Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd March 2018, 13:42   #501  |  Link
takenori

cheers for all the help mayble ill look for the cheapest one later.
does calibration needs to be done on a regular basis or its a one time thing only?

another thing, i had sets madvr dislay mode as 2560x1440p120, 2560x1440p100, 2560x1440p144,
but when playing 30 and 60fps video this what i get

madvr only change composition rate, display still at the native rr, and and to be sure, i run them with reclock and it reported that my display still not changed to 120hz.
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 13:48   #502  |  Link
huhn

windows 7?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 13:59   #503  |  Link
takenori

its win10
Old 2nd March 2018, 21:37   #504  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenori View Post
does calibration needs to be done on a regular basis or its a one time thing only?
It is a one time thing, displays do change some over time so re-calibrating once a year or so is good, but compared to the un-calibrated state these are very minor changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenori View Post
madvr only change composition rate, display still at the native rr, and and to be sure, i run them with reclock and it reported that my display still not changed to 120hz.
Do you have G-sync enabled? G-sync and madVR do not interact well. It would do this if you had the "Preferred refresh rate ([Display Name])" set to "Highest available". Set it to "Application-controlled" if you want madVR to use a set refresh rate with G-sync enabled (but you don't want G-sync enabled...).

With G-sync enabled at all the refresh rate is a little soft and you cannot use custom timings, but you can create a setting for your player in "Program Settings" and set "Monitor Technology" to "Fixed Refresh". This helps a little but it isn't the same as disabling G-sync completely.
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:11   #505  |  Link
huhn

win 10 composition issues are related to the windows version amd GPU driver.

if you are not at the newest version give that version a try bit may not help.

if you are using 2 screen at the same time try it with one to see if that fix it.

windows 10 composition rate is not as broken as in windows 7 but it is still problematic.
Old 3rd March 2018, 02:20   #506  |  Link
takenori

im using nvidia and my monitor is a freesync 2. freesync set to off already
Old 10th March 2018, 23:04   #507  |  Link
cr0n=0sTT88

When does the imageupscalling option work?
We assume that I play the movie in full screen.

If I have a movie of 600x400 and the screen resolution is fullhd, does imageupscalling work here?

If I have a fullhd movie and the screen resolution is also fullhd, does imageupscalling work here?

and the chromaupsamsung function? Does it work the same as imageupscalling?

NGU is always the best algorithm? for image/chroma upscalling I say.
I want to use MadVR with a projector and I need configure it.

My projector is JVC x500 and has the function of scaling the image input to 4K. I do not know if it is better to enter the signal to the projector in fullhd format or 4K format from windows. If I play a fullhd movie and it is upscaled to 4K via madVR, is it better for JVC? or is better play direct in FullHD from madVR and send the fullhd signal direct to JVC? JVC upscalling 4K or MadVR upscalling 4K? this is the question. What is better for the best image quality?

sorry for my poor english.

Thank you!

Last edited by cr0n=0sTT88; 10th March 2018 at 23:08.
cr0n=0sTT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 23:49   #508  |  Link
Asmodian

Image upscaling works when the image needs to be upscaled.

Yes, 600x400 to 1920x1080 requires upscaling.

No, 1920x1080 does not require upscaling. However, you can have madVR double the resolution and then downscale it again if you enable super-sampling with one of the doubling algorithms. I don't recommend this.

Chroma upscaling is a more complicated concept. Almost all consumer video has 4:2:0 chroma subsampling which means that FHD video has the luma at 1920x1080 but both chroma layers at 960x540. To convert to RGB the chroma and luma resolutions must match and chroma upscaling is what madVR uses to do it.

NGU is very good but best is not something we believe in here.

I would use madVR to upscale to 4K, assuming your GPU is strong enough, madVR's upscaling is very high quality with a lot of options to adjust it to be ideal for your eyes, projector, and screen.
Old 11th March 2018, 15:50   #509  |  Link
cr0n=0sTT88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Image upscaling works when the image needs to be upscaled.

Yes, 600x400 to 1920x1080 requires upscaling.

No, 1920x1080 does not require upscaling. However, you can have madVR double the resolution and then downscale it again if you enable super-sampling with one of the doubling algorithms. I don't recommend this.

Chroma upscaling is a more complicated concept. Almost all consumer video has 4:2:0 chroma subsampling which means that FHD video has the luma at 1920x1080 but both chroma layers at 960x540. To convert to RGB the chroma and luma resolutions must match and chroma upscaling is what madVR uses to do it.

NGU is very good but best is not something we believe in here.

I would use madVR to upscale to 4K, assuming your GPU is strong enough, madVR's upscaling is very high quality with a lot of options to adjust it to be ideal for your eyes, projector, and screen.
Thank you very much for the information! I have a GTX 1060 card with 6GB of memory.

I currently use NGU standard with high quality for Image and chroma upscaling.

Apart from these 2 options, what other options can I use to improve the image quality as much as possible? Are these two options the most important in MadVR? Is it worth buying a more powerful graphic card to add more improvement options?

My projector has not HDR option and I use MadVR real-time conversion HDR to SDR option. I use this only in 4K videos. But the most of the videos that I see are fullhd and 4:2:0.

Thank you!

PS if I have a video with 4:4:4 subsampling, ¿chroma upscaling is it necessary too?
In the driver of nvidia I've selected RGB full range and 8 bits (for the projector JVC).

Last edited by cr0n=0sTT88; 11th March 2018 at 15:53.
cr0n=0sTT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 16:23   #510  |  Link
huhn

chroma is not scaled if it doesn't need scaling.

it doesn't matter what nvidia is sending your device madVR will always send RGB to the GPU driver.
Old 7th April 2018, 13:28   #511  |  Link
takenori

So, about early next month i decided to get a calibration device for madvr, and right now im choosing either
X-Rite ColorMunki Display or X-Rite ColorMunki Smile.
so in terms of novice user, which should i get? im talking about know nothing, had to follow direction step by step novice. also another brands recommendation is welcome if theyre easier to use.
Old 7th April 2018, 13:49   #512  |  Link
e-t172

I don't know about the ColorMunki Smile, but I can tell you the ColorMunki Display is an excellent sensor. It's the exact same hardware as the more expensive X-Rite i1 Display Pro and has the same accuracy (I have verified that by comparing measurements myself). The only difference between the ColorMunki Display and the i1 Display Pro is that the former is artificially slowed down for marketing reasons, so it takes more time to do the measurements.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 17:23   #513  |  Link
Asmodian

Given that the Smile is marketed for "your monitor and iOS devices" I recommend against it but it is supported by DisplayCal (Argyllcms) and would probably offer decent results on a LCD with LED back-light. It does have fewer factory profiles, it only has options for LCD with CCFL back-light or LCD with LED back-light. Given that LCD with LED back-light is very common this may work fine for you but the ColorMunki comes with support for:
A refresh type display - The refresh period is measured, and the integration time adjusted appropriately. [CB2]
CRT (Hitachi CM2112MET, Diamond View 1772ie)
LCD CCFL IPS (CCFL AC EIZO HP with CORRECTION)
LCD CCFL Wide Gamut IPS (WG CCFL NEC241 271)
LCD RGB LED IPS (RGBLED HP SOYO)
LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsung)
Projector (Marantz HP Panasonic Projectors Hybrid EDR)
OLED Family

If you need to save the money the Smile will work and probably give decent results but it isn't the most flexible option.
Old 7th April 2018, 17:31   #514  |  Link
huhn

or you use the correction from the over devices.
Old 26th April 2018, 18:14   #515  |  Link
Klaus1189

What are the differences of GPU flushed / not flushed, ...
I couldn't a find a explanation of that.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 20:33   #516  |  Link
Asmodian

Not much, flushing takes time (not much) bit can help prevent problems is some situations.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:05   #517  |  Link
Klaus1189

OK, thanks.

What is the difference between these flush types?
flush
flush and wait (sleep)
flush and wait (loop)
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2018, 15:33   #518  |  Link
Asmodian

In my testing they are basically the same with the only significant difference being that without a "wait" step madVR cannot measure the rendering time.

Sleep v.s. loop seem about the same except sleep should use less power. Really I do not see any difference between them, I recommend you leave those options on default, I have not heard of changing them being helpful for at least several years. They are options to try to workaround troublesome low end hardware, if you do not have issues do not mess with them.
Old 29th April 2018, 23:20   #519  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Can we agree that low/low debanding is actually set-and-forget? Whenever I disable it PQ decreases but after more thorough testing(and better cables), I would say that deringer strength is too high and destroys details making it only useful on hopeless oversharpened SD content and apparently RCA@1 does wonders on anything not native resolution but I would have to run more tests. Long story short decent 720p30@1080p60 looks better with low/low debanding + RCA@1 but not deringer.

Shame I took deringer for granted for way too long but debanding is a strong asset for sure, unlike deposterizing filters in Avisynth that always did as much harm as good giving a clay look to human faces.....but then again it was all processed in 8bit duh ^^
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 00:25   #520  |  Link
Asmodian

I do agree with that, low/low has never harmed the image in anyway I could prove to myself. Also, sources with truly no banding are few and far between.

I still turn off debanding sometimes, with some UHD content. It is more that I do not see any banding and there is a small performance impact when running debanding on UHD, along with some "untouched" video placebo.

(untouched, except for YCbCr->RGB, NGU, 3DLUT, dithering, and whatever my TV does to it ).