Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th April 2008, 09:16   #2001  |  Link
davidbb

I have a possible solution to the problem of fitting dvd5 mkv's onto a single layer disc. I have found that by demuxing the streams and reencoding the AC3 track to 192kbps, then remuxing again before running through mkv2vob almost always produces a file that will fit on a single layer dvd when burnt. Sound quality does not suffer too much, and unless you are an audiphile you probably won't notice.

As Mkv2vob uses besweet to encode DTS to AC3 it would probably be fairly simple to do this ac3 to ac3 within the program and have a checkbox in the options to choose whether to re-encode audio or not.

Hopefully we can have this feature built in, simply because DVD5 burning is so much more reliable than DVD9
davidbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 11:08   #2002  |  Link
naj

Even better than that would be a possibility to set output bitrate or file size, that way you could control every aspect of the encoding...
naj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 12:02   #2003  |  Link
serum1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum1911 View Post
heya there,

i tried to install mkv2vob but the installer always fails with:

i tried install on a vista ultimate x86 system and on a vista enterprise x64 system - both fail with same error.

i tried running as admin - tried compatibility mode - i tried to just exract the content from the exe and run the mkv2vob.exe but then it says "error getting mkv info"

pls help - i really need this cool prog up n running thx in advance

i have one more question - since the new version doesnt work for me i am still running an older one which uses h264info for level changing to 4.1. this takes an awful amount of time. i didnt get why the prog did not just change one byte - my own tool did the level change in like 20ms. or does h264info do a compliance check?

and last: excuse my bad english - not a native speaker here.

serum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lez View Post
i have the same problem,been looking for answers but nothing yet
Is there any chance the installer will be fixed?!
serum1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 13:29   #2004  |  Link
zAndy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Wabbet View Post
Hello
I'm trying to transcode a movie (Alien vs Predator II) and I recieve the following massage - "Insufficient Disk Space on Drive D, You have 106.75GB you need 32540.38GB".
I need 32540.38GB? I think it's a bug, no?
Are you definitely on the latest version as that bug was fixed a few versions ago now!
zAndy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 13:46   #2005  |  Link
Bunny_Wabbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy1 View Post
Are you definitely on the latest version as that bug was fixed a few versions ago now!
thanks for the fast answer
I'm using version 2.2.2. I believe it's the latest
Bunny_Wabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 19:01   #2006  |  Link
e3henri

I have a problem that the created file is corrupt, but it is playable in PS3 anyway.
PS3 says "corrupt data", but plays it anyway
Windows MEdiaplayer can not play it.
I'mt trying to create a x264 output file.
Without sub there is no transcoding and with there is. I have tried both divX and x264 and the output is the same corrupt file
e3henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 19:11   #2007  |  Link
e3henri

I have noticed that SRT files are really inserted into the picture and the file has to be transcoded (which takes about 1,5h for a 30 min file on my Core2Duo 2,66Ghz).
I think PS3 can use embedded subtitles instead, an transcoding is not neccessary.
My plan was to use mkv2vob to create a xvid file without subtitles (no transcoding) and when run aviaddxsubs to embedd a SRT subtiles file. But aviaddxsubs says that the file is not a valid AVI (probably related to the problem I posted a few minutes ago).
Is the approach I suggest possible? And could it be automaticly created by mkv2vob in an upcoming release?
I hope it is possible to avoid 5h transcoding sessions for a single movie.

THank for a great program, I have previously tried an early version but the audio and pictures was totally out of sync, but with the current version everything works just fine.
e3henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 20:08   #2008  |  Link
Bajunid

Hi,
thanks for the prog. An almost perfect prog I must say.

Just one question. I tried the trascoding option (due to subs) but I'd really like to increase the qulity of transcoding. how can it be done?
Bajunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 23:41   #2009  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum1911 View Post
Is there any chance the installer will be fixed?!
this is something wrong with your computer not the installer.
specifically some warez versions of windows xp are missing some files, this is because you downloaded a bad release. you need full cd and reinstall.
3r1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 23:42   #2010  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3henri View Post
I have a problem that the created file is corrupt, but it is playable in PS3 anyway.
PS3 says "corrupt data", but plays it anyway
Windows MEdiaplayer can not play it.
I'mt trying to create a x264 output file.
Without sub there is no transcoding and with there is. I have tried both divX and x264 and the output is the same corrupt file
if it plays on ps3 then what is the problem?
Old 27th April 2008, 23:43   #2011  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Wabbet View Post
Hello
I'm trying to transcode a movie (Alien vs Predator II) and I recieve the following massage - "Insufficient Disk Space on Drive D, You have 106.75GB you need 32540.38GB".
I need 32540.38GB? I think it's a bug, no?
what setting have you got in regional settings in windows control panel?
Old 28th April 2008, 16:53   #2012  |  Link
eitach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r1c View Post
what setting have you got in regional settings in windows control panel?
Yeha change it to English (US), it's worked for me!
for converting movie 4.5 GB you will need 15-20 freespace. for movie 8 GB you will need 32-35 freespace

Last edited by eitach; 28th April 2008 at 16:57.
eitach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 02:35   #2013  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitach View Post
Yeha change it to English (US), it's worked for me!
for converting movie 4.5 GB you will need 15-20 freespace. for movie 8 GB you will need 32-35 freespace
What was it at before?
Old 29th April 2008, 03:34   #2014  |  Link
gordho

hey 3r1c, any thoughts on making mkv2vob work on more then just mkv? mkv2vob and tversity are generally all i need for all my ps3 video needs but every now and then i will get a wmv or other vid that just needs some slight tweaking to play properly but since the slight tweaking happens in several different programs it can be a pain.
gordho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 14:07   #2015  |  Link
Bunny_Wabbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r1c View Post
What was it at before?
Hello
when I changed it to be English U.S it worked. so you are right, the problem is in the "Regional settings".
I'm using the Hebrew settings

I have no problem changing it when ever I need to convert a large movie, but if it's not a problem for you to fix it, I would be most grateful

Thanks for a great software
Bunny_Wabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 03:01   #2016  |  Link
rsaini

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidders View Post
Unfortunately, yes - I get a similar problem on Vista (Ultimate) since v2.2.2. In my case I get a VirtualDub Error box saying: "Cannot detect file type of "xxxxxxxx.xxx".

Because all recent versions force an upgrade to the latest (or can I just rename loader.exe?) I have fallen back to v1.05 for the time being.

Still, I'm not complaining. This is still a fantastic tool for PS3 owners.
I'm getting the same issue...never had a problem until this week...anyone else?

I've tried what was mentioned earlier in this thread regarding file name, renamed the file 'text.mkv' and placed in root of c:\ and still get 'Muxing Failed!' Tried seperating video/audio and re-joining with mkvmerge but no help
rsaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 12:06   #2017  |  Link
Swieep

Muxing Failed!

Hi,

I read about this error, and did not have any problems, now a few days later the problem is here.

I do not have any special chars in filename or directory names. Also when I used the batch/directory method only 2 of the files got this error so a directory problem it was not.

Just to be sure I renamed the file to s707.mkv and moved it to c:\ and used file remux and directory remux and both failed.

Other info, I downloaded the latest tsmuxer and started tsMuxerGUI and when I openend one of the files an error popped up:

"Some tracks not recognized. This tracks was ignored."

The other file did not give this error.

The other file does have a @ in the track info..

Last edited by Swieep; 30th April 2008 at 19:30.
Swieep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 22:12   #2018  |  Link
maka1986

Hey thanks for putting up such a great program.

I have a minor problem with the subtitles.
I put a ts file and a srt sub file in the same folder and after the hardsubing is done the subs are off with the picture shown.
I noticed a pattern in it.
When opening the srt file with notepad each line is numbered starting from 1.
but the first line of subs that is shown in my encoded file is the line numbered 101.
How should I edit the srt file so that the subs will match?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT:

Well I looked into it and it `s more that it shows subs that are supposed to be played around the 10th minute at the beginning of the encode.It`s strange.

Last edited by maka1986; 30th April 2008 at 22:29.
maka1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 02:08   #2019  |  Link
3r1c

Just an update.

tsmuxer does not work with any mkv created with the latest version of mkvmerge.

so any mkv made with mkvmerge v2 converted with mkv2vob will show "muxing failed" error.

i posted this bug in the tsmuxer thread a while ago and nothing seems to be happening. i will make a work around of extracting the streams seperately like the old version did.
Old 1st May 2008, 02:37   #2020  |  Link
jdryyz

Let me start by saying what everyone else says first -- GREAT PROGRAM!

I use this with mkv files created by Handbrake 0.9.2. It does a wonderful job. However, since Handbrake works best on the Mac, I am forced to switch to my PC to run mkv2vob. It creates a lot a tedium as you may imagine. I tried looking for solutions to create my mkv files on the Windows side. DVD Fab Platinum does a similar job as Handbrake does and the results are pretty much the same except for one-- mkv2vob doesn't like the mkv files create by DVD Fab Platinum (it says invalid mkv file)

Is there any chance this could be fixed?
jdryyz is offline   Reply With Quote