Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2007, 07:54   #381  |  Link
honai

Yeah, that worked, thanks!

Old 12th August 2007, 19:11   #382  |  Link
honai

@mosu

Could you please take a look at AVC muxing problems as described in this thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=128768

Thanks.

Old 12th August 2007, 19:34   #383  |  Link
Livesms

How do I cut/trim some part from a mkv video file?

I need to cut 3 sec at the begining of the movie and minute after?
I have no idea how to do it using mmg. Maybe some clm line options???
Old 15th August 2007, 20:46   #384  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
@mosu

I've muxed an EAC3 track into .mkv a while ago. Now that madshi's eac3to has matured I want to extract it again, but MKVExtractGUI says it doesn't support extraction of EAC3. Any idea how to get the raw EAC3 out there?
Use http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20070815-2.rar

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 15th August 2007, 22:02   #385  |  Link
DeepBeepMeep

Many thanks Mosu!!!

It seems to work very well with both some AVC coming from an EVO and an m2ts file! Seeking is even fast. There is a small bug though which is not a big deal: the default output name in mkvtoolnix contains two "\" instead of one in the path
Old 15th August 2007, 22:29   #386  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Oh? Well... that should still work. But I'll take a look at it.

Old 19th August 2007, 13:43   #387  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Hey,

I've just released mkvtoolnix v2.1.0:

The source code:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-2.1.0.tar.bz2

The Windows Unicode binary:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....1.0-setup.exe

The other binaries are available from the home page:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

Here's the ChangeLog since the previous release:
------------------------------------------------------------
2007-08-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* Released v2.1.0.

2007-08-16 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Added support for reading MP2 audio tracks from OGM files. Patch by Mihail Zenkov (see AUTHORS).

2007-08-15 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvextract: enhancement: Added support for extracting Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3) tracks.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: SPS and PPS NALUs are no longer removed from AVC/h.264 streams. Hopefully a fix for bug 231.

2007-07-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Fixed SSA/ASS detection for files produced by Aegis Sub which doesn't include a line with '[script info]' in the file.

2007-07-07 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: Added another option how mmg choses the directory if automatic output filename creation is on. Implements all suggestions as listed in bug 248.

2007-07-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: Moved the complete 'settings' tab to its own dialog accessible via the 'Settings' option in the 'File' menu.

2007-06-30 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: new feature: Added a buton 'remove all' which removes all input files and tracks leaving all other options as they are. Fix for bug 248.
* mmg: new feature: Added an option for setting the default output directory if the automatic setting of the output file name is turned on. Fix for bug 248.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: DTS code: Some tools (e.g. Surcode) can create DTS files which are padded with zero bytes after each DTS frame. These zero bytes are now skipped without printing a warning.
* mmg: enhancement: mmg can now be called with any file name as an argument. If it ends with 'mmg' then the file will be loaded as a 'mmg settings file'. Otherwise mmg will 'add' it. Fix for bug 243.

2007-06-27 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The OGM reader uses the OGM's timestamps for video tracks. Before it would just use the current frame number multiplied by the FPS.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: The OGM reader now uses the AVC/h.264 video packetizer for AVC/h.264 tracks so that the aspect ratio can be extracted from it.

2007-06-25 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fixes: Fixed a couple of memory leaks.

2007-06-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added better checks if two tracks can be appended to the passthrough packetizer so that tracks that are otherwise not known to mkvmerge can still be appended (e.g. V_VC1). Fix for bug 244.

2007-06-23 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: The NALU size length can now be chosen for all AVC tracks, not only for those that are handled by the 'AVC ES packetizer'.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The 'default track' flag was set to 'yes' for tracks read from Matroska files even if 'no' was specified on the command line.
* mkvextract: new feature: Added support for the 'header removal' encoding scheme.

2007-06-21 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: The NALU size length of an AVC/h.264 track can now be changed even if the source is not an elementary stream (e.g. for MP4 and Matroska files).

2007-06-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Added support for RealAudio v3 in RealMedia files. Patch by Aurelian Jacobs. Fix for bug 246.

2007-06-11 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: Moved the command line to a separate dialog and reduced the main window's height.

2007-04-30 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Another bug fix for handling various AC3 and E-AC3 files in MPEG program streams.

2007-04-26 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Added support for handling SEI NALUs in AVC/h.264 elementary streams so that "key frames" can be detected even if no IDR slices are present.

2007-04-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed the VobSub reader so that "delay:" lines with negative timecodes are accepted. Fix for bug 241.

2007-04-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Improved the file type detection code for MPEG transport streams.

2007-03-23 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed a problem reading normal AC3 tracks from MPEG program streams.

2007-03-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed an issue with negative/huge timecodes after splitting AVC/h.264 video.

2007-03-16 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: The SRT reader allows "." as the decimal separator as well as ",".

2007-03-12 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed a problem with concatenating more than two subtitle files.

2007-03-08 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: The MPEG program stream reader will now sort the tracks it finds first by their type (video > audio > subs) and then by their stream ID.
* mkvmerge: Disabled the support for DTS tracks in MPEG program streams because DTS HD is not supported yet.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Implemented a major speed-up for reading MPEG-1/2 and AVC/h.264 tracks from MPEG program streams.

2007-03-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Fixed the MPEG PS reader so that it will just skip blocks whose headers it cannot parse instead of aborting.
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for handling AVC/h.264 tracks in MPEG program streams.

2007-03-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for EAC3 tracks in MPEG program streams.
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for EAC3/DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus) files and tracks (raw EAC3 files or inside Matroska with CodecID A_EAC3).
------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun.

Mosu

Old 19th August 2007, 14:16   #388  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

wow!

a huge changelog! with very nice features!

thanks Mosu!

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
Old 19th August 2007, 15:31   #389  |  Link
video_magic

Thank You Mosu!
Old 19th August 2007, 18:38   #390  |  Link
Nikos

Many thanks Mosu for your hard work!!!
Old 20th August 2007, 03:03   #391  |  Link
Isochroma

Your dedicated labours are greatly appreciated. I do however have a question regarding one item in the changelog:
* mkvmerge: Disabled the support for DTS tracks in MPEG program streams because DTS HD is not supported yet.
What about regular DTS tracks in MPEG program streams? In other words, is all DTS-in-MPEG-PS support disabled because there is no DTS-HD capability?
Old 20th August 2007, 07:19   #392  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post
What about regular DTS tracks in MPEG program streams? In other words, is all DTS-in-MPEG-PS support disabled because there is no DTS-HD capability?
Yes, because I don't have a method for distinguishing between normal DTS and DTS-HD. The problem is that with DTS-HD mkvmerge spills out thousands of warnings about skipped bytes which are not only annoying but slowing down the muxing process a lot.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could get me two pieces of information: 1. A way to detect if a DTS stream is a DTS-HD stream (not only if it is in another container like MPEG TS) and 2. how to determine the size of each DTS-HD packet. That would probably be everything I need for DTS-HD support. Not that I could actually test it as I lack playback capability

Old 20th August 2007, 07:58   #393  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Maybe this helps?

http://www.digital-digest.com/softwa...1&ssid=0&did=1

It's orbitlee's small dtscore tool which can extract the DTS core from a DTS-HD stream.
Old 20th August 2007, 11:49   #394  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
It's orbitlee's small dtscore tool which can extract the DTS core from a DTS-HD stream.
Unfortunately this doens't help me. orbitlee is using only the information that I have as well. His tool is looking for valid DTS sync words, gets the size "s" of the DTS packet from the headers, copies "s" bytes to the output file, and then it simply looks for the next packet header.

This is what mkvmerge does as well, but it interpretes the presence of stuff between the end of the DTS "core" packet and the next sync word as being garbage (or the stream as being damaged). I don't want to change that behaviour, though, because those error message provide the user with an indication that he should check A/V sync in the case of real damage to the stream. So I would still like to be able to look at the following data and say "oh, this is the HD extension, so let's include it and change the CodecID accordingly".

*sigh* I just love closed standards...

Last edited by Mosu; 20th August 2007 at 12:43.
Old 20th August 2007, 13:05   #395  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

There are two new DTS formats:

(1) DTS-HD Hi-Resolution Audio
(2) DTS-HD Master Audio

The first one is still lossy, the second one is lossless. As far as I can say, the first one "looks" to us like a normal DTS stream. So there's nothing special we have to do with it.

The 2nd one seems to have additional information in the stream which looks "unknown" to us. As far as I can say (with a hex editor) the two bytes after each valid DTS frame are hex "64 58" (which are the ascii chars "dX"). That might be the signature of DTS-HD Master Audio blocks. The size of these blocks seems to differ, depending on how difficult the audio signal is to compress.
Old 20th August 2007, 21:57   #396  |  Link
DreckSoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
* mkvmerge: bug fix: SPS and PPS NALUs are no longer removed from AVC/h.264 streams. Hopefully a fix for bug 231.
This helps with distorted video on some files, but there's still a problem with muxing H264.

Con Air Blu-Ray is a example which doesn't work. Remuxing the m2s with TSRemux does work (but I can't add extra Audio here) but demuxing (either the m2ts or the remuxed ts) the H264 and remuxing to MKV results in a async audio (video runs longer than it should).

The same problem exists with all newer Premiere HD Streams. Currently I know no way of properly muxing H264 files extracted from Premiere HD Recordings into MKV. I don't know whats wrong with these files but the problems are the same as with Con Air.

I'm currently running h264_parse on Con Air but is seems as I'll get a HUGE logfile (4MB and growing)
Old 20th August 2007, 23:19   #397  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreckSoft View Post
Currently I know no way of properly muxing H264 files extracted from Premiere HD Recordings into MKV.
"Haali Media Splitter -> Haali Matroska" has never failed on me yet. Well, ok, it fails on HD DVD h264 movies. But it doesn't produce results with sync problems. It either totally fails or totally succeeds. On PremiereHD movies it has always succeeded for me yet. Didn't try very new PremiereHD records yet, though.
Old 28th August 2007, 21:30   #398  |  Link
Pirks

Mosu, thanks for your great job! But, alas, there's always something to improve

Here you go. I've got a list of two suggestions for improvement, let's see if you think they are worth adding to the next release of mkvtoolnix. Everything below is tested with the latest mkvtoolnix 2.1.0

1) Add support for AC3 audio tracks in MOV files. Here's a sample of such a file for you: http://www.dniq-online.com/misc/vide...-explosion.mov

I'm getting the following message when trying to remux that MOV into MKV:

Warning: Quicktime/MP4 reader: Unknown/unsupported FourCC 'ac-3' for track 2.

2) Add support for MIDI soundtrack in MOV files. Here's a sample of such a file for you: http://www.dniq-online.com/misc/scre...soundtrack.mov

mkvtoolnix does not see any MIDI tracks in this file. It says there is only a video track inside.

So what do you think about these two improvements, Mosu? Are they worth looking into?
Old 30th September 2007, 17:56   #399  |  Link
chros

Feature request (again): cutting mkv file

Hi Mosu!

I have post a small guide on this topic with current tools here (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...21#post1050021), and I have wondered how much work would be to add this feature: I think not much.

The problem with this method:
- we have to write the whole file again (time/space consuming)
- the end point is a Keyframe too

What do you think about this:
- add a frame below the "Splitting frame" on Global tab with the following controls
- add a checkbox labelled "Enable Cutting" (if this checked then the Splitting frame is disabled and vice versa), an another textbox like "...after timecodes" after it labeled "cut at timecodes" AND a checkbox labeled "output 1 file", and a "link files" checkbox
- the new textbox would accept only a pair of timecode values (the cutpoints, so the number of entered timecodes must be mod 2): eg. "00:03:15,00:11:56.569" (in this case we got 1 file) or "00:03:15,00:11:56.569,00:26:00,00:29:45" (in this case there are 2 segments, and we got 1 or 2 files based upon the setting of the checkbox)
- the detection of the begin point of a cut-range is already implemented (if it must be a keyframe/ I frame) and the end point must be an I or P frame (am I right?)
- the only hard work would be with chapters and subtitles WHEN the "output 1 file" is checked (if it's true, you can drop this feature for now )

I hope it's really not much work to implement this, so a long awaited feature would be present in mkvmerge !

Thanks

PS:
another feature request with attachments: can you detect them (like embedded fonts), because if I deselect a SSA subtitle stream and I mux the file again, it mux the fonts anyway ...
Or can I delete an attachment file with the command-line of mkvmerge (I saw no examples at the docs) or must I extract the other streams and remux again without it?

Last edited by chros; 30th September 2007 at 17:59.
Old 23rd October 2007, 19:30   #400  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Due to missing time I will not implement multiple splitpoints. I might implement better attachment handling for mmg.

Closed Thread