Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 5th February 2008, 00:50   #181  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Hi Bradskey and welcome to the Doom9 forum!

Thanks for the info, i dont have the laptop anymore, i was testing it out as i want to buy a dual core pc/laptop and wanted to see how much time a typical conversion would take.

On my pc i normally get 25fps but on that laptop i got 90fps, wow, that was fast using divx.

Once again thanks for the tip
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 03:26   #182  |  Link
The Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyko View Post
BUG (or missing ability)
...Decomb/Deinterlacing isn't properly converting 29.97 hybrid interlaced/progressive video to 23.976.

REQUEST 1:
...a Play button (which toggles) to stop/start the video clip playing.
I would need further information..... can you explain more, sample of source maybe so I can see the problem you encounter?

There is a 'PLAY' button, well sort of, right-click the movie whilst playing/previewing, you will see PLAY/PAUSE.
The Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 06:54   #183  |  Link
avdw
Banned

This program is so seriously abandoned, there really is no more need to ask for fixes or requests, it's dead, yes : DEAD !
avdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 08:47   #184  |  Link
jeffy

@avdw: If you don't like it, then don't use it.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 11:11   #185  |  Link
The Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdw View Post
This program is so seriously abandoned, there really is no more need to ask for fixes or requests, it's dead, yes : DEAD !
You've said this before, why do you keep saying that? It is NOT abandoned, grow up.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:59   #186  |  Link
weaver4

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdw View Post
Hey buddy; did you even look at the latest release date??? It was less than a month ago.
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 01:43   #187  |  Link
gt13013

Sorry to have not replied before. I thought that I had subscribed to this thread, but the subscription failed.

This post is just to say that version 2.5.7.0 of avi.NET solves my installation problem on Vista (see my post from Jan. 10th).

Thanks !
gt13013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 08:11   #188  |  Link
Fraschetti

First off, let me say "thank you so much!" for all of your hard work on avi.NET and pgc.NET .. I use them so much that I have shortcuts to them on my quick launch menu.

My only thoughts:
1. A fair number of the DVDs I rip/encode end up having a serious audio sync issue (I think one movie was 2.5 seconds off). While it's certainly not something I'd stop using avi.NET over, it certainly makes things a pain (by pain I mean using yet another app to sync things up). Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned the root cause of this sync issue. Is there anything I can do on my end to help prevent this sync issue?

2. I'm running Vista 32-bit and while I don't remember the exact behavior (it's been a while), so I know I have to run avi.NET as the administator (Compatability Mode --> Run as Administrator) otherwise UAC screws things up a bit. This one I don't even really care about all that much (this is just one of many apps I have to grant admin permissions to).. but it is something I thought was worth mentioning (forgive me if it's already been mentioned in this thread).
Fraschetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:13   #189  |  Link
weaver4

Fraschetti: Many times Audio Sync problems are caused by the way the content is ripped. Can you give us some details on what tools you are using? If you are using pgc.Net you might want to try DVDFab Decrypter and see if that helps.
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:39   #190  |  Link
The Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraschetti View Post
Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned the root cause of this sync issue. Is there anything I can do on my end to help prevent this sync issue?
Yes, 'weaver4' has a good suggestion. pgc.NET cannot really deal 'directly' with modern dvd's, always use DVDFab first to make sure everything is ripped correctly to the hard drive. You can always use pgc.NET to extract required PGC once DVDFab has done it's thing.

Quote:
....otherwise UAC screws things up a bit.
Didn't know about this, don't use UAC, it's the first thing I get rid of, I find it bizarre. I noticed in the new Visual Studio 2008 there are now some UAC options so hopefully a new build of avi.NET will help.
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:53   #191  |  Link
Bradskey

Quote:
1. A fair number of the DVDs I rip/encode end up having a serious audio sync issue (I think one movie was 2.5 seconds off). While it's certainly not something I'd stop using avi.NET over, it certainly makes things a pain (by pain I mean using yet another app to sync things up). Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned the root cause of this sync issue. Is there anything I can do on my end to help prevent this sync issue?

Hi. Even using DVDFab (which you should be) you will occasionally have ripped disks that still present audio sync problems when encoded. My limited understanding is that this is caused by errors in the MPEG stream, which MPEG format is able to compensate for, but AVI cannot. I generally encountered these particular types of problem disks from one notoriously paranoid big studio in particular, but occasionally from others. I think maybe they are introducing deliberate errors into the MPEG streams as part of some kind of content protection, and the errors remain after DVDFab rips the disk.

My solution (and it has worked very well) is to use the commercial VideoRedo application. It has a tool called QuickStream Fix, which corrects missing sync frames in the MPEG stream and outputs a file that will encode with audio in sync. If I have a problem disk or if I suspect it will give me problems, I extract all the program chains with pgc.NET and run them through this process to fix them, then encode the output mpg files. Haven't found anything I couldn't fix this way yet. I don't know if there is a similar tool available elsewhere or for free, but VideoRedo works like a champ and has other uses too.
Bradskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:17   #192  |  Link
The Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradskey View Post
I extract all the program chains with pgc.NET
About a year ago I made a new pgc.NET where you are able to select multiple PGC's at a time and add them to a batch, like avi.NET, and even have the option to index the file after ripping....... I never finished it, you think it's worth me having another look at it and finishing it? or maybe release a beta or something?
Old 23rd February 2008, 01:34   #193  |  Link
Bradskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
About a year ago I made a new pgc.NET where you are able to select multiple PGC's at a time and add them to a batch, like avi.NET, and even have the option to index the file after ripping....... I never finished it, you think it's worth me having another look at it and finishing it? or maybe release a beta or something?
Absolutely! I've wanted that for quite some time. I've even considered writing it myself just to have that feature, but I just don't have time right now. But with episodic discs it can take forever to extract everything because you have to attend the machine and wait for one program chain to finish so you can start the next.
Bradskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 15:03   #194  |  Link
weaver4

Once you select the correct chain (Title) you now can use a MPlayer statement like this to Rip the chain to a *.vob or *.mpg file. This even works on "modern" dvds.

mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile dvd.mpg

This is the command for Linux, not sure what it should use for dvd://1 in Windows but the "1" is for the Title.

This effectively plays the DVD to the hard drive, so if mplayer can play the movie it can be ripped.

This might help you with the next version of pgc.Net.

BTW: It must be MPlayer version MPlayer 2:1.0~rc1 or later.
Old 24th February 2008, 19:55   #195  |  Link
miklg21

When I have the Xvid codec selected the movie ends up coming out as a Divx. Is there a way I can make sure it comes out as a Xvid?

thanks
miklg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 20:22   #196  |  Link
The Scientist

It *IS* an XVID - this has been done to death!
Old 24th February 2008, 20:33   #197  |  Link
miklg21

Thanks !!
miklg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 13:00   #198  |  Link
jgawera

Yay to batch processing.
And this reminds me of some batch suggestions I made some months back which i'll quote here just as a reminder

Thanks for avi.NET it's brilliant.

As for audio sync issues. It doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does, I just use Media Player Classic to figure out the required delay, then virtualdubmod to fix it.

Also a vague bug report.
These are from memory, and next time they happen i'll try and record more details. First one is pgc.NET sometimes won't rip an entire pgc. As it is ripping I see the xxxxx of yyyyy bytes ripped progress meter. Sometimes it just stops and goes back to the stream selection window before reaching the end. If you're not watching, then you have no idea it didn't rip the entire thing until you've encoded your video (unless you try and play the vob). The only way i've found to fix this is to use nero recode to recode the dvd, then do the rip and that usually works. pgc.NET shoud be able to tell if it didn't reach the end for whatever reason and pop up a dialog warning the user.

Thanks again
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgawera View Post
Excellent, can't wait for the batch processing. I've been waiting for this before I attempt to encode my TV episode DVDs

I'd also like to remind you of a couple of ideas I had which would speed up the process for people that are encoding a lot. My ideas basically don't require the user to keep coming back to the PC after each stage.

pgc.net should allow a batch facility to rip multiple pgcs from multiple DVDs (or DVD folders on the hard drive). For example, I copy all 6 DVDs of the Sopranos series 1 to my hard drive, I then want to add all 13 episodes to the pgc.net list and hit go. Leave it for a while and let it do it's thing.

Index.net should have the option to also index subtitles. That way I can add all 13 episodes of sopranos to index.net, leave it to do it's thing and then the process of adding to avi.net is much quicker. I don't have to wait 13x3 mins for each episode to index the subs.

And then the obvious next step to these is to combine pgc.net and index.net so that I select the 13 pgcs from the 6 dvds on my hard drive. For each pgc, it rips, indexes, and indexes subs. So now I create my list, hit go, and when I come back, everything is ready for a quick avi.net session and then hit go again.

Thanks for the great app, keep it up.

J
jgawera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 13:35   #199  |  Link
ricardo.santos

i must be lucky, cant remember the last time i had problems with avi/index/pgc.net...for episodic dvds i use dvdfab decrypter to rip each episode to its own folder, even without using pgc.net never had any problems.

i have a request, since the hddvd-bluray "war is over" have you thought of upgrading avi.net to convert to bluray standalone players very much linke divx standalone players now?
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 17:12   #200  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
4. Updated DGIndex.
Are you distributing DGIndex? If so, you need to follow GPL. Please advise where one gets the DGIndex source code via your distribution.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote