Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2010, 16:11   #1  |  Link
seggitek
Interested Newbie

AviSynth MT under Linux not loading plugins

I've just setup wine 1.3.5 under Linux and installed AviSynth 2.5.8 MT version.

I created an AVS file for an encode. After it was finished, I added the multi threading function calls. That's when I got the following error loading the script in VirtualDub using wine:

Code:
Avisynth open failure:
LoadPlugin: unable to get plugin list $Plugins$, loading
"C:\MyProgies\AviSynth\plugins\LoadPluginEx.dll"
(C:\Encoding\Movie\movie_MT.avs, line 6)
The script looks like this:

Code:
# Activate multithreaded encoding
tc = 6
SetMTMode(2, tc)

# PLUGINS
LoadPlugin("C:\MyProgies\AviSynth\plugins\mt_masktools-25.dll") # <--- this is line 6
If I change the order of the loaded plugins the error is the same.

The error is gone if I remove the call of SetMTMode(...)

I reinstalled AviSynth. That did not help. I was googling around and found a lot of other causes for this error that don't seem to apply here. Any ideas?
seggitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 00:02   #2  |  Link
ganymede

I'm using AviSynth 2.6 MT 32 bits under wine 1.3.4, and I don't have any problem loading plugins, with or without SetMTMode.
You might want to give it a try :
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=148782
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 18:14   #3  |  Link
seggitek
Interested Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try and let you know if it solved the problem.
Old 24th October 2010, 18:22   #4  |  Link
seggitek
Interested Newbie

Problem is gone with AviSynth 2.6 MT. Thank you very much for you help.
Old 24th October 2010, 18:29   #5  |  Link
seggitek
Interested Newbie

One last thing please. I'm interested if you experience the same problem.

When I open the AVS file with VirtualDub using wine the program is showing Frame #0 (the first frame). Then when I keep pressing the right key I am moving forward in the movie. Then I hit the jump to first frame button in VirtualDub and what I get is not the first frame, but the next one displayed instead of the first one.

It looks like that the order of the frames gets messed up. I had exactly the same problem with wine 1.0.1 and AviSynth 2.5.7 MT. That is why I wanted to try it all again with the latest builds.

The problem is not there if I remove MT calls and/or I open the same script under Windows.
Old 24th October 2010, 20:57   #6  |  Link
ganymede

VirtualDub worked perfectly with avisynth even in MT mode when I last used it a few days ago.

Now, avisynth does not work anymore at all on my system.
VirtualDub, avs2yuv, avs2avi, etc., freeze or crash when running an avisynth script. When there's only "Version()" in the script, avs2yuv can render it, but VirtualDub and avs2avi fail. avs2yuv and avs2avi display an error message like : "wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x0036c680 at address 0x53a3b3 (thread 0009)".
VirtualDub freezes when opening a video file by itself.
DGIndex still works without problems.

A lot of programs and libraries were updated recently on my system (archlinux), including wine 1.3.5. I don't know which one is responsible for this behaviour. Downgrading to wine 1.3.4 didn't change anything, so I guess this issue is not related to wine itself but to another library.

I cannot help you ATM...

[EDIT1]
After further investigation, it seems I can still use avisynth under linux/wine with avs2yuv and avsproxy. avsproxy can connect to avidemux and crashes only *after* (ie. when I close the avsproxy gui). avs2yuv crashes when rendering the frames to a .y4m file, but can still pipe video (to ffmpeg or x264 for instance) and also crashes after the frames were piped. Weird.

[EDIT2]
Updated avsproxy to latest version (2010-10-01). Reverted from kemuri9's version of avs2yuv (http://kemuri9.net/dev/avs/avs2yuv/avs2yuv.zip) to Loren Merritt's version (http://akuvian.org/src/avisynth/avs2yuv/). These two programs work fine now, they don't crash anymore. I don't know what they have different from other versions... Weird.

Last edited by ganymede; 24th October 2010 at 23:22.
Old 1st November 2010, 13:28   #7  |  Link
seggitek
Interested Newbie

I got it working with AviSynth 2.6 MT and wine 1.3.5 under Ubuntu Linux. The speed tests on the encode mentioned previously show that it is slower than under Windows Xp.

AviSynth 2.6 MT + wine 1.3.5 + Ubuntu Linux 8.10: CPU usage 30% (encoding speed 14.0 fps)
AviSynth 2.5.8 MT + Windows Xp: CPU usage 45% (encoding speed 22.0 fps)

Codec used: ffdshow hfyu
I am using a quad-core Intel processor.
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:34   #8  |  Link
ganymede

The problem I reported (some video applications crashing under linux/wine) has something to do with video and/or 3D drivers and acceleration.

Quicktime-based apps (QTInput and Quicktime Player) are crashing when the X server is launched with the nvidia proprietary driver, but not with another video driver (tested with 'nv' and 'vesa'). I can use QTInput again to process intermediate renders from cinelerra.

VirtualDub is still freezing with 'nv' and 'vesa' but at least it displays an error message :
Code:
An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'wined3d'
avs2avi works only with '-o n -c null', otherwise it crashes.

I tried to change display settings in winecfg to disallow Vertex Shader and Pixel Shader hardware support, but it didn't change anything.