Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 12th May 2021, 18:01   #1  |  Link
hello_hello

New, New Moon / Pale Moon / Mypal for XP

Have the other XP users here already discovered Mypal, and I'm just slow again?

For anyone who hasn't found it, I stumbled across Mypal today.
I made a coy of my New Moon profile folder, told Mypal to use it, and it ran ran without a hitch. None of my existing add-ons exploded and so far, everything appears to be working as it was before. I think that's almost a first after a browser upgrade, at least since I started using Firefox 756 years ago, or whenever it was.

As best as I can tell, the current Mypal version is based on the current Pale Moon.
For anyone wanting to give it a test drive, the installer provides an option for installing Mypal as a fully portable version.

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 18:23   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I'm actually using New Moon but there's also Serpent which is an XP compatible fork of Firefox, here: http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser?m=1

Binaries are updated regularly.
By the way, you're gonna find the XP community on MSFN (and to a lesser extent on Ryanvm), we're all there, but we also have a Skype group called Windows XP forever in which you'll find me, Peter, Dibya, Samuel etc. These names might not tell you much, but we're the ones behind One Core API, which basically comprehends a custom kernel and HAL which includes an unlocked PAE up to 64GB of RAM on 32bit systems as well as backported calls from newer version of Windows. It took a lot of time and several sleepless nights in front of IDA Pro (it's a disassembler), but we've done it.

http://shorthornproject.com/onecoreapi.html

Add me on Skype (francebb1) and I'll add you to the group.

Last edited by FranceBB; 12th May 2021 at 18:25.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 18:53   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

FaBB, does Serpent have working Add-Ons ? [MyPal dont yet, I'm tryin it now, on W7, x86 version].
I posted this in FaBB Hard drive thread, I think you might have missed the post as was last post on previous page [default settings]
before chmars posted earlier today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
The wp.xin.at guy is/was here on D9 [Last post July 2020]:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...57#post1763757
Above concerning XP compatible x265 site.

Any recommendations for Firefox alternative on Android, I really dont like their new-ish excuse for a browser.
[I may hunt back through my archive of firefox versions to get something usable again.]
EDIT: Ideally with FireFox add-on capability.

Thanx to you both.

EDIT: D9 Quick Links dont work proper in MyPal [well, dont appear at all].
EDIT: Thread Tools, Search This thread, and Display Modes, dont work either, jump to bottom of thread page.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 13th May 2021 at 17:55.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 16:39   #4  |  Link
therube

Quote:
working Add-Ons ? [MyPal dont yet, I'm tryin it now, on W7, x86 version
What do you mean by that?

NoScript (legacy) & DownThemAll working just fine.
I'd imagine most any (legacy) extension should work.

(MyPal x86, Win7 x64)
therube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 17:58   #5  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

No matter what I enter in addon search[incl the two you mentioned], I get "Could Not find Any Matching Addons".
EDIT: I did not try to add xpi file.

EDIT: I tried add UBlock Origin addon from file,
"This add-on could not be installed because MyPal does not support WebExtensions",
Same for NoScript.xpi.

EDIT: "mypal-29.2.0.win32.installer.exe"

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 13th May 2021 at 18:06.
Old 13th May 2021, 18:37   #6  |  Link
hello_hello

StainlessS,
Try uBlock origin from here.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy

For anyone needing instructions on how to migrate, assuming you've been using New Moon or Pale Moon with add-ons installed (or legacy Firefox), find your current profile folder. For XP the default location is somewhere such as

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Moonchild\Pale Moon\Profiles

Make a copy, then after you've installed it, find the Mypal profiles.ini file

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Mypal\profiles.ini

Edit it so Mypal will use the copy of your old profile folder, wherever it's located. If you put the copy of your profile folder in
Application Data\Mypal\profiles
You might have to use IsRelative=1
I can't remember for certain.

I changed the profile folder's name to Mypal.

Code:
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=MyPAL
IsRelative=0
Path=D:\My Stuff\Data Files\MyPAL
Default=1
Run Mypal and you should be where you left off with New Moon or Pale Moon. All the working add-ons I was using with New Moon have continued to work with Mypal. Any dedicated Pale Moon add-ons should also work. https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/

If you installed Mypal as a portable version, I think it's just a matter of copying your old profile folder to the profile folder where MyPal is located.

Edit: I'm still using an old version of TabMixPlus (0.4.2.0) as I recall having problems with the newer Pale Moon versions and New Moon. I think I'd give up using the internet if TabMixPlus stopped working. The older version works fine for me, so as it aint broke I haven't bothered trying to update it again since.

Last edited by hello_hello; 13th May 2021 at 19:47.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 20:56   #7  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
StainlessS,
Try uBlock origin from here.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy
Thanks HH, that did the trick.

Old 18th May 2021, 02:42   #8  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
we're the ones behind One Core API, which basically comprehends a custom kernel and HAL which includes an unlocked PAE up to 64GB of RAM on 32bit systems as well as backported calls from newer version of Windows. It took a lot of time and several sleepless nights in front of IDA Pro (it's a disassembler), but we've done it.
Okay but like... is it XP that's been modified to include stuff from NT 6.x, or is it Vista that's been modified to act more like XP? Is it a complete OS or just a bunch of files that we drop on top of an existing Windows installation? Does it accept Windows 10 drivers and therefore run on hardware made in the past 5 years? I keep hearing about your project every so often but details have always been extremely sparse.

If it's basically XP but modified to work on modern hardware and run Win7+ programs then I need that injected straight into my veins right effing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
FaBB, does Serpent have working Add-Ons ? [MyPal dont yet, I'm tryin it now, on W7, x86 version].
The newest versions of Pale Moon and Mypal are derived from Firefox 52 so most Firefox 52 addons should work with them. Additionally, all Pale Moon addons should work with Mypal, assuming the same version number.
Old 19th May 2021, 15:44   #9  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

You can use a regular copy of Windows XP and install One Core API on it.
It basically has a modified kernel as well as other things, but don't think it's the fix to all the problems around XP. The compatibility it hardly Windows 7, so it has pretty much all the API backported from Vista and implanted to the XP kernel, but that's pretty much it, so it will NOT work with Windows 10 drivers, but hey at least you can have USB 3.0 or NVME support...
Old 19th May 2021, 21:23   #10  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
The newest versions of Pale Moon and Mypal are derived from Firefox 52 so most Firefox 52 addons should work with them. Additionally, all Pale Moon addons should work with Mypal, assuming the same version number.
Thanks, I've got a bunch of FireFox v52 add-ons.

Old 20th May 2021, 06:52   #11  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
You can use a regular copy of Windows XP and install One Core API on it.
It basically has a modified kernel as well as other things, but don't think it's the fix to all the problems around XP. The compatibility it hardly Windows 7, so it has pretty much all the API backported from Vista and implanted to the XP kernel, but that's pretty much it, so it will NOT work with Windows 10 drivers, but hey at least you can have USB 3.0 or NVME support...
Well that sucks. There ought to be a project to get XP to work on modern hardware.
Old 20th May 2021, 10:20   #12  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
Well that sucks. There ought to be a project to get XP to work on modern hardware.
That's the main goal but disassembling with IDA Pro and backporting kernel calls and API without breaking anything is an hard thankless job and none of us feels like spending countless sleepless nights on it any longer...
Definitely not me, although Samuel (samuka it's the nickname) is still doing it, so is Dibya...
Old 20th May 2021, 18:49   #13  |  Link
Katie Boundary

I will give each of you $50 if you can make WinXP work with Windows 10 drivers from AMD, Intel, and Nvidia.