Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th April 2024, 17:35   #2221  |  Link
v0lt

@flossy_cake
I'll try one last time.
1. Select Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter) for video output.
2. Add Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (Win7) or MPC DVD Video Decoder (Win7-10) to the external filters and set it to “prefer”.
3. Turn on the setting “Allow closed captions in "Line 21 Decoder"”.
4. Open and watch DVD-Video as a disc or VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2024, 20:53   #2222  |  Link
Sunspark

I was curious to try and since I have a DVD drive handy and some DVDs lying around still that only have CC and not vobsubs I took a look. There are issues.

VLC opens the disc menu fine, and plays the disc.. closed captions are selectable and have the black background behind the text, etc.

With MPC, even with the instructions posted here add these filters, disable that decoding in internal, etc. it doesn't work. The disc attempts to open but it shows garbled coloured macroblock squares, etc.. when it starts playing there's a lot of garble. Can barely see anything. Something is not working well.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2024, 22:22   #2223  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Many thanks, v0lt ! This screenshot helped.
To get that remote graph loading under Win10 one might need to download proppage.dll from
https://www.dllme.com/dll/files/proppage into System32 and register that
Code:
regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\proppage.dll
Still it seems as if i missed something,
Win10P64 22H2 here, MPC-BE noinstall, run from unzipped, DVD folder play.
MPC-BE shows CC nicely, on top of the selected normal subs.

Now the same with MPC-HC 2.2.1 noinstall, run from unzipped, DVD folder play.
Add Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (Win7) to the external filters and set it to “prefer”.
-Does nothing for MPC-HC in terms of CC. No CC overlay, graph connects to LAV video decoder first, and this decodes no CC
(Add MPC DVD Video Decoder (Win7-10) to the external filters and set it to “prefer”.
-Not listed, so not selectable.)
I have MpcVideoRenderer-0.7.3.2210 registered systemwide.
Where is MPC DVD Video Decoder expected to reside?

Last edited by Emulgator; 25th April 2024 at 23:27.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2024, 04:35   #2224  |  Link
v0lt

@Emulgator
Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder does not support DVD-Video on Windows 10. It is better not to use this decoder at all on new Windows.

Quote:
Where is MPC DVD Video Decoder expected to reside?
https://github.com/Aleksoid1978/MPC-BE/releases
> standalone_filters-mpc-be.1.7.0.x64.7z > MpcDvdVideoDecoder.ax
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2024, 07:05   #2225  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Instead of using Avisynth as a source filter, maybe you get better results with Avisynth Filter as a processing filter. Add it as preferred external filter to load it. There is also a VapourSynth filter.
Yep I tried that a while ago, it's great, but ultimately not quite good enough for my usage for some technical reasons like the frame counter doesn't work properly and other stuff that comes out different due to the upstream flags being passed for things like aspect ratio etc. which gives different aspect and colours compared to what you'd get in standalone Avisynth. I might end up using it though anyway simply for applying Normalize(0.98) globally. Haven't tested out compatibility with advanced scripting stuff like ScriptClips and multithreading which to be frank are already a bit dodgy in standalone Avisynth so I'm not confident they'd work reliably in CrendKing's wrapper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
@flossy_cake
I'll try one last time.
1. Select Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter) for video output.
2. Add Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (Win7) or MPC DVD Video Decoder (Win7-10) to the external filters and set it to “prefer”.
3. Turn on the setting “Allow closed captions in "Line 21 Decoder"”.
4. Open and watch DVD-Video as a disc or VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
Yep tried that, must be cause I'm still living in the stone age using Windows 7

Anyway it doesn't really matter as I usually remux my DVDs to mkvs (which converts the CC subs to .srt) and that works perfectly.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 26th April 2024 at 07:10.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2024, 08:59   #2226  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Quote:
> standalone_filters-mpc-be.1.7.0.x64.7z > MpcDvdVideoDecoder.ax
There was it. And regsvr32 that .ax, and pop: there it is. CC in MPC-HC.
Beautiful, many thanks v0lt !
Old 17th May 2024, 21:14   #2227  |  Link
rco133

Hi.

I am not sure if this is even a MPC-HC issue, but here it goes.

I have a MKV file with TrueHD/AC3 audio.

The issue seems to be that the TrueHD audio is 96 kHz sample rate, and the AC3 track is 48 kHz sample rate. It is like that on the disc.

When I change the audio from TrueHD to AC3, the audio starts to play at double the speed.

I have done the same in VLC, MPV and SMPlayer, and they all handle the switch from TrueHD to AC3 just fine. No difference in speed, when switching forth and back between the two audio tracks.

Any idea why this happens in MPC-HC?

Thanks in advance.

rco133
rco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2024, 02:32   #2228  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rco133 View Post
Hi.

I am not sure if this is even a MPC-HC issue, but here it goes.

I have a MKV file with TrueHD/AC3 audio.

The issue seems to be that the TrueHD audio is 96 kHz sample rate, and the AC3 track is 48 kHz sample rate. It is like that on the disc.

When I change the audio from TrueHD to AC3, the audio starts to play at double the speed.

I have done the same in VLC, MPV and SMPlayer, and they all handle the switch from TrueHD to AC3 just fine. No difference in speed, when switching forth and back between the two audio tracks.

Any idea why this happens in MPC-HC?

Thanks in advance.

rco133
Well it's obviously something to do with 48x2=96.

I'm assuming you're using LAV for the audio decoding so it may not be an issue with MPC-HC - try toggling various settings in LAV Audio Decoder.

You could also try cleaning/repairing the mkv file with mkvtoolnix or ffmpeg - maybe it's lacking some timestamps or something which different decoders handle differently.

It's hard to know what's going on without seeing the file.

-----------------------------------------------

I have an audio issue/question of my own: if I enable "audio switcher" and "time shift" in MPC-HC settings, can it potentially degrade audio quality? Occasionally I need to use it for realtime adjustment of audio delay for some DVDs. For example does the audio switcher perform any audio format conversions internally? Has anyone performed a test recording to see if it's bitperfect? I don't use the WASAPI exclusive mode.

Also is there any way to map a hotkey to "reset audio delay"? When I'm in fullscreen I can't see any on screen display of what the current audio delay is because I'm using MadVR fullscreen exclusive mode. So if I lose track of how many times I tapped my audio delay +/- hotkeys I have to exit. If I had a "reset audio delay" hotkey I could reset it to 0ms and then start counting my +/- taps again to dial it in.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 18th May 2024 at 02:43.
Old 18th May 2024, 03:50   #2229  |  Link
huhn

without 100% volume and wasapi you will not get bit perfect audio.
or bitstreaming of cause.

@rco133
try a different audio renderer.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2024, 04:36   #2230  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
without 100% volume and wasapi you will not get bit perfect audio.
Sorry I should have clarified by bitperfect I meant to say will it be a bitperfect copy vs not using audio switcher, not vs the source audio.

i.e does merely enabling audio switcher into the audio processing pipeline "colour" the audio in some way?
Old 18th May 2024, 13:00   #2231  |  Link
clsid

@rco133
That is bug in your sound driver.
Switch to SaneAR audio renderer in MPC-HC options.

@flossy_cake
The answer is that you won't be able to hear any difference.
The term "bitperfect" is for morons who enjoy 112% more placebo effect of elven-infused gold plated wifi extension cables.
Old 18th May 2024, 14:12   #2232  |  Link
rco133

@clsid

Enabling SaneAR didn't change anything. But, the problem could very well be related to some weird thing with my codecs.

When I load the file into Grahpedit, and use LAV filters 0.72 (which is what my system has), both audios play at the correct speed.

Not really sure what triggers the issue here with MPC-HC.

My system is an old install, and a lot of fideling arounf with audio codecs have been done over the years. So, my very well be something on my system :-)

Thanks for the reply though.

rco133
rco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2024, 08:50   #2233  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
Sorry I should have clarified by bitperfect I meant to say will it be a bitperfect copy vs not using audio switcher, not vs the source audio.
i.e does merely enabling audio switcher into the audio processing pipeline "colour" the audio in some way?
Bit Perfect Yes or No
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...s-or-no.30047/
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
@flossy_cake
The answer is that you won't be able to hear any difference.
The term "bitperfect" is for morons who enjoy 112% more placebo effect of elven-infused gold plated wifi extension cables.
Any Moderators around? Forum rules 4) Language please...

Edit |
flossy_cake
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,125942.0.html

Last edited by varekai; 21st May 2024 at 09:08. Reason: more info to flossy_cake about people wanting to use Bitperfect audio
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2024, 10:27   #2234  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Nobody was addressed personally here...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote