Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th November 2008, 11:43   #1  |  Link
video_magic

MP4 Tags and Tagging. Please provide good info.

This is a request to the experts on the MP4 container:
What tags are actually supported, both officially, and in the real world of popular hardware and applications?

I've successfully created a lot of MP4s containing h.264 and AAC using MP4Box and I want to add some information like a title (for example, whatever the VHS tape was called that it was encoded from)and maybe also a comment.

I've read and searched quite a lot but I am confused by references to: 'brand'??, meta fields, Apple-specific versions, AAC tagging with Winamp / Nero apps, 'Atoms', etc etc.

Bearing in mind that I only want to add two tags - TITLE and a COMMENT, is there an MP4 standard for this, and please tell me, if so,- what are the tag names and what command (preferably using MP4Box) to use, failing that what other program and command?

Thanks
Old 5th November 2008, 21:13   #2  |  Link
bond

see question 9 in the mp4 faq

defacto tagging standard is apples way of tagging

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 10:11   #3  |  Link
video_magic

Thanks, I had already read all through the FAQ section before 'though!

It says about the MPEG-4 specification of a Meta Atom for tags, but then only goes on about the Apple way and some programs for adding Apple Tags, leaving me none-the-wiser about how to do it the MP4 standard way.

"9) How can i tag MP4 files?
The MPEG-4 Standard defines the "meta" atom to be used for storing tagging-like information, but Apple has introduced a different tagging way with iTunes using the "udta" atom with utf-8 tags (see question 8)
There are various tools for adding apple-like tags to MP4 files, like mp4tags from mpeg4ip, tg or AtomicParsley"

I appreciate your answer that the De Facto is to use Apple Tags, but I would still like to know the MP4 specified way and how to do it - simply because it is mentioned and I like to think that my archives are going to be within the spec
Thanks.
Old 6th November 2008, 19:51   #4  |  Link
bond

i dont know any tool that does it the standard way

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote