Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st January 2017, 05:43   #11  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboxer511 View Post
Great post. This was really helpful as was your guide you posted on wiki.jriver.com which led me to this forum. There were a couple questions/corrections/guide mistakes I wanted to communicate with you:
I am glad it helped.. but I don't remember posting anything on that wiki. I am glad whoever did thought it was valuable too.

Quote:
Smooth Motion -

I believe you might have made a mistake/typo in your description about smooth motion in this line:

I think you meant 29 fps at 60 Hz (or something to that effect).
I didn't make a typo actually, the use of the same source frame rate for both examples was very deliberate. You don't want to use smooth motion when the source frame rate almost equals the display's refresh rate but it is great when the display's refresh rate is much higher.

edit: That smooth motion works better for 24p into 60p than 23.976p into 24p is somewhat counter intuitive, and was the point of that example. I will change the rates to these simpler ones make this point better, even if 24p video is quite rare.
edit2: Hmm, I don't like using different source frame rates in that example for some reason, hopefully just using 24 Hz will help.

Quote:
A suggestion I had (because this really helped me when I read this in you guide) is related to:

enable automatic full screen exclusive mode -

In your guide you suggest turning this off which is actually very helpful as it allowed me to use the full media bar in full screen when hover over it with a mouse. It also removes any delay between switching between full and windowed. Perhaps you might want to mention that to some effect in your guide under the description of that mode.
I do suggest turning off exclusive mode, and I don't use it myself. I updated the description to stress the downsides a bit more. These posts aren't meant to be a guide but I do want people to understand the consequences of each option.

Quote:
Finally I had a question and was hoping you could explain what exactly "activate 200% super sampling" in image upscaling does? I have a decent rig (Nvidea GTX 960 GPU, i5 6600k OC @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB of RAM OC @ 3000MHz on a MSI Z170 M5 Motherboard) and yet saw a severe drop in performance when enabling that feature with no quality improvement. It was actually one of the rare times any setting change effected my video playback performance.
"activate 200% super sampling" doubles the image all the time, even if it doesn't need upscaling at all. Normally doubling will only trigger if it needs upscaling 1.2x or more.

For 1080p video even on a 1080p display this means that the video will be upscaled to 4K with the doubling algorithm, any image enhancements applied, and then downscaled to 1080. My Titan XP can barely do that with NGU very high.

Personally I don't find 200% supersampling very useful, it certainly isn't useful all the time. The only situation I would think might be useful was blurry but high res video you wanted to sharpen a lot. I tend to prefer sharpening done at higher resolutions and then downscaling but not everyone agrees with that.

edit: Thanks! I missed a description for 200% super sampling.

Last edited by Asmodian; 31st January 2017 at 06:28.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote