that You add in program options a checkbox, which will make "audio compression - none" as default.
Old 8th July 2010, 11:03   #131  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

@Mosu
I think that you should disable audio compression by default. It only causes more confusion. You've added that feature too late
Old 8th July 2010, 11:58   #132  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^*^ View Post
and therefore I would be very grateful that You add in program options a checkbox, which will make "audio compression - none" as default.
Sorry, but I won't.

Old 8th July 2010, 12:01   #133  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
@Mosu
I think that you should disable audio compression by default. It only causes more confusion. You've added that feature too late
Sorry, but I won't. Users have several options (some better suited than others for different kinds of users): keep using an earlier version; force compression off; use the command line which makes forcing easier; get the player vendors to support this feature that's been part of the specifications for eight years now.

Old 8th July 2010, 12:13   #134  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Sorry, but I won't.
Why is it so important for you that the default be enabled? Don't you care at all about the grief this causes users? Isn't it a trivial matter to enable the option if you want it? Doesn't backward compatibility mean anything to you?

Please don't get mad at me. I'm just inquiring as a concerned user.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:20   #135  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I'm concerned about backwards compatibility, but at the specs level. The specs haven't changed in this regard, this feature just has never seen very wide use until now. Haali's muxer has always supported header compression (muxer, not only the demuxer!), but it hasn't been enabled by default.

What I'm trying to do at this very moment is to get companies to update their software to support a wider range of the specs. Now is a good time for such a move due to an already existing major change in mkvtoolnix 4.0.0 (default values aren't written anymore) and due to the changes necessary for WebM playback. That's why I'm pushing for it now.

The Matroska project has always been about pushing into unchartered territory. If we were satisfied with the status quo then we'd still all be using AVIs or MP4 and neither OGM nor Matroska would have seen the light of day. Yes, this process is often painful, but you don't get (technical) advancement for free.

Old 8th July 2010, 12:45   #136  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
What I'm trying to do at this very moment is to get companies to update their software to support a wider range of the specs. Now is a good time for such a move due to an already existing major change in mkvtoolnix 4.0.0 (default values aren't written anymore) and due to the changes necessary for WebM playback. That's why I'm pushing for it now.
Seems to me that if you were serious about that you would have removed the option to disable it.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:55   #137  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I'm not about forcing everyone to push my agenda for them. I like to give the users a choice. The choices themselves are often not what the user would prefer though (e.g. use older versions of the software).

There's a technical reason why I don't let users chose in the 'default values' case: the libraries mkvtoolnix uses makes it very hard to not write default values and still create valid WebM files. I don't have that much time to fix this properly.

The 'compression' case is different. It's technically trivial to let the user chose in this case. Even the modifications in mmg were trivial because the 'compression' selection box was already present, it just couldn't be used for non-subtitle tracks.

Old 8th July 2010, 13:33   #138  |  Link
nurbs

I second the request for an option in mmg to turn off audio compression by default. I compared a file (1*AVC/3*AAC/1*SUB/IDX) muxed with 3.4.0 and 4.1.1 and the latter is 0,002% smaller (45kB out of 2.12 GB) and didn't work on any of my hardware. There is zero gain and lots of trouble with that feature.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:39   #139  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

There's no header removal compression with AVC and AAC tracks. VobSub tracks have always been compressed with zlib.

And no, I won't add such an option. Sorry.

Old 8th July 2010, 13:44   #140  |  Link

Source is available. We can make our own branch.
Closed Thread