Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 19th September 2017, 23:52   #22181  |  Link
el Filou

The purpose of mixing is to "fold" all the audio channels into the ones to be output, so they won't be lost.

The channel levels settings do what is explained in the LAV GUI: they control the level of individual channels when downmixing. For example if you downmix to stereo and set one of the settings to 0, you won't hear that/those channel(s).

I suggest to test with this file: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ftt56e
Old 20th September 2017, 17:57   #22182  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytrinitron View Post
Hi, so I am trying to use the LAV Audio mixer to mix down 6.1/7.1 audio to 5.1, preferably without losing audio information and just dropping channels. What do I need to set the center mix, surround mix, and LFE mix levels sliders to, and what exactly do these settings do? Can I ensure that all of the information in the 6.1/7.1 is folded down into the 5.1?
Also this may be a long shot here but for the ffdshow audio mixer, if I take 5.1 audio and mix down to 2.0, are all the channels in the 5.1 mix carried over to the 2.0 mix, including the LFE channel?
0.71 for all channels and LFE should be correct if doing 5.1. It's only Stereo where you (probably) don't want LFE.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 18:07   #22183  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
0.71 for all channels and LFE should be correct if doing 5.1. It's only Stereo where you (probably) don't want LFE.
Yep, although I normally use 1.0 for centre just because so many films seem to be mixed with low and/or muffled voice tracks these days.
Old 23rd September 2017, 16:21   #22184  |  Link
Sunspark

I have a 2.1 analog system, 2 satellites plugged into and receiving their feed from the subwoofer.

Because of this, I left center and surround at the default of 0.71 but changed LFE to 1.58.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 16:29   #22185  |  Link
strumf666

Input for a 2.1 system is usually stereo output, which would make changes to LFE level useless; unless I am missing something.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 16:36   #22186  |  Link
e-t172

strumf666: I believe you are confused. Sunspark is discussing downmix coefficients for a stereo output.

Sunspark: yes, this is correct. 1.58 is +4 dB, which is mixed into both channels, thus becoming +10 dB total after the sub downmixes it down to mono, pursuant to ITU-R BS.775. It checks out. (If you are using a cheap "PC" 2.1 system you might want to lower it though, as such levels are likely to overload your subwoofer. You need a system with high SPL output to be able to take full advantage of LFE.)
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 05:12   #22187  |  Link
Sunspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
strumf666: I believe you are confused. Sunspark is discussing downmix coefficients for a stereo output.

Sunspark: yes, this is correct. 1.58 is +4 dB, which is mixed into both channels, thus becoming +10 dB total after the sub downmixes it down to mono, pursuant to ITU-R BS.775. It checks out. (If you are using a cheap "PC" 2.1 system you might want to lower it though, as such levels are likely to overload your subwoofer. You need a system with high SPL output to be able to take full advantage of LFE.)
This is the only PC speaker system I have ever bought, ACS-48.. 80 watts total.. they're old now but I think they still have lots of life left. https://www.cnet.com/products/altec-...-series/specs/

I set Windows volume to 65% and use the volume control on the speakers the rest of the way. Bass dial on the back is set to about 1/3 of turnable range I think.

You make a good point about other systems maybe having trouble.

Last edited by Sunspark; 24th September 2017 at 05:28.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 19:17   #22188  |  Link
el Filou

An alternative if you know the real specifications of your speakers is to use Windows' native Bass management (in "enhancements" tab in Sound control panel) to filter the low frequencies your subwoofer or full range speakers can't manage, that way you can include the LFE channel without worrying about it causing problems.
Old 29th September 2017, 01:47   #22189  |  Link
jmone

FYI - Latest Nightly includes a later version of libbluray which now supports (decrypted) UHD BD structures.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2017, 22:47   #22190  |  Link
De-M-oN

Can it be used together with ffdshow? Or does it collide with it? Because I still have ffdshow installed since the past.

Can it be used as DirectShowSource for mkv files in avisynth?

While TMPGEnc 6 reads the mkv with frameaccurate audiosync, the reader of avisynth (ffms2, l-smash) all have 5 to 13 frames here and there difference in audiosync. I could reduce it to 5 frames by adding the fps of the video to the reader. But still: TMPGEnc reads them frameaccurate.
I think TMPGEnc's Intel Media SDK Decoder reads the timecodes of the MKV, while avisynth indexes the file which gives slightly wrong results?

Can I circumvate this with these filters maybe?
De-M-oN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 00:30   #22191  |  Link
huhn

directshowsource is not know no be frame accurate but you could use this filter for it and you can use lavfilter to decode and ffdshow for processing this may not work under every situation.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 02:41   #22192  |  Link
huhn

i have a file that doesn't play correctly with avcodec using lavfilter but it is fine when i use "use microsoft WMV9..." or DXVA2 so should i bring it directly to ffmpeg or is this here the right place for a wrongly decoded file?
Old 30th September 2017, 04:01   #22193  |  Link
ryrynz

I'd post it here as many have done beforehand, sometimes Nev pulls some code from FFmpeg or submits his own patches, so here is a good place.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 07:18   #22194  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The FFmpeg software VC-1/WMV3 decoder not being perfect is known. Why would you want to use it anyway? Thats what the Microsoft MFT is for.
As long as it works fine using DXVA2 (which uses parts of the FFmpeg decoder), its not something I'm really interested in.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th September 2017 at 07:23.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 11:38   #22195  |  Link
huhn

well not every windows 10 version has a decoder and it is not a strange encode or something it is directly remuxed from a BD.
Old 1st October 2017, 14:03   #22196  |  Link
P.J
Δ

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J View Post
I reported this issue to MPC-BE decoder and they fixed it.
Hope Lav fixes it too =/
Still waiting for a fix
P.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 17:07   #22197  |  Link
aufkrawall

I notice some weird behavior with D3D11VA copyback: It roughly has twice as high CPU usage as DXVA2 copyback.
With EVR in MPC HC, this is just ~2% vs. ~4% CPU usage, but with madVR, it's ~6% vs ~12% (4k 50fps HEVC 10 bit video).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 18:32   #22198  |  Link
Drakko01

D3d11 option improve svp smoothness

Hello first of all I want to thank Nevcairiel and all those who help in the development of lav filters, I use them a long time along with other programs like MPcBe, Madvr, Svp. Many of you know that achieving a perfect reproduction not only depends of the hardware, but also good software, and last but not least, spend a good time to setting up all. This often provokes us headaches when a specific setting changes something that works or even when we not knows what setting made the change.That being said , I have a question to Nevcairiel or someone that can explaind, I use SVP generally for 1080p videos upscale to 4k, and playing around with lav settings , change to d3d11 option in hardware acceleration this improve so much the smoothness, and I really wanna know why or how , or even if that made the change.
Drakko01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 10:17   #22199  |  Link
mzso

Hi!

Did/does (doesn't have to be new) anyone make a build of LAV with a differing ID? I'm asking because I want two instances with different settings.

Or do I not need to do this?

Can I just register another LAV instance in a different folder and have different settings? It doesn't seem likely to me, even LAV 32 and 64 bit share the same settings...
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 13:57   #22200  |  Link
mzso

Okay, so I tried some ugly tinkering: copied the LAV folder created registry keys for it with the new location and a changed CLSID. And then selected it in ProgDVB.

Well, my intention didn't happen, but something weird started happening: madVR started showing DXVA so I guess it started decoding itself somehow. Also deinterlacing started working.
Which are desirable, but I don't why it happens or how long will it work.
Does anyone have an idea what's happening?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter