Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 20th April 2007, 13:43   #41  |  Link
linx05

Get the latest version of DVD Rebuilder: 1.24.0 then retry.
linx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 18:18   #42  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I've seen many DVDs that have a progressive movie (encoded as interlaced as I'm talking about PAL DVDs here) and interlaced extras in the same VTS. To get the best out of the source, the encoding mode should be set to progressive for the movie.

My question is: what happens during the rebuild phase when you manually change the encoding mode from progressive to interlaced and does it affect playback in any way? In NTSC it's probably a completely different story but what about PAL?
Old 29th June 2007, 14:44   #43  |  Link
jdobbs

What is Redistribution?

Thought this is something that ought to be added to the FAQ. The text below was posted by Boulder (the originator of the concept) in the original redistribution discussions.

1) Why did you come up with this silly method?

I originally began developing it when I used to cram two movies per DVD. I quickly noticed that the average quant levels between the two movies were very uneven - one would have ~3.5 whereas the other would have ~6.0. This is, of course, not a good thing so I began thinking about how I could fix the situation. One thread by DDogg (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=74141) in the DVD2SVCD forum actually helped me come up with the initial idea.

2) What is the purpose of the method?

- to shift bits from less demanding segments to those that need more
- to avoid the problems caused by using the original bitrate distribution especially if the original source is CBR or near CBR
- to maintain equal quality throughout the whole video

3) What do you do the OPV/CQ pass for?

The OPV/CQ encode acts only as a compressibility test. Every segment is encoded using the exact same parameters so a bitrate-hungry segment will have a higher average bitrate than a segment that doesn't need as much to keep the same quality level. This means that from the results of the compressibility test encodes, we can calculate a bitrate ratio which can then be used to redistribute the available space for video between the segments.

After the compressibility tests have been run and the bits have been redistributed between segments, the encoding process continues just like in any normal DVD-RB project.

For fastest possible processing, you can run the redistribution pass without any filtering.

I have not tested the effects of different Q/quant values. I usually use Q30-40 in CCE and q4-5 in HC for doing the pass. IMO the most important thing is that the bitrate stays below the specified maximum because when the bitrate gets close to the maximum, the quants need to be raised. This can prevent the redistribution from being optimal.

4) What are the pros and cons of the method?

pros:
- equal quality throughout the whole video (and DVD when all VTSs are in the same redistribution pool)
- all the pros of OPV/CQ encode apply but you get accurate filesizes

cons:
- the redistribution pass takes extra time

5) How do you know that the method works?

Lately I've been capturing a lot of DVB stuff which I then re-encode as they usually need quite heavy filtering. I often put 3-4 episodes per DVD. I've used the method for determining the average bitrate per episode so that the quality would remain constant. When all the episodes have been encoded and I've checked the log, the average quant levels have been roughly the same. The variance has usually been in the range of 0.1-0.2 units which is a very small difference IMO. If I had encoded every episode at the same average bitrate, the variance would have been much larger.
Old 29th June 2007, 15:39   #44  |  Link
rack04

So how does one actually run this OPV/CQ and redistribution?
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2007, 02:04   #45  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
So how does one actually run this OPV/CQ and redistribution?
You just check the option on the mode menu. It all happens automatically from there. If you're doing a series disc, also add "redist_all=1" to the "[Options]" area of the REBUILDER.INI file. But don't forget to remove it or disable it for non-series discs. It never actually does OPV or CQ except in the analysis (during PREPARE) -- just to equalize quality across the segments -- it is designed for use with normal multi-pass encoding.
Old 4th August 2007, 04:04   #46  |  Link
FoXMuLD3R

How do convert DVD in PAL to NTSC?
DVD Rebuilder Pro can made this? How?
Old 4th August 2007, 05:50   #47  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

DVDRB does not do framerate conversions.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 04:44   #48  |  Link
FoXMuLD3R

doubt about framerate conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
DVDRB does not do framerate conversions.

