Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th May 2018, 06:59   #50801  |  Link
suanm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Are you watching 4K movies on a display with a resolution lower than 4K?

If yes, turn off the trade quality for performance option "scale chroma separately, if it saves performance". This option will let madVR avoid scaling chroma if it doesn't have to, instead scaling luma to reach the same resolution as the chroma. Effectively this is still converting to 4:4:4, but it is probably lower quality than scaling chroma to match the luma and then downscaling in RGB.
Master,I've done the test again and again for 5 hours this morning.I get now a best way to solve the intractable problem that i expand horizontal and vertical pixels to exceed the active pixels the display allows.Chroma upscale appears now.It works perfectly.The colors of 4K videos look very great.I'm sure the conversion of 4:2:0 format to 4:4:4 format is successful.Thank you very much
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 07:19   #50802  |  Link
suanm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Have you activated supersampling? (doubling action - always supersample).

It takes a fair amount horsepower, so you might need to adjust your settings for 4k movies when it's activated.
I didn't reset what you said above about supersampling.I just did as master Asmodian mentioned in madVR specification.Nothing more was reset by me.Thank you very much.
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 11:02   #50803  |  Link
tingtong5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingtong5 View Post
Hi all,

I am using madvr 0.92.14 on win10 build 1703 and it stops working as soon as I want to change settings (see attachment). Any idea why this happens or how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks.

Ronald
I found out that restoring settings to default solves the crashing issue, I will have to reconfigure madvr...
tingtong5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 12:11   #50804  |  Link
zaemon

Custom modes used to work for me, at least with some resolution. I was mostly using 3840x2160@23. I recently changed some hardware, switched to Windows 10 and despite the fact that I have installed one of the recommended NVIDIA driver, custom mode is broken.

Do any of you has a "strategy" to try to identify what the problem might be? Despite doing a clean install of the recommended driver?

I would also be interest to have some feedback from users using custom modes at a very specific resolution, eg. 4096x2160@23. I'm a Sony projector owner and this is now my default resolution.

Thanks.

On a completely different topic, I would also suggest to clarify the scaling tabs. I feel like it could be better. Isn't possible to clearly differentiate between luma and chroma scaling? I remember one build with four options: chroma doubling and quadrupling, luma doubling and quadrupling.

Anyway, love madVR. Excellent job!

Last edited by zaemon; 13th May 2018 at 12:17.
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 12:15   #50805  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
As long as it runs Windows non s you're fine.
The x86-to-ARM emulation is limited to 32-bit though, isn't it?
A native ARM64 binary would be faster but I don't think most developers would bother.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:26   #50806  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaemon View Post
Custom modes used to work for me, at least with some resolution. I was mostly using 3840x2160@23. I recently changed some hardware, switched to Windows 10 and despite the fact that I have installed one of the recommended NVIDIA driver, custom mode is broken.

Do any of you has a "strategy" to try to identify what the problem might be? Despite doing a clean install of the recommended driver?

I would also be interest to have some feedback from users using custom modes at a very specific resolution, eg. 4096x2160@23. I'm a Sony projector owner and this is now my default resolution.

Thanks.

On a completely different topic, I would also suggest to clarify the scaling tabs. I feel like it could be better. Isn't possible to clearly differentiate between luma and chroma scaling? I remember one build with four options: chroma doubling and quadrupling, luma doubling and quadrupling.

Install Geforce v390.65 driver, it's the last one that doesn't have the fubared custom resolutions.
I tried every single driver after that, they just do not work properly with custom resolutions.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 14:11   #50807  |  Link
k4rma

3d mvc

Hi, can someone help me? I've done a bunch of research but cant find a solution for playing a 3D MVC file.

Im running latest LAV and MadVR in MPC-HC 64bit on Win10 64bit, on a intel i5-4250u with HD 5000 graphics. Im using DX11 decoding.

I have 2D movies working fine but when i try to run a 3D MVC frame-packed file, while it displays properly on the TV, its very slow and the CPU is at 100%.

Any way to make LAV/MadVR work smoothly for these 3D movies or does my computer not have enough power?

thanks!
k4rma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 14:29   #50808  |  Link
huhn

the i5-4250u that can boost quite a lot. check the temps.

you are not using d3d11 decoding is software decoded there is no support for hardware MVC in lavfilter. h264 is not a real problem for most CPU but the i5-4250u is a dual core with 1.3 ghz...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 16:03   #50809  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4rma View Post
Hi, can someone help me? I've done a bunch of research but cant find a solution for playing a 3D MVC file.

Im running latest LAV and MadVR in MPC-HC 64bit on Win10 64bit, on a intel i5-4250u with HD 5000 graphics. Im using DX11 decoding.

I have 2D movies working fine but when i try to run a 3D MVC frame-packed file, while it displays properly on the TV, its very slow and the CPU is at 100%.

Any way to make LAV/MadVR work smoothly for these 3D movies or does my computer not have enough power?

thanks!
i'm using an ageing i7 2700k, this uses anything from 30 - 50 % cpu on my rigg, this cpu is about 3 times faster than yours in benchmarks so its likely you are over taxing it and your setup it fine.

you're going to need to upgrade the CPU i'm afraid as I doubt MVC will every get hardware accelerated in LAV.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 16:11   #50810  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaemon View Post

Thanks.

If custom modes used to work for you, running DDU usually solves these issues. I know you did a fresh install of the driver, but that isn't always good enough. This has fixed issues for me with custom resolutions twice now.

I am using the latest driver with a working custom mode.

Last edited by Warner306; 13th May 2018 at 16:42.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 16:55   #50811  |  Link
tingtong5

Madvr settings file?

Guys, am I going crazy or is there no settings.bin file anymore? I just manually reinstalled and reconfigured Madvr 0.92.14 and now I want to backup my settings, but there does not seem to be a settings.bin file created?

Ronald
Old 13th May 2018, 17:52   #50812  |  Link
huhn

does madVR have the rights to write?
or with other words where is madVR installed?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 17:52   #50813  |  Link
clsid

Settings are stored in the Registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR

You can backup/import that key with regedit.exe
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 20:20   #50814  |  Link
foozoor

@madshi
You seem very quiet.
Can we at least know what you're working on with the math genius?
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 20:34   #50815  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Could some of the guys having issues with custom resolutions clarify what their actual issues are?

I'm on the latest Nvidia drivers and have a custom res created in MadVR working perfectly.

I have noticed that some custom resolutions cause specific issues with my display such as green HDR but that only appears to be the closer I get to exactly 23.976.

I can get a decent custom res with everything working that only has 1 frame drop every hour or so. I can certainly live with that.
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 22:49   #50816  |  Link
brazen1

I upgraded to the latest driver a few days ago. This morning I tried custom mode setup as I've succeeded doing in the past with older drivers and failed. I tried Warners guide which is slightly different than how I normally did it in the past and still failed. All is well until I get to the pop up that says to play a video for half an hour and then return to madVR and press 'optimize' again. After playing a video I select 'optimize' again and it just returns me to the define timing parameters window again as if I didn't play a video to be analyzed. No new timing modes are added. Just the few originals. Selecting 'optimize' after playing a video pops up to play a video. After 4 attempts, I gave up. Also noticed MPC players start paused and simply deleting custom timing mode stuck awaiting analyzing didn't correct. Had to reinstall driver and video starts in play mode as it should. I also noticed when using DVDFab Player (nothing to do with madVR) HDR engages but the video crawls. Reinstalling the nvidia driver cured this too. Both were fine before messing with custom mode for 2160p 23Hz. I don't doubt it works for others, I just can't get it to cooperate.

Last edited by brazen1; 13th May 2018 at 22:54.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 23:11   #50817  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I upgraded to the latest driver a few days ago. This morning I tried custom mode setup as I've succeeded doing in the past with older drivers and failed. I tried Warners guide which is slightly different than how I normally did it in the past and still failed. All is well until I get to the pop up that says to play a video for half an hour and then return to madVR and press 'optimize' again. After playing a video I select 'optimize' again and it just returns me to the define timing parameters window again as if I didn't play a video to be analyzed. No new timing modes are added. Just the few originals. Selecting 'optimize' after playing a video pops up to play a video. After 4 attempts, I gave up. Also noticed MPC players start paused and simply deleting custom timing mode stuck awaiting analyzing didn't correct. Had to reinstall driver and video starts in play mode as it should. I also noticed when using DVDFab Player (nothing to do with madVR) HDR engages but the video crawls. Reinstalling the nvidia driver cured this too. Both were fine before messing with custom mode for 2160p 23Hz. I don't doubt it works for others, I just can't get it to cooperate.
So after you have played at least 30 minutes worth of 23.976 material ,does the 23hz option say "custom timings, optimization data available"?
If so, when you click on this and then press Optimize again, which window are you then taken to?
You said "define timing parameters" but the two windows I have are "edit timing parameters" if I press edit and "optimize timing parameters" if I press Optimize.
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 03:37   #50818  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Did you check to see if your custom mode was added in the Nvidia control panel? It sounds like your custom mode is being ignored and not being used/measured by madVR when playing a video with the correct refresh rate.

I ran into an issue after running DDU and installing new drivers where something seemed to be saved in the registry or madVR where custom timings were already available in the madVR custom modes menu after a fresh driver install. I went through the normal process and the custom mode was simply ignored.

I ran DDU a second time, and this time everything was set to the default in the madVR control panel under custom modes. Only then, I was able to get the custom mode to work. I don't know why it took two attempts with DDU to reset everything to its defaults.

Make sure everything is reset in madVR before attempting to create a custom mode. The custom mode panel shouldn't report any previous activity. And check to determine if any custom mode is available in the Nvidia control panel. If it's there, it is being ignored, so you can't optimize it.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 07:56   #50819  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingtong5 View Post
Guys, am I going crazy or is there no settings.bin file anymore? I just manually reinstalled and reconfigured Madvr 0.92.14 and now I want to backup my settings, but there does not seem to be a settings.bin file created?

Ronald
Give the madVR folder Full Control permissions for Users.
"settings.bin" should appear next time you make changes.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 10:53   #50820  |  Link
tingtong5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Give the madVR folder Full Control permissions for Users.
"settings.bin" should appear next time you make changes.
Thanks! I'm gonna try that.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling