Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th February 2013, 18:52   #81  |  Link
leperlord

Hey mate

Im up and back at it ( a multi task kinda day here tho )

We left off where i created the philips dst encoded from the DSD merged file (PS the DSD merge wasnt only 1.7 gig not 3 ,sorry i made an error in reading. philips dst encoded creates a 804 MB file from that . In foobar DSD merge file is DSD64/5645 kbps/176400 .philips dst encoded is DST64/2400+kbps/176400. DSD merge creates a cue file , but philips dst encoded does not .

Now im onto the Philips superauthor step ,and YIPES , i have no idea where to even start ,where and what to choose and load . It seems obvious i somehow put the philips dst encoded in superauthor ,but thats as far as my brain takes me . Can you please walk me thru this as you did the other steps ?

Cheers
leperlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 21:45   #82  |  Link
Music Fan

I didn't use it for 1 year and it's not even installed on my pc anymore.
But don't worry, it's not very difficult, I discovered it myself without explanations.
Anyway, you will need to read a little bit the help.
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 20:06   #83  |  Link
leperlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post
If foobar plays it correctly, I guess it's good, the compression is maybe more important than what I remembered.

Yes, but you could still have a bad surprise after all these efforts : some players don't play sacd-r.
Here is an incomplete list of tested players ;
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper...patiblePlayers
The messages below this list include some other players.

Thanks again mate

i thought i should update you as i seem completed now . Well it appears i met the bad surprise you spoke of . After many painful hours i managed to get success with superauthor ,i burned a disc from that info ,BUT my Oppo 105 didnt recognize it UGH !!!! Can i ask how old that list of supported players is ? Maybe it came out before the 105 ?As i see older Opps on the support list . I was assured it will support this type ,but perhaps i was misinformed ,or i made some error ? Perhaps i need DVD+R ? Just guessing

Thanks mate its been fun to learn anyhow

Cheers
Old 19th February 2013, 21:57   #84  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leperlord View Post
my Oppo 105 didnt recognize it UGH
Astonishing, as the BDP-83 plays Sacd-r.

Quote:
perhaps i was misinformed ,or i made some error ? Perhaps i need DVD+R ?
I can't answer to this, continue your tests and, if possible, try to play your disc on another player supposed to play sacd-r. If it doesn't work, it means you failed somewhere.
Did you untick Use NeroAPI in Ultra Iso's options ?

You can try to burn the original ISO with Ultra Iso or ImgBurn on a dvd-rw to see what happens.

In the comments below this french test, the tester says the 105 plays Sacd Iso burned on dvd-r ;
http://www.hdfever.fr/2012/12/08/tes...#comment-24426
Quote:
Oui, les ISO S.A.CD gravées sur DVD-R sont lues
=> written in the post of january 16 @ 15H05.
Old 19th February 2013, 22:09   #85  |  Link
leperlord

Quote:
Astonishing, as the BDP-83 plays Sacd-r.

I can't answer to this, continue your tests and, if possible, try to play your disc on another player supposed to play sacd-r. If it doesn't work, it means you failed somewhere.
Did you untick Use NeroAPI in Ultra Iso's options ?

You can try to burn the original ISO with Ultra Iso or ImgBurn on a dvd-rw to see what happens.

In the comments below this french test, the tester says the 105 plays Sacd Iso burned on dvd-r ;
http://www.hdfever.fr/2012/12/08/tes...#comment-24426

=> written in the post of january 16 @ 15H05.

SUCCESS at last

My error was using nero ,i retried with imgburn , and Bobs yr uncle LOL , im so tired , yet so pleased . Wohoott !!!!

What a long tedious process that is,sure is harder than an mp3 rip HAHAHAHA

i hope i remember how to do it again ,getting the time codes correct at the verify stage is the hardest , i kept guessing and after a few hours got it right

Cheers
Old 19th February 2013, 22:19   #86  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
After many painful hours i managed to get success with superauthor ,i burned a disc from that info ,BUT my Oppo 105 didnt recognize it UGH !!!! Can i ask how old that list of supported players is ? Maybe it came out before the 105 ?As i see older Opps on the support list .
Out of interest, what happens if you transfer the SACD compliant files to USB pen-drive. Will the Oppo play them?
Old 19th February 2013, 22:31   #87  |  Link
leperlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Out of interest, what happens if you transfer the SACD compliant files to USB pen-drive. Will the Oppo play them?
Which files do you mean ? The original dffs ? Or ? Apparently Oppo has firmware coming that will make 105 a usb dac..so i can play dffs from my laptop to Oppo .Nice .
Old 20th February 2013, 22:50   #88  |  Link
leperlord

PS

Heres something i just noticed , please advise me if theres need for alarm .

The files i successfully authoured show a much lower kbps than the original .dffs ,Ie originals are 5600+ kbps , where the authoured are 2200+ kbps , and those fluctuate up and down , where as the originals hold at a steady kbps .

At the risk of sounding alarmingly new , is this detrimental to the SACD sound atall ? And so much im better off sticking with the originals , and suffering the loss of having select tracks ?

Also a small thought , is this discrepancy caused by the philips dst encoding step ? And is the philips dst encoding a necessary step ? Its benefits seem to me to compress and fit more on a disc ? But is that worth any trade off in possible sound quality loss ?

Cheers
Old 21st February 2013, 12:27   #89  |  Link
Music Fan

No loss, that's of course a lossless compression.
And yes, it allows to fit more on a disc, which is the aim of a compression.

Quote:
originals are 5600+ kbps , where the authoured are 2200+ kbps , and those fluctuate up and down , where as the originals hold at a steady kbps .
I guess it means DST is VBR (not CBR), but don't worry ; if Super Author accepted these files, it means there are compliant with the Sacd norm (the scarlet book).
Old 21st February 2013, 15:50   #90  |  Link
leperlord

Thanks for clearing that worrisome matter up mate

Cheers
Old 29th September 2013, 20:57   #91  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I have just given Sony's 'DSDtoPCM Playback Plug-in' a try (which works with Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic). But sadly its limited to stereo and its transcoding abilities are not great.

I'm aware that Foobar and J River offer DSD decoding but their applications are, well 'huge'. As they offer encoding, decoding along with loads of other functions!

So... Does anybody know if someone's working on a stereo/multi-channel DSD decoder filter with maybe even bit-streaming capabilities?

Cheers
Old 13th January 2015, 09:20   #92  |  Link
Ghitulescu

SACD ripping

Quote:
The first thing to do is to copy the Sacd with a PS3 with Sacd Extract which makes an ISO.
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/downloads/list
Instructions ;
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper...e/trunk/readme
Then you extract the dff files from the ISO with scarletbook.exe.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1370915/Audio/scarletbook.rar
Then you can convert Dsd to PCM (2.0 and 5.1) with several programs like Weiss Saracon, KORG AudioGate, Philips ProTECH Audio Format Converter, Pyramix Virtual Studio, maybe DiscWelder and maybe Foobar with foo_input_sacd.dll ;
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/
More informations there ;
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/show...action-backups
I wonder whether there is a guide for gapless discs (live, electronic music etc.), sort of BIN+CUE....
Old 14th January 2015, 19:23   #93  |  Link
Wilbert

I moved all the posts about gapless playback to this thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171666.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2022, 09:37   #94  |  Link
jz1276

Hey guys.
Looking to convert a ripped ISO from a SACD to multichannel flac files.
Is this possible on a Windows PC?
Any help is appreciated, thanks!
jz1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2022, 10:35   #95  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz1276 View Post
Hey guys.
Looking to convert a ripped ISO from a SACD to multichannel flac files.
Is this possible on a Windows PC?
Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Things have moved on quite a lot since this topic was started, way back in 2011...

In order to unpack the .iso image file to either dsd.dsf or dsd.dff audio streams, you can use 'Sonore ISO2DSD GUI'.

Once you have the dsd.dsf or dsd.dff audio streams (which can be played using MPC-BE by-the-way), you can then use FFmpeg to encode them to FLAC. I have converted all mine to FLAC at 88.2Khz @ 24-bits (for use with my OPPO SoC hardware media player), using the following command line: -

ffmpeg -i input.dff -ar 88200 output.flac

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 21st February 2022 at 10:37.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2022, 19:28   #96  |  Link
jz1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Things have moved on quite a lot since this topic was started, way back in 2011...

In order to unpack the .iso image file to either dsd.dsf or dsd.dff audio streams, you can use 'Sonore ISO2DSD GUI'.

Once you have the dsd.dsf or dsd.dff audio streams (which can be played using MPC-BE by-the-way), you can then use FFmpeg to encode them to FLAC. I have converted all mine to FLAC at 88.2Khz @ 24-bits (for use with my OPPO SoC hardware media player), using the following command line: -

ffmpeg -i input.dff -ar 88200 output.flac
Great. I'll give that a shot, thanks!
jz1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 03:45   #97  |  Link
NanoBot

Another way would be to use Foobar2000 and the foo_input_sacd component, available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/
NanoBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 23:48   #98  |  Link
chainring

Yet another way is extracting from the ISO using XRecode3 and encoding to WavPack, which is completely lossless if that's your goal.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2023, 09:21   #99  |  Link
binaryflow

Sorry for being the weirdo necroposter...

What about this in 2023?

What about Open Source tools? What about doing this under Linux?

Thanks in advance!
binaryflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2023, 10:06   #100  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryflow View Post
Sorry for being the weirdo necroposter...

What about this in 2023?

What about Open Source tools? What about doing this under Linux?

Thanks in advance!
What exactly do you want to do?