Regards
DVDRB does not be a framerate conversion or is CANNOT Be a framerate conversion?

Any Tools can made this?!
Old 14th August 2007, 05:57   #49  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

A little bit of manual work?
Old 9th September 2007, 09:12   #50  |  Link
wmansir

Q. The Segment Viewer doesn't work. It just shows a black screen where the video should be. How can I fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquid View Post
I do not have Vista but disableing xvidvfw.dll (I used mmcompview to do this) got rid of problem of the segment editor viewer not working for me.

mmcompview (from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mmview.html) allows easy disableing/enabling of individual codes to help track down the problem. I did not have to even restart RB to see the impact of changes.

See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=92439&

Installing the lastest v6.6.1 divx video codec from www.divx.com did not cause any problems for me.
wmansir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 01:30   #51  |  Link
klemperal

RB Pro's Key limit

I donated a while back for RB Pro and over the course of time have had to do multiple fresh installations of windows. upon my last installation, RB Pro informed me that I had exceeded the amount of allowed computer IDs (something along those lines) and RB pro wouldn't run. I sent an e-mail where I was instructed to--how long should I expect to wait until I'll be allowed to run RB Pro again?
klemperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 18:38   #52  |  Link
jdobbs

Sorry, bad timing. You caught me while I was out-of-town for few days and I can't reset your count from here (hitting the key limit is a very rare occurance since it gets reset regularly). You'll get a response later tonight.

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st September 2007 at 18:41.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 21:20   #53  |  Link
klemperal

Thanks man. Also, thanks for making such a great program. Nothing else compares when your talking quality, and flexibility.
klemperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 11:42   #54  |  Link
jdobbs

-- --
Old 11th October 2007, 18:15   #55  |  Link
goshawks

Back in June, there was this dialogue:

rack04 said:
"So how does one actually run this OPV/CQ and redistribution?"

jdojbs replied:
"You just check the option on the mode menu... It never actually does OPV or CQ except in the analysis (during PREPARE) -- just to equalize quality across the segments -- it is designed for use with normal multi-pass encoding."

I just checked the Mode menu on DVD-RB Pro v1.26.3, and it is not immediately evident to me which is the proper option to check. Could you give the actual line name? (Newbie...) Thanks.
goshawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 23:32   #56  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Enable Bitrate Redistribution. And upgrade to 1.26.5

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 17:17   #57  |  Link
samuelal

Hello.

Dear Mr. jdobbs, thank you very much again for this great program!

I've got a question for you, that I wanted to ask for a long time regarding the redistribution phase, I've searched a bit and didn't find reference so my apologies in advance:

Is it possible when encoding just 1 single large VTS (i.e. "Main Movie" mode) to get the redistribution going on all available CPUs?
Or does this process must remain entirely linear?

Regards,

Samuel.

**subscribed**
samuelal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 03:30   #58  |  Link
help

Why is not possible to make a DVD backup with main movie, menu and some extras if they fit on a DVD5 without reencode? Why DVD ReBuilder has to reencode?! I don't get it.
help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 10:52   #59  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelal View Post
Hello.

Dear Mr. jdobbs, thank you very much again for this great program!

I've got a question for you, that I wanted to ask for a long time regarding the redistribution phase, I've searched a bit and didn't find reference so my apologies in advance:

Is it possible when encoding just 1 single large VTS (i.e. "Main Movie" mode) to get the redistribution going on all available CPUs?
Or does this process must remain entirely linear?

Regards,

Samuel.

**subscribed**
The redistribution gets completed relatively quickly (5 or 6 minutes) when you use a reasonably small sample size, so I didn't think it would be necessary to split it across CPUs... but I can certainly take a look at it.
Old 28th October 2007, 10:54   #60  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by help View Post
Why is not possible to make a DVD backup with main movie, menu and some extras if they fit on a DVD5 without reencode? Why DVD ReBuilder has to reencode?! I don't get it.
If it will fit, DVD-RB will not reencode. It will simply demux the video, and then remux using only the parts needed.