Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th January 2009, 16:07   #41  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinaka View Post
I don't know how AMV is because I've never used it. If you notice any error, please report the author Amaman directly. I've never contacted with Amaman. But if you have any difficuty to contact with him by e-mail, tell me, and I'll help you by translating it into English, for example.
Do you have his email address? I tried emailing him via his PayPal email address but have had no reply.
easy2Bcheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 15:06   #42  |  Link
tobinaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy2Bcheesy View Post
Do you have his email address? I tried emailing him via his PayPal email address but have had no reply.
I found his hotmail address at the license agreement in AMV installer. But I don't know this address can be the solution if you haven't received any reply yet... If you don't receive the reply after sending e-mail to hotmail address, please tell me again. Then I'll ask him by e-mail by myself in Japanese.
tobinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 17:48   #43  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

Thanks - I've just written to the Hotmail address.

UT codec is very nice... on my i7 machine I can run multiple 720p60 RGB streams in realtime in Premiere Pro. The decoding speed of this codec makes it great for video editing.

Is higher compression ratio possible?

What does your friend think of the lossy mode in AMV? Is it something he would look to implement in UT?

A good quality lossy RGB/YUY2 mode would make UT a competitor/alternative to paid-for codecs like CineForm and you wouldn't need to use a RAID array for capture.

Last edited by easy2Bcheesy; 8th January 2009 at 17:51.
Old 9th January 2009, 03:05   #44  |  Link
johnsonlam

Quote:
Is higher compression ratio possible?
Sorry for breaking in.

IMO, if higher compression rate will reduce the capture speed, I'd prefer UT keep the fast capture ability.

There're other codec which focus at compression ratio such as Largarth or MSU, their compression ratio is higher, maybe you can consider them as codecs for archive purpose.
Old 11th February 2009, 08:55   #45  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

I've been using UT extensively in the last couple of days and can suggest an improvement. Right now, the codec doesn't remember its settings (ie the compression mode utilised). So every time you start a new capture session, you need to reset which compression mode you want to use. It would be VERY useful if the codec would use the last mode you selected rather than having to reset it all the time.

I really want to use the Median mode extensively - it offers a big compression boost over the other mode, and on the Core i7, it plays back in realtime too.
Old 11th February 2009, 09:24   #46  |  Link
tobinaka

Quote:
I've been using UT extensively in the last couple of days and can suggest an improvement. Right now, the codec doesn't remember its settings (ie the compression mode utilised). So every time you start a new capture session, you need to reset which compression mode you want to use. It would be VERY useful if the codec would use the last mode you selected rather than having to reset it all the time.
I successed to reproduce your report... I didn't mind of it because I've used Ut on "Predict left" mode. Thanks for your request, I'm agree with you. I'll tell him right now. But I'm jealous of you to be able to use Core i7!
Old 11th February 2009, 09:27   #47  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonlam View Post
Sorry for breaking in.

IMO, if higher compression rate will reduce the capture speed, I'd prefer UT keep the fast capture ability.

There're other codec which focus at compression ratio such as Largarth or MSU, their compression ratio is higher, maybe you can consider them as codecs for archive purpose.
Let's just say that if you need a fast, high-compression lossless codec, there's something good coming Soon™.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 01:53   #48  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Let's just say that if you need a fast, high-compression lossless codec, there's something good coming Soon™.
You're talking about FFV2, right? Can you tell something about it (speed and compression efficiency compared to FFV1), or it's still too early to tell anything?
Tommy Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 02:00   #49  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Carrot View Post
You're talking about FFV2, right? Can you tell something about it (speed and compression efficiency compared to FFV1), or it's still too early to tell anything?
Too early to tell. Preliminary analyses suggest an intra compression efficiency about halfway between FFVHuff+Adaptive Huffman Tables and FFV1 with faster decoding speed than FFVHuff. Might get a lot better when context-adaptive VLC tables are added. But it isn't going to be intra-only, and we won't know about inter compression efficiency until we try it.

