Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 31st July 2020, 12:07   #1  |  Link
YaBoyShredderson

Staxrip HDR ingest producing (almost) duplicate files

Im trying to encode 4k hdr blurays in staxrip, and im doing some tests on small chunks, but it seems to be producing duplicate files.

The files are called "name"_new.mkv and "name"_new.mkv_hdr10.mkv. they are the exact same size, but media info shows a difference in the mastering display data the max cll and max fall data.

It has changed those values, and added another line beneath saying original. For example max cll =1000 max cll orginal = 913 or whatever. The files that have changed is the one with hdr10.mkv at the end.

As far as i can tell, clips with different values in each of the things, all have the same value in the hdr 10 file, always max cll 1000 and max fall 300, with the orginal line being the correct values.

What file do i need and is there any difference? Im pretty sure this is because i checked the hdr ingest option, as i thought i needed it to retain hdr, but the regular files seemed to have everything correct.

Looking at the files in vlc, i cannot tell any imediate difference, though my monitor is not hdr and i havent viewed them on my hdr tv yet.
YaBoyShredderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 13:28   #2  |  Link
Atlantis

What do you want to do and why you are using HDR ingest?
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:12   #3  |  Link
stax76

I'm not well-informed about HDR, this feature was developed by Revan. I don't understand why it requires a two pass process and two output files.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 22:14   #4  |  Link
Atlantis

Are we talking about Apps->Media Info->Ingest HDR?

It just adds an HDR tag. Nothing special. Without the tag, your TV can still recognize the video as HDR.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 07:06   #5  |  Link
YaBoyShredderson

I checked the hdr ingest option in the menu, i cant remember what menu it was, i think in the options menu under the video tab. I did it because i thought i needed it to retain HDR, rather than converting it to SDR. I guess ill turn it off as it alpears i dont need it.
YaBoyShredderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 12:01   #6  |  Link
K.i.N.G

Its pretty annoying it needs to create the output twice
K.i.N.G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10bit, bug, hdr, hdr10, staxrip