Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 15th December 2021, 00:00   #1  |  Link
mytbyte

HDR to SDR tone-mapping box for Windows PC

I have a non-HDR 4K TV with 600 nits peak brightness that I'm already using with HDD-based HDR content via MPC HC and MadVR renderer. However, I'd like to also get Netflix HDR or other HDR streaming content play on it. Of course, MadVR can't do that so I've actually come up with the following cunning plan:

Activate Window's HDR option to get Netflix app to unlock HDR content, tone-map it to 600 nits peak SDR to play on the TV. In order to do that I'd need an external box that would mimic an HDR TV i.e. present itself to Windows as HDR compatible in order for me to be able to activate HDR. Obvioulsy, the box must also be able to perform HDR to SDR tone-mapping.

Does anyone know of such a box, except MadVR Envy or Extreme, with less extreme price. Does HDFury line offer anything?

Hope I have explained it right.

Thanks.

Last edited by mytbyte; 15th December 2021 at 00:03.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2021, 11:41   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

You'll likely get a better experience just streaming in 4K SDR and letting the TV just do its thing. Crank the luminance!

SDR is relative, not absolute. Just because it's generally mastered on a 100 nit display doesn't mean your display can't stretch things out to 600 nits

Are you one of the literally dozens of people who bought a 4K SDR TV with some decent coverage of P3 / Wide Color Gamut (WCG)? If so you may actually benefit from what you describe, since at least you'd get some of that delicious wide gamut color. The good news? Congratulations, you're the posterchild for HLG! It's 100% designed for you.