Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 26th May 2010, 20:46   #1  |  Link
Soliloquy

mkv segment linking.

I could use some help with mkv segments... I encoded an OP, ED and an episode (with megui) separately, and then linked them with a chapter file. All went well, except that the ending 'hiccuped' and played a bit of it's beginning right before the preview.
Based on what I have read, this has to do with what type of frame segments start and end with... but what do I do about it? Or am I even right?
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 21:12   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say, but CoreAVC is known to produce "hiccups" on chapter changes when using ordered chapters. Try a different decoder (like e.g. ffdshow) to test if you're using it.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 15:00   #3  |  Link
Soliloquy

As far as I know, I'm using ffdshow for decoding.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure that this post-and-answer I found describes my problem... I have no idea what a qp file is though. >_>

There seems to be a small problem at 12:00 where the playback repeats for a second or so right at the end of part A. It makes Sakura look as though she’s doing a quick double take.

That is a side effect of ordered chapters when transition points don’t occur exactly on keyframes. Usually I would use a qp file while encoding to ensure there are keyframes at every chapter point, but I somehow forgot to do that this time.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:29   #4  |  Link
sneaker_ger

A qp file looks like this:
Code:
150 I -1
2500 I -1
Save this to a file and add the following parameter to your x264 command line: "--qpfile filename".
The example above will set frames 150 and 2500 to I(DR)-Frames.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 20:20   #5  |  Link
Soliloquy

Oh, thank you! Going to see if it makes a difference.

Edit: Not sure if it was this since I did several new stuff, but it maybe works now. o_o
Why maybe? Well... at first it 'hiccuped', but then it worked. I think I'll have to get someone else view the vid. >_>

Anyway, thanks for the qp file thing.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 31st May 2010 at 09:03.