Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th May 2021, 03:24   #61461  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Why do you want to use Fullscreen Exclusive mode?

In Windows 10 Fullscreen Exclusive is fake anyway, I get better results not using it at all now.
I have to use FSE or I get glitches (visible and in OSD). This is with latest Windows 10 and Nvidia 1660 drivers.
glc650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 06:38   #61462  |  Link
Asmodian

Have you tried setting the frames presented in advance to one?

Last edited by Asmodian; 11th May 2021 at 07:08.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 14:30   #61463  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

@crmb

Same thing happened to me when I decided to test windowed overlay, it seems that the profile is applied twice resulting in increased saturation and crushed blacks.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 22:33   #61464  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Have you tried setting the frames presented in advance to one?
That gives me dropped frames and the madVR OSD flickers. If I set to 2 or 3 I still get dropped frames (but OSD is displayed correctly).

If I leave at 8 i get glitches (that are visible and show in OSD).

If I set high enough above 8 I still get visible glitches (but they don't show in OSD) and audio can go out of sync.

If I set at 8 or higher with one of the flush options enabled for "after copy to backbuffer" the visible glitches seem to go away but audio still goes out of sync.

FSE is the only way I've found around all of this. I also noticed that with FSE enabled my composition rate is always 60hz (even when display and file is 23) but that doesn't seem to have any negative (visible or in OSD) effects.
glc650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 16:52   #61465  |  Link
BluesFanUK

Can MadVR render a VR video? Potplayer has a neat option where you can switch between 2D and 3D, if MadVR is selected it won't work, vid just plays as if it's side by side.
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 22:37   #61466  |  Link
DennisF

Evening again, FYI solved my previous question, the Directshow graph pin connection wasn't made with ConnectDirect() but Connect() which got some other filter in the way which' allocator didn't support what I wanted.

New question, everything works but madVR crashes upon trying to stop. After reading through the Directshow docs I've tried 2 approaches:
- Deliver a EndOfStream() to the graph and let it run without delivering further frames. Leads to crash and entering the madVR debug window. Last call from madVR64.ax is GlobalWindowProc (direct3d.cpp, line 106) and after a few calls it hits an exception.
- Call Stop() on the graph's IMediaControl interface. Leads to another crash without madVR's debug window popping up.

Is there anything special here to take into account wrt madVR?
DennisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 05:11   #61467  |  Link
crmb

Quote:
It sounds like Windowed Overlay isn't working as it should, which GPU do you have?

Windowed Overlay is supposed to bypass the color profile so it must be applied manually by madVR. Checking disable gamma ramp stops it from applying the color profile manually, but it doesn't disable it globally.

Turning off Windowed Overlay should change the behavior to disable the color profile globally when madVR is running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Same thing happened to me when I decided to test windowed overlay, it seems that the profile is applied twice resulting in increased saturation and crushed blacks.
I have a 1060GTX with latest drivers.
Yes without "windowed overlay", and with "disable gamma ramp" ticked the window profile is globally disabled.
If i untick "disable gamma ramp" the global profile come back and is also applied (once) to the player.

I think windowed overlay helped on some video that dropped frames (maybe when i was moving the player across monitors)

Last edited by crmb; 13th May 2021 at 05:16.
crmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2021, 04:44   #61468  |  Link
lostclusters

Hello all:

I am trying to get madVR configured in MPC-HC. After everything installed, configured MPC-HC, run up a video to get started and madHcCtrl.exe gives me a system error "The code execution cannot proceed because unrar.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." I searched up and down and found nothing useful. And of course madVR will not load. How do I stop/fix the error?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I fixed it. I found a post on Stackoverflow.com (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-split-archive), downloaded the file, used winrar to open the .exe (can not be too careful these days), put the unrar.* files in the madVR directory, and voila! Success! I leave this here in case anyone else is looking for a fix to this problem. Oh, the 64 bit edition of the .dll would not work for me.

