Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th May 2023, 04:18   #31481  |  Link
MrVideo

I got to thinking (ya I know, a dangerous thing) that the split path issue probably caused the internal IVTC to fail. It was. Once I turned off my IVTC scripting and turned back on IVTC_1080i=1, It went to completion and the ASSUME value was correct.

A big takeaway is not to do your own IVTC unless you can find a way to get the ASSUME value to either go away, or be correct.

So, that leaves only one thing: how to get the HEVC encoder to be used.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2023, 04:48   #31482  |  Link
MrVideo

From what I can determine, ENCODER=0 means the x264/x265 software encoders and ENCODER=1 means the nVidia hardware encoder.
Old 8th May 2023, 06:18   #31483  |  Link
MrVideo

It has been one frustrating event after another. I've now tried Alternate Movie output, which lets me set MKV with HEVC, keeping the audio.

That goes to completion, but VideoReDoPro hangs when trying to open the MKV file. Even if I import the HEVC audio and AC3 audio into VRD, It reads in the files, but again hangs when I tell it to open the result. VLC plays the MKV file and TsMuxer will read in the MKV file.

VRD will open the MKV file from the standalone nVidia encoder. But, I can't use it for the job to go from MPEG-2 to HEVC because the encoder can't be told to do IVTC.
Old 8th May 2023, 07:54   #31484  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Oh, just one more thing... How can I get a Denoise filter to work. It won't load and run any kind of Denoise dll's for some odd reason (again, the mystery of why some dll's when loaded run and some don't..) Can anyone suggest a Denoise filter that WILL run in the version of AVS that is present for BDRB? (2.58?) Just for the hell of it, here is a picture of my plugins folder. Maybe someone can tell me why some of them run and some of them are simply not recognized with the error: '***** does not exist'
The denoising filters which are included in standard Avisynth installation are listed here under "Pixel restoration filters":
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Interna...ration_filters

More advanced filters require the installation of the plugins (and dependencies). You find these plugins here under the Denoisers section:
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#Denoisers

(I haven't been using BDRB for a long time, so I don't know what gets installed, but I would assume that one of the standard filters should work. You could try SpatialSoften() and TemporalSoften() for example.)

P.S.
It's pretty pointless to attach files here as these might not get approved for a long time. Upload to a file hoster instead.

Last edited by Sharc; 8th May 2023 at 08:02.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2023, 05:50   #31485  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
The denoising filters which are included in standard Avisynth installation are listed here under "Pixel restoration filters":
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Interna...ration_filters

More advanced filters require the installation of the plugins (and dependencies). You find these plugins here under the Denoisers section:
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#Denoisers

(I haven't been using BDRB for a long time, so I don't know what gets installed, but I would assume that one of the standard filters should work. You could try SpatialSoften() and TemporalSoften() for example.)

P.S.
It's pretty pointless to attach files here as these might not get approved for a long time. Upload to a file hoster instead.
Excellent, I will check on that, thanks!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2023, 05:55   #31486  |  Link
Lathe

Something else than what I was working on... I'm trying to reencode an HEVC MKV file into a regular BD. So far, the only way I can see which is fine to do that is Alternate Movie Output MKV intact audio. I set it for a CRF of 18 and a file output size of 16,000 so that I have enough room for the TSMuxer mux to BDMV overhead and so that I can add back in the HD audio file. What is interesting is that BDRB is I guess 'checking' on the CRF to use to fill the output size, but I didn't remember it taking so long to 'Analyze' the video. It's on its 3rd pass of analyzing and each pass is taking about 7 minutes! Seems like I remember doing this a long time ago and each analyzing pass only took like 30 seconds. Weird... But, as long as it works, that's okay

***EDIT

WHOA! It is on its 4th analyzing pass and it is going to take 45 minutes! HUH...?! Why is it taking so long to 'Analyze' the video even before it begins to process it? Am I missing something here...?

***EDIT 2

Hmmm, wait a minute... The last number, what I THOUGHT was the 4th analysis pass is in brackets [21.88] so maybe that is the final CRF it landed on, and the 45 minutes or so is how long the actual encode will take. I checked in the WORKFILES folder, and what I THINK is the resulting AVS.264 file is growing, so maybe just those first 3 passes were 'checks' But, the resulting size doesn't seem like it is going to be any where near the 16,000 that I set it...??? It's about 25% done and the resulting file is about 1 Gig. Hmmm... I am definitely missing something here. Shouldn't it have chosen a CRF setting to 'fill' the output size that I set? I was going to burn the resulting TSMuxed file to Blu-ray, so I have plenty of room to fill most of it, but somehow I didn't set it properly...

***EDIT 3

Okay, here is the log of I THINK what BDRB is doing. Doesn't it LOOK like the resulting size should be about 18 Gigs or so? Doesn't it show a Resize factor of 3.x (original size approx 6 Gigs)? I am indeed missing something... The resulting size was 3.8 Gigs...??? HUH...

[Status]
VERSION=v0.61.28
SOURCE_SIZE=5987063808
SOURCE_VIDEO_SIZE=5987063808
TARGET_SIZE=18559795200
REDUCTION=3.09998286225046
RESIZE_1080=0
RESIZE_1440=0
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=eng;
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=-1
SUBS_TO_KEEP=eng;
BACKUP_MODE=1
MOVIEONLY_TYPE=11
USE_LAVF=0
INSTANCES=1
DGDECNV=0
DGDECIM=0
FRIMSOURCE=0
FFMS2=0
SSIF_MODE=0
UHD_V3_MODE=0
QUICK=0
ENCODE_STEP=1.5
[00000]
AUDIO=
PGS=
VIDEO2=0
V2MBRATE=0
M2TS_TARGET=18559795200
SPLITS=1

[05/11/23] BD Rebuilder v0.61.28
[21:41:38] Source: _00000
- Input BD size: 5.58 GB
- Approximate total content: [01:34:32.625]
- Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
- MOVIE-ONLY/ALTERNATE OUTPUT mode enabled
- Mode: MKV Container, 1920x1080, Intact Audio
- Quality: Very Good (Very Fast)
- X264 Tweak(s) enabled
- UHD-BD source detected.
- Decoding/Frame serving: FFMPEG
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
[21:41:38] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [21:41:38] Processing: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
- [21:41:38] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
- [21:42:04] Reencoding video [VID_00000]
- Source Video: HEVC, 3840x2160
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 136,007 frames
- [21:42:04] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 1
- Analyzing 2.00 20.55 21.80 [21.88]

***EDIT 4

OH WOW! The colours look awful! Heh, I'm REALLY going to hafta get up to snuff on this stuff. The original HEVC file did have HDR which I know has something to do with the colour. When I play the original file, the colours are super deep and rich. When I play the resulting reencoded x264 file, OMG everything looks horrible and washed out.

Sooooo... Who here wants to kindly give me an education on this...? DAMN it looks bad!

Last edited by Lathe; 12th May 2023 at 06:53.
Old 12th May 2023, 07:33   #31487  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
When I play the resulting reencoded x264 file, OMG everything looks horrible and washed out.
HDR is H.265/HEVC only. So, you can't put the file onto a regular BD, only on a UHD formatted BD. That means you'll need a UHD BD player.
Old 12th May 2023, 08:19   #31488  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
HDR is H.265/HEVC only. So, you can't put the file onto a regular BD, only on a UHD formatted BD. That means you'll need a UHD BD player.
Ah, that is true my very detailed friend, however I just found out that I can use Handbrake (no disrespect to JD of course ) and it has a colourspace setting, BT709 where it converts the HDR to SDR. It may not be perfect, but let me tell you, it looks a HELL of a lot better than the encode I just did above! I've already done a preview on it, and it looks great! I would love to use BDRB, but I don't know if it has that capability.
Old 13th May 2023, 03:32   #31489  |  Link
Lathe

I'm wondering if it is possible to use BDRB with the BT709 colourspace? I've currently tried Handbrake and it worked well, but it doesn't seem to have a target size, so I can't allow it do an encode that will fill a Blu-ray. I've also tried Vidcoder, which is almost identical, but it DOES have a target size, which I'm currently running now. It takes quite a LONG time. I'm guessing that there must be a TON of computations in order to resize it from UHD to HD, and also converting the HDR to SDR. I'd be very curious to see if I could run the same thing with BDRB, because I would always prefer that if possible. I'm not planning on doing a lot of these conversions, but at least it's nice to know they can be done if 'needed'

On the DVD I'm trying to improve... Spacial Soften did not seem to work, but Temporal soften does, although I read it is not as effective. It does seem to help some, but I'm getting to learn the parameters. There still is a bit of motion blur, but I'm guessing at this point after doing an IVTC to it, there is likely not much I can do about it. But, it IS much better than the HD file for sure! I wonder if there are any other denoising filters that I could use that either come with Avisynth or that I could drop in my plugins folder and then load and run it (I still haven't quite figured out why some dll's run and some don't.

I'll try to render a little snippet with the settings I have so far and post it here so that you guys can take a look and offer any other suggestions that might improve it. I'll mess with the colours, brightness, and contrast later. I HAVE used that plugin successfully many times before, so I am very familiar with that one (except I don't quite remember the actual name of it at this moment )

Last edited by Lathe; 13th May 2023 at 03:35.
Old 13th May 2023, 04:17   #31490  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I'm wondering if it is possible to use BDRB with the BT709 colourspace? I've currently tried Handbrake and it worked well, but it doesn't seem to have a target size, so I can't allow it do an encode that will fill a Blu-ray.
I do not know exactly what your source is. If it is smaller than a 25GB BD, then don't try and make it larger. If it is larger, then I can understand the need.

I'm beginning to believe that you do not have the capability to play 2160p UHD material. True?
Old 13th May 2023, 04:46   #31491  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
I do not know exactly what your source is. If it is smaller than a 25GB BD, then don't try and make it larger. If it is larger, then I can understand the need.

I'm beginning to believe that you do not have the capability to play 2160p UHD material. True?
Ah, always the master of deduction

True!

My 15 year old Plasma is still going strong and looking very good. My primary Blu-ray player is also about a 10 year old OPPO BDP-83 PreCinamvia that I just got serviced at OPPO. Sooooo... Until my television dies, which could be any moment, I must deal with 1080.

As far as the size of the output, you may very well be right (could be the very first time! ) I guess I'm just thinking that if the encoder has to go through all this computation and conversion, that if I am making a compliant Blu-ray anyway, why not allow the space so that in all that number crunching I won't lose any/much quality. But, that may be completely wrong, IDK... I do know in principle that just taking any source and simply making it bigger does not make it any better (not counting other personal areas of course...) But, this whole converting from UHD to HD and all this HDR to SDR stuff, I honestly am a bit lost that since I have to do all this heavy duty reencoding anyway, would allowing more space help that at all...?
Old 13th May 2023, 05:39   #31492  |  Link
MrVideo

Think of MPEG-2 -> H.264 -> HEVC as two times better for each transistion. So, if you had a 30 Mbps MPEG-2 file, going to H.264 would require encoding at 15 Mbps to keep the same quality. To go from H.264 to HEVC would mean encoding at 7.5 Mbps.Plus, the size of the file would be smaller. I do not know the ratio for file size changes.

If the HEVC file you are working with is already < 25GB, you would, in theory, encode at a rate that is twice the rate of the HEVC file. But, that means a file size increase. An original file that is less than half of a BD, you'd probably be OK at twice the H.264 bitrate. The higher the bitrate, the longer it takes to encode.

You can get great H.264 files with a bitrate of 8-10 Mbps. I've done a lot of x264 encoding of MPEG-2 to H.264 (2-pass) at those bitrates, doing IVTC.

Experimentation will be required. After you've done it a few times, a pattern will fall into place so that the next job will be easy.

Just don't try and make the result ~22.5 GB each time. If it only comes out to 8 GB, so be it. Nothing will be gained by going larger.
Old 14th May 2023, 05:54   #31493  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Think of MPEG-2 -> H.264 -> HEVC as two times better for each transistion. So, if you had a 30 Mbps MPEG-2 file, going to H.264 would require encoding at 15 Mbps to keep the same quality. To go from H.264 to HEVC would mean encoding at 7.5 Mbps.Plus, the size of the file would be smaller. I do not know the ratio for file size changes.

If the HEVC file you are working with is already < 25GB, you would, in theory, encode at a rate that is twice the rate of the HEVC file. But, that means a file size increase. An original file that is less than half of a BD, you'd probably be OK at twice the H.264 bitrate. The higher the bitrate, the longer it takes to encode.

You can get great H.264 files with a bitrate of 8-10 Mbps. I've done a lot of x264 encoding of MPEG-2 to H.264 (2-pass) at those bitrates, doing IVTC.

Experimentation will be required. After you've done it a few times, a pattern will fall into place so that the next job will be easy.

Just don't try and make the result ~22.5 GB each time. If it only comes out to 8 GB, so be it. Nothing will be gained by going larger.
That sounds like a good guide...

Also, about the plugins in my Avisynth folder NOT loading... Here is an example that you asked for:

DirectShowSource("Moontrap002.mkv")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\UnFilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\TemporalDegrain.dll")
TemporalSoften(4, 4, 8, 15, 2)
TemporalDegrain()

##UnFilter(20, 20)

Now, with the DVD source that I am now working with, I've defeated the Unfilter for now. But the damn TemporalDegrain is sitting RIGHT IN my damn plugins folder, but when I try to load it I get the error, 'There is no such plugin' GRRRRRrrrrr! WTF guys? It's like Russian Roulette (no disrespect to Russians) what will load and work and what won't. It SEEMS totally random and EXTREMELY frustrating!
Old 14th May 2023, 12:00   #31494  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
That sounds like a good guide...

Also, about the plugins in my Avisynth folder NOT loading... Here is an example that you asked for:

DirectShowSource("Moontrap002.mkv")
TemporalSoften(4, 4, 8, 15, 2)
TemporalDegrain()

##UnFilter(20, 20)

Now, with the DVD source that I am now working with, I've defeated the Unfilter for now. But the damn TemporalDegrain is sitting RIGHT IN my damn plugins folder, but when I try to load it I get the error, 'There is no such plugin' GRRRRRrrrrr! WTF guys? It's like Russian Roulette (no disrespect to Russians) what will load and work and what won't. It SEEMS totally random and EXTREMELY frustrating!
Load your script in Vdub2, and see what it says.
If need be, test your script with AVSMeter
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2023, 14:11   #31495  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Plugins that are in that path are not specifically loaded. When the computer is started, avisynth is automatically loaded, it then automatically loads all plugins in that path.

TemporalDegrain is not a dll. Google it and go to the avisynth wiki link.
Old 16th May 2023, 03:52   #31496  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Load your script in Vdub2, and see what it says.
If need be, test your script with AVSMeter
Actually I did DL and run AVSMeter as per Selur's suggestion. He suggested this huge C++ and Windows pack to install. I THINK that plugged some of the 'holes' He also told me to use LoadDll. I'll hafta go back and check the syntax, but basically use that Dll and then load the whole path to the FF3Wwhatever dll that wasn't recognized to run some of the other stuff.
Old 16th May 2023, 03:54   #31497  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Plugins that are in that path are not specifically loaded. When the computer is started, avisynth is automatically loaded, it then automatically loads all plugins in that path.

TemporalDegrain is not a dll. Google it and go to the avisynth wiki link.
Yeah, in my desperation I renamed TemporalDegrain to a .dll suffix, but I did revert it back to an .avsi as it is supposed to be. ONE of these bloody days I'll understand what the hell is going on with all these plugins in Avisynth
Old 16th May 2023, 05:32   #31498  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
but I did revert it back to an .avsi as it is supposed to be.
.AVS not .AVSI. Instructions for its use are in the link.
Old 16th May 2023, 08:44   #31499  |  Link
Lathe

So, I've been spending hours and hours trying to get this movie to look at least somewhat watchable. The good news is now after Selur's suggestion to install all those C++ and Visual Runtimes, and who knows what else (it took about 10 minutes) now most of the dll's do run after being loaded, so I get to try out all this stuff.

I just couldn't deal with the washed out and super ghosty/comby DVD print, so I've been working with the screwed up HD print. But, since I've been able to get the denoising and decombing filters working, I think after a LOT or trial and error, I am getting there. First, I tried TemporalSoften, but it didn't seem strong enough, so I then went to the Denoise and that is a lot stronger. Then, I'm trying to resharpen it and found a supposedly good edge sharpener vsMSharpen (it sure it great to be able to run all these dll's now )

Anyway, this film is NEVER going to look 'good', but at least I THINK I'm 'improving' it considering the messed up encode I started with. Oddly, when I just tried dropping my original AVS code into BDRB and set it for Alternate Output, the same resolution, intact audio, and a CRF of 16, for some reason it still 'analized' the CRF values and chose 12.x...??? Then, when it was done 3 hours later, the audio was WAY out of sync, even though the runtime of the resulting file was the same as the original file and audio. Again...HUH??? Using those settings didn't look that great anyway, but I was very disappointed mainly in the file being out of sync.

I FINALLY figured out how to use MKVMerge to set the FPS correctly after a million tries (DAMN syntax!) Anyway, I've just been using the x264 CMD line set to ultrafast so I can do small snippets and see how they look. Again, VERY oddly when I tried to set the SAR according to Selur's values for both PAL and NTSC, none of them would render the aspect ratio correctly, so I just eliminated the line. Another really odd thing is that the original HD MKV file shows as 25 FPS in MediaInfo, but the resulting encode using the CMD line always renders it as 20 FPS...??? And, if I change it using MKVMerge to 25, then it runs too fast. WTF...?!! So, I leave it alone and it SEEMS to be the right speed. Hopefully, when I'm done screwing around with the video, I can somehow get the audio in sync with it (uh huh... sure...)

I even tried using AssumeFPS(25/1) and Assume FPS(boolean string for either PAL or NTSC) But, nope... the CMD line renders it at 20 FPS EVERY time no matter what. Oh well...

So, here's a snippet with the following code that I've come up with so far (still, not really knowing what the hell I'm doing, but at least doing it...) And, I'll link to the snippet on my site. I know it still looks hideous, but at least MOST of the combing and ghosting and noise is gone, so we'll see if I can figure it out before I die...

Here is the code I have currently come to after a whole bunch of trial and error (after loading all the dll's first, of course):

TComb(mode=2, fthreshC=6, othreshC=6)
assumeTFF()
TFM().TDecimate()
DeNoise(getvar=false, var=120, evar=160, xgrid=5, ygrid=7)
vsMSharpen(threshold=2.0, strength=90.0, mask=false, luma=true, chroma=true)
UnFilter(90, 90)

I just grabbed a nice USB thumb drive from Amazon so that I can put the various encoded snippets on it and then play them directly on my OPPO to see how they look. Interesting that the OPPO natively incorporates some kind of filters automatically when I play the original file which does help some, but it still looks pretty bad.

But, I have a LONG ways to go! Any suggestions would be great. It honestly IS a really good film, so I want to keep at it

http://lathe-of-heaven.com/AVSSnippet.mkv

Last edited by Lathe; 16th May 2023 at 08:47.
Old 16th May 2023, 11:19   #31500  |  Link
MrVideo

OK, you were getting 20 fps results from 25 fps because you were doing IVTC to the video. 25 fps video doesn't have 2:3 pulldown, ever. The TFM().TDecimate() line needs to go away.