Some data

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 12th February 2009 at 02:03.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 15:23   #50  |  Link
tobinaka

Ut Video ver 5.2.2 has come today.

Version 5.2.0
New features
ULY2: Add support for RGB32 input when encoding.
ULY0: Add support for RGB32 input when encoding. (but low speed)
ULY0: Add support for RGB32 output when decoding. (but low speed)

5.2.1 and 5.2.2 are for fixes.

He's already known about easy2Bcheesy's request when I told him because he watched here... wait a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Too early to tell. Preliminary analyses suggest an intra compression efficiency about halfway between FFVHuff+Adaptive Huffman Tables and FFV1 with faster decoding speed than FFVHuff. Might get a lot better when context-adaptive VLC tables are added. But it isn't going to be intra-only, and we won't know about inter compression efficiency until we try it.

Some data
That sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to trying to use it someday.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:38   #51  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

Hi, please let me know when my suggestion is included!
Old 13th February 2009, 14:38   #52  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

Hi, please let me know when my suggestion is included!
Old 14th March 2009, 13:35   #53  |  Link
vsv

Ask same as easy2Bcheesy
vsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 17:42   #54  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

Any news on when UT Codec will be updated with the fix I suggested? It seems a very easy thing to do!

What new plans are there for improving the codec? Can compression ratios improve, even if you need more CPU power? I love it and use it for realtime HD capture virtually every day.
Old 24th March 2009, 06:51   #55  |  Link
johnsonlam

Quote:
Any news on when UT Codec will be updated with the fix I suggested? It seems a very easy thing to do!

What new plans are there for improving the codec? Can compression ratios improve, even if you need more CPU power? I love it and use it for realtime HD capture virtually every day.
I surfed to author's site (Japanese), seems he's doing the codec among his large hobby list, so don't expect him to update often.

And I've use it instead of HuffYUV, it's very stable and not much room to improve, of course you can suggest your good idea through "tobinaka" san.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:35   #56  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

To be fair, the author himself says that he wants to match Lagarith compression. As I said, I love UT Codec and use it every day, but its compression limit appears to be similar to Huffyuv with adaptive frames (some way off Lagarith) and having to reset the codec's compression scheme every time I switch programs is a bit of a pain that's easily fixed.
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:15   #57  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

Another bug I have found is that sometimes the amount of threads being used is set to 105 (!). It seems to happen if I use UT in After Effects, then go back to capturing using it in VirtualDub.
Old 8th July 2009, 15:49   #58  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

version 5.2.3 available.

Bug fixes * common: rarely outputs broken frame when encoding.
Chikuzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 12:02   #59  |  Link
tobinaka

I'm sorry I haven't written in so long. I had a trouble with my graphic board etc. It's been a long time since I visited the forum last.

As Chikuzen said above, Ut Video Codec Suite version 5.2.3 is available now.
readme (English)
installer
source

easy2Bcheesy, I'm afraid that the author may not be up for your suggestion now. He has never said so, but I'm sorry I can't help saying so, though I think it well-worth considering. Please wait with patience. It's opensourced, then it could be faster to fix it up by yourselves on the forum.

By the way, though it's not the main topic here, AMV2 and 3 were also updated. And another new lossless video codec "ZeroCodec" was just released yesterday, but I've not tested it yet. While it's important to note ZeroCodec's author says it's still full of bugs, a famous news site in Japan picked it up and it's drawed attentions.

-AMV Video Codec (Shareware)
http://amamaman.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

-ZeroCodec v1.0.0 (Freeware not opensouced - ATTENTION! all in Japanese)
http://xrowcc.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/386/
Old 12th July 2009, 10:05   #60  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

Zerocodec doesn't seem to work on my Vista x64. It just won't install.

I'm really disappointed that the codec settings for UT aren't being stored properly. It's the only annoying thing about what is otherwise a great codec. It is an obvious problem and if I could fix it myself, I would...

I do find that AMV has far lower CPU utilisation though and the file sizes are much smaller in most cases, but it loses its efficiency when you set every frame to be a key frame, which I need for my purposes.