Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 30th December 2010, 01:17   #10661  |  Link
torque2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
How are you set for memory? That's the only thing I can think of that would be different between a direct open and doing the same thing from within BD-RB.
8GB of ECC RAM (using an HP xw6200 with dual 3.8GHz Xeon CPUs)

Quote:
Another possibility is that the priority would be "Idle" (the default) when it is called from BD-RB, so if you have other things going MPC would be getting only the leftover CPU time -- especially if there is an Antivirus scan occuring. On that note -- try disabling your antivirus and see if it is doing checks that are causing the delay... now that I think of it, that's probably a good place to start, antivirus software just loves to interfere when one program calls another.
Will try that tonight; sounds VERY plausible. I'm using MSE (not the latest 2.0 version yet).
torque2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 01:51   #10662  |  Link
IVaN_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2k View Post
8GB of ECC RAM (using an HP xw6200 with dual 3.8GHz Xeon CPUs)
I'd consider upgrading to 16GB
IVaN_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 02:03   #10663  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVaN_000 View Post
I'd consider upgrading to 16GB
BD-RB works fine with 4GB. I'm running on 8GB as well.
Old 30th December 2010, 02:41   #10664  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
BD-RB works fine with 4GB. I'm running on 8GB as well.
I have only 3 GB of triple channel memory only running at 1066Ghz with my I7 920 at the stock 2.67Ghz, with no problems here.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 09:56   #10665  |  Link
omegaman7

I've had both 4gb and 8Gb in my secondary system(which is where I run BD rebuilder), Ram really isn't that crucial for BD rebuilder. I imagine 1 - 2Gb is ample(Depending on the O.S.).
My second encode of Knight And Day is complete. Output size unchanged at 21.7Gb. However, the video quality has been drastically improved. I will probably stick with Default High Quality settings in the future, unless a lot of compression is needed. "Good: very fast" setting should not be done/used lightly. In my opinion anyway. Blacks are simply to greatly effected, if care is not taken. I am rather critical though...

Last edited by omegaman7; 30th December 2010 at 09:58.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 11:51   #10666  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
@colinhunt;
since the input size is less than the desired output size, thus no reencoding is necessary, have you tried just burning this original to a BD-R/RE?
The original is 42GB and contains two movies, Death Proof and Planet Terror. But yeah, I guess I could drop the problematic M2TS into tsremux and let it do a remux with output to Blu-ray.

update: tsmuxer 1.10.6 reports that the file contains unrecognized streams and removes the English 2-channel audio (commentary) from the mux. Mediainfo has no problem reporting specs of the file.

update2: TsRemux 0.0.21.2 opens the file without problems and lets me do a remux to Blu-ray. I also opened the disc into BDInfo v0.5.6 and noticed that the 00035.MPLS playlist containing 00009.m2ts shows the English 2-channel commentary audio as a hidden track.

Last edited by colinhunt; 30th December 2010 at 12:08.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 15:16   #10667  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
I've had both 4gb and 8Gb in my secondary system(which is where I run BD rebuilder), Ram really isn't that crucial for BD rebuilder. I imagine 1 - 2Gb is ample(Depending on the O.S.).
My second encode of Knight And Day is complete. Output size unchanged at 21.7Gb. However, the video quality has been drastically improved. I will probably stick with Default High Quality settings in the future, unless a lot of compression is needed. "Good: very fast" setting should not be done/used lightly. In my opinion anyway. Blacks are simply to greatly effected, if care is not taken. I am rather critical though...
I've done hundreds of discs using that setting and never had an issue. I believe there is something peculiar about "Knight and Day" -- I'll pick it up and see how it looks. What scene should I look at closely? Can you post your INF file so I can see the bitrates?

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th December 2010 at 15:19.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 15:28   #10668  |  Link
Capsbackup

I did Knight and Day to BD5, even kept some extras, so the total reencode time was approx. 2:25:00. Though unusually much for a BD5, I did do a two pass at default quality. I believe the main feature received about 3300kbps. The quality looked excellent on my 50" Samsung plasma, no apparent differences from the original, even in the high action scenes!
Old 30th December 2010, 15:32   #10669  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
The original is 42GB and contains two movies, Death Proof and Planet Terror. But yeah, I guess I could drop the problematic M2TS into tsremux and let it do a remux with output to Blu-ray.

update: tsmuxer 1.10.6 reports that the file contains unrecognized streams and removes the English 2-channel audio (commentary) from the mux. Mediainfo has no problem reporting specs of the file.

update2: TsRemux 0.0.21.2 opens the file without problems and lets me do a remux to Blu-ray. I also opened the disc into BDInfo v0.5.6 and noticed that the 00035.MPLS playlist containing 00009.m2ts shows the English 2-channel commentary audio as a hidden track.
You could also set FORCE_NOENCODE=1 in the BD-RB INI and let it do the rebuild with no reecoding. So what is a "hidden track"? Something that isn't reported in the MPLS? Or is it a track that is muxed into the M2TS but isn't listed in the Program Stream Map?