Last edited by lostclusters; 16th May 2021 at 05:21.
lostclusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2021, 05:37   #61469  |  Link
huhn

the unrar.dll should be delivered with the madVR download.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2021, 18:53   #61470  |  Link
lostclusters

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the unrar.dll should be delivered with the madVR download.
You are correct! And I'll be damned. That file is in the archive here and in the I got off the main madVR site. Why it did not get into the madVR directory is a mystery to me. When I looked for it in the directory I installed and did not find it, I did look in the archive file. I looked where it should have been and did not see it. I noticed today that the files in the archive are not in alphabetical order. My bad. It was late and there was an abundance of bourbon flowing in my beverages that evening. Anyway that is my story and I am sticking to it.
lostclusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2021, 21:18   #61471  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

lostclusters, Windows Defender might have removed the dll. I'm not sure about the exact time, but I had a beta madvr version installed and madTPG stopped working somehow. It was due to a false positive. I use madTPG with DisplayCal to calibrate my monitor every month or two, but one day it errored. Some file required by madTPG was missing. I have put the madvr directory in the excluded option for now.
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 19:53   #61472  |  Link
tp4tissue

the gamma ramp should automatically be disabled when using a 3dlut created with vcgt applied.

Otherwise, if the vcgt is not selected in 3dlut creation, the gamma ramp should remain enabled. <no good reason to do this, because it's inaccurate>

You should still measure it to make sure it's working right, random things can happen.

I recommend taming the gamma using hcfr FIRST if your panel/tv allows it, that way only minor correction is necessary in the vcgt, and your other system UI when the ramp comes off during playback look pretty close to correct.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 19th May 2021 at 20:10.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 20:04   #61473  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
@crmb

It's not crushing blacks, it's bringing the blacks down to mastered lvls , which may be "lower" than what your display may be capable of, so it looks crushed. This is especially problematic on IPS panels.

There're actually no good shadow solutions for IPS, best to just never watch movies on them. The rec1886 gamma function will pull out the detail so to speak, but everything will look grey, and you'll probably be at gamma 1.8 at the bottom end.

As for Saturation, it will look increased when the gamma drops. But they are at the correct target unless you're using the saturation or preserve saturation intents.

In general, I actually recommend preserve saturation and saturation, because the accurate red always look faded on colorimetric, red just isn't visually impactful in srgb/rec709 gamut.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 19th May 2021 at 20:14.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2021, 09:55   #61474  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

So, what do you suggest for ips display, to use windowed overlay or to use the default direct3d 11 for presentation?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2021, 21:49   #61475  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
So, what do you suggest for ips display, to use windowed overlay or to use the default direct3d 11 for presentation?
I use d3d 11 and everything checks out, i haven't tested all conditions relative to windows overlay. But i know there's nothing fishy going on with 3dlut use under 11.
Old 24th May 2021, 19:41   #61476  |  Link
NDUS

After trying MadVR's display mode optimization feature, my second monitor is occasionally going black for 1~2 seconds every 15~30 minutes. Not exclusively during video playback, but rather at any given time.
I reset the timings and then deleted the optimization profile, and tried the few things one would immediately try (restarting Windows, removing monitor power cable, reinstalling GPU drivers, reinstalling monitor drivers, etc.)
Nonetheless, the problem persists. FWIW I have a somewhat nonstandard monitor setup (240hz primary + 60hz secondary)

I can't be 100% positive that MadVR is the cause, but it immediately started after I started messing with MadVR display modes. Any ideas?

Last edited by NDUS; 28th May 2021 at 15:49.
NDUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2021, 20:19   #61477  |  Link
andrew89898

I am new to PC playback - I am using madVR, LAV filters and 4K blu ray on a 21:9 HDR monitor. I have a movie which is switching between 21:9 and IMAX / roughly 16:9 aspect ratios. I found this thread on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidema...g_using_madvr/)

I have tried all of the madvr options and made sure my video renderer is nvidia, which it now is but the black bars remain in the 21:9 sections on all 4 sides. I can get it to zoom in but this zooms the IMAX areas in too.

Anything I can try to fix this show the IMAX content full with side bars and then zoom back in for the 21:9 parts?

Thanks.
andrew89898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2021, 02:57   #61478  |  Link
tp4tissue

set it to dxva2

if you're using tonemapping use copyback. Then turn on the zoom control.
Old 25th May 2021, 03:10   #61479  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, DXVA2 Copyback.
Old 25th May 2021, 22:48   #61480  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Why do you want to use Fullscreen Exclusive mode?

In Windows 10 Fullscreen Exclusive is fake anyway, I get better results not using it at all now.
what do mean by fake ?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling