Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 28th October 2008, 22:03   #1  |  Link
JimH443

Total Newb to Avisynth

Here are the steps this n00b to AviSynth has taken so far:

1) Downloaded Avisynth_257.exe from SourceForge
2) Ran it
3) I created the test.avs containing the single command: Version
4) This failed to open with either WMP or VLC.

I'm absolutely positive there's something that needs to be done that I haven't yet... but I don't see anything telling me what that might be.
JimH443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 22:18   #2  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
4) This failed to open with either WMP or VLC.
What happened? Did you get an error message?
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 22:27   #3  |  Link
JimH443

WMP said it didn't recognize the file type and when forced to play it anyway it showed nothing.
VLC just loaded into memory and acted as if there wasn't any video to play.

WinXP SP2
Intel Celeron D 3.33 Ghz
1.5 GB RAM
GeForce 8500GT video card, with this month's drivers installed from NVIDIA's website.
WMP 11
VLC 0.8.6d

(DLing VLC 0.9.4 right now )

Last edited by JimH443; 28th October 2008 at 22:38. Reason: Added System info
Old 28th October 2008, 22:33   #4  |  Link

Maybe you are hiding your file extensions and your editor added .txt (or something) to the end of the file name. Turn on display of file extensions and make sure that the file ends in ".avs".
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 22:45   #5  |  Link
JimH443

I wish it were that simple. No, I long ago unhid the "known file extensions." Thanks for the suggestion though.

The icon for the test.avs file is the one that's unique to Avisynth related files (whatever that thing is supposed to be ) And under "Type" it says "Avisynth Script"

I think I should add that I have to manually use "Open With" - no file associations were made during the installation process. And, since there has yet to be a successful open, I get the dialog box asking me whether to use a Web service to find the appropriate program or to select the program from a list. I select the program manually. I tried using the Web service option, but it didn't recognize the file type.

Last edited by JimH443; 28th October 2008 at 23:04. Reason: Added details about how WinXP is displaying the file in Explorer
Old 28th October 2008, 23:09   #6  |  Link
JimH443

What I find odd is that the AVISynth_257.exe, when run, seems to contain nothing but HTM's, half a dozen AVS's and three files in the plugins directory. The only EXE I have is the Uninstall.exe.

Am I supposed to have more than this? If not, am I supposed to put the files in the plugins directory somewhere else too?
Old 28th October 2008, 23:16   #7  |  Link

It sounds like you did not install Avisynth correctly.

The exe doesn't contain anything, it is an installer. It should place the avisynth.dll in your system32 directory, make some registry entries, and create an avisynth directory with some stuff in it. There's no program to run. When you open an AVS script the system does the work behind the scenes using the avisynth.dll in conjunction with the registry entries.

Last edited by Guest; 28th October 2008 at 23:18.
Old 28th October 2008, 23:25   #8  |  Link

Try opening your version.avs script in VirtualDub. Use File/Open video file, and NOT File/Run script.
Old 28th October 2008, 23:40   #9  |  Link
JimH443

Much to my surprise, opening in VirtualDub works. I get the 10 second copyright notice.

avisynth.dll is in the System32 directory, and since it recognizes AVS files as being of the type "Avisynth script" and uses the unique icon for them that at least SOME modification to the registry has been done. I wasn't given any options (that I can recall) during installation - with the possible exception of the destination directory, to which I would have used the default one. (C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5)
Old 28th October 2008, 23:48   #10  |  Link

Sounds like you're OK then. Not all apps open AVS scripts. As long as your encoder does, you're golden.
Old 28th October 2008, 23:50   #11  |  Link
JimH443

I am re-running the installation program to refresh my memory. I see now that there were options, but I never change them from the default values. In my case, it selected English documentation and it chose on its own not to select any of the following file associations:

Associate AVS with Notepad (open)
Associate AVS with Media Player 6.4 (play)
Add AviSynth Script to New Items Menu

The installer also chose not to select the "Select Extra Files" option.

I installed using the installer's default selections.
Old 28th October 2008, 23:54   #12  |  Link
JimH443

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Sounds like you're OK then. Not all apps open AVS scripts. As long as your encoder does, you're golden.
I had read in the manual on the very first page that Windows Media Player was supposed to be able to do this. Arg...

From the docs\english\index.htm:

For testing create a file called test.avs and put the following single line of text in it:

Version

Now open this file with e.g. Windows Media Player and you should see a ten-second video clip showing AviSynth's version number and a copyright notice.

So much for believing what I read.
Old 28th October 2008, 23:55   #13  |  Link

When that was first written Windows Media Player was very different.
Old 28th October 2008, 23:57   #14  |  Link
JimH443

Thank you for the patience, BTW
Old 29th October 2008, 00:07   #15  |  Link
JimH443

Interesting....

I reran the installer - choosing all the options (other than the foreign language docs). As you mentioned, a very different version of WMP is loaded when an AVS is played (successfully, I might add).