Be careful when using old versions of TSMUXER -- earlier ones will create a corrupted CLPI file with a bad EP_MAP.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th December 2010 at 15:57.
Old 30th December 2010, 16:15   #10670  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Be careful when using old versions of TSMUXER -- earlier ones will create a corrupted CLPI file with a bad EP_MAP.
I think the reference is to "TsRemux 0.0.21.2".
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125447
An alternative but not nearly as useful as tsMuxeR.
Old 30th December 2010, 17:07   #10671  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I think the reference is to "TsRemux 0.0.21.2".
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125447
An alternative but not nearly as useful as tsMuxeR.
Ahh... I guess sometimes you read what you are expecting instead of what is actually there -- it said TSREMUX and I saw TSMUXER.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th December 2010 at 17:12.
Old 30th December 2010, 17:39   #10672  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Ahh... I guess sometimes you read what you are expecting instead of what is actually there -- it said TSREMUX and I saw TSMUXER.
Happens with me too!
Interesting that TSREMUX can demux IGS streams, but does not allow for remux.
Also displays secondary PiP audio, but does not allow demux.
Old 30th December 2010, 18:05   #10673  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
You could also set FORCE_NOENCODE=1 in the BD-RB INI and let it do the rebuild with no reecoding. So what is a "hidden track"? Something that isn't reported in the MPLS? Or is it a track that is muxed into the M2TS but isn't listed in the Program Stream Map?
Seems to be a case of peculiar authoring. Planet Terror has a "commentary" track (an audience reaction track, to be more precise) but there's no commentary listed anywhere in the menus for Death Proof (00009.m2ts). I guess that's why the track has been marked as hidden. Weird stuff.
Old 30th December 2010, 19:03   #10674  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

I tried BDRB last night and this morning found a blue screen on my PC having to do with a Power driver. It appears that the PC tried to enter Sleep mode while BDRB was running and suffered a crash--I know how to avoid this for the future, but am surprised that BDRB does not tell the PC it's working? Running W7 OS 64bit here, and I usually run x264 "by hand" whereby I have to issue "powercfg -change -standby-timeout-ac 0" to keep it from going to sleep while encoding.

BTW it appears jdobbs that you addressed/fixed this way-back in May? Hmmm, I tried latest 36.09 here of course. I had manually selected Highest Quality and 1 Pass ABR encoding options, and the PC appears to have tried to Sleep while it was Reencoding:

Last edited by laserfan; 30th December 2010 at 19:12.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 19:48   #10675  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
Seems to be a case of peculiar authoring. Planet Terror has a "commentary" track (an audience reaction track, to be more precise) but there's no commentary listed anywhere in the menus for Death Proof (00009.m2ts). I guess that's why the track has been marked as hidden. Weird stuff.
Probably an easter egg of some sort.
Old 30th December 2010, 19:49   #10676  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
I tried BDRB last night and this morning found a blue screen on my PC having to do with a Power driver. It appears that the PC tried to enter Sleep mode while BDRB was running and suffered a crash--I know how to avoid this for the future, but am surprised that BDRB does not tell the PC it's working? Running W7 OS 64bit here, and I usually run x264 "by hand" whereby I have to issue "powercfg -change -standby-timeout-ac 0" to keep it from going to sleep while encoding.

BTW it appears jdobbs that you addressed/fixed this way-back in May? Hmmm, I tried latest 36.09 here of course. I had manually selected Highest Quality and 1 Pass ABR encoding options, and the PC appears to have tried to Sleep while it was Reencoding:
That's an issue with the PC, not BD-RB. A program shouldn't have to say "I'm running" to the O/S that is running it.
Old 30th December 2010, 19:55   #10677  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
I did Knight and Day to BD5, even kept some extras, so the total reencode time was approx. 2:25:00. Though unusually much for a BD5, I did do a two pass at default quality. I believe the main feature received about 3300kbps. The quality looked excellent on my 50" Samsung plasma, no apparent differences from the original, even in the high action scenes!
Ahhh, but you went for default quality, which is what I now like. Plus Plasma screens have excellent blacks

I'll be posting the inf soon Jdobbs. I have to rerun the job. I didn't think to save the original inf file. Shouldn't take more than 1.5 - 2hrs.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 20:09   #10678  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Probably an easter egg of some sort.
Deffo something wonky with this disc. "Scanning directory" phase takes at least 10x longer than other discs with same amount of content and playlists. I inserted FORCE_NOENCODE=1 into ini file and chose the problematic playlist. Extraction of video streams halted at 4.4%, BD-RB went non-responsive and Task Manager showed tsmuxer hogging memory at a rate of 1MB per second until it got to ~300MB, at which stage BD-RB came back to life and Current Progress bar started updating again. At the same time tsmuxer memory use dropped to 8MB. Extraction phase is at 70% now. ... OK, video stream extraction is done. Audio stream extraction halted at 6.2%, BD-RB is frozen and tsmuxer memory use has gone from 4MB to 180MB in moments. Now at 215MB... 240MB... and BD-RB stopped in the same error message as before, "Reading buffer overflow". I think I'll take a closer look at the 2nd English audio track.

Well, mystery solved. When you start Death Proof, the movie is preceded by three fake trailers. The commentary track is 155 seconds long and can be activated for the third trailer only. Why it messes up tsmuxer I have no idea.

Last edited by colinhunt; 30th December 2010 at 20:55.
Old 30th December 2010, 20:20   #10679  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs

Hi!
Quote:
I believe there is something peculiar about "Knight and Day"
The only exceptional things that I'm aware of regarding "Knight and Day" are that:

1) It is a Fox BD+ release

2) There's a 3 disc version as well as a single disc version

3) The additional extras on the 3 disc version are actually also on the single disc version, but are "hidden". (I believe Fox is doing this with virtually all of its recent/current releases that have single and multiple disc versions)

Last edited by setarip_old; 30th December 2010 at 20:24.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 20:43   #10680  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@jdobbs

Hi! The only exceptional things that I'm aware of regarding "Knight and Day" are that:

1) It is a Fox BD+ release

2) There's a 3 disc version as well as a single disc version

3) The additional extras on the 3 disc version are actually also on the single disc version, but are "hidden". (I believe Fox is doing this with virtually all of its recent/current releases that have single and multiple disc versions)
I guess I'd better head out and pick it up. We've got a huge snowstorm coming in from the North -- and I may be locked-in for a couple days.