Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing

Old 13th November 2012, 03:26   #1  |  Link
Incendia
watches the world burn

Better decoders in Premiere Pro / Sony Vegas? ( Colorspace issues )

Is there any way to make Sony Vegas and/or Adobe Premiere use alternate decoders for certain filetypes?

I'm trying to archive some UTCodec YUV422 (ULY2) files as H264 High 4:2:2 using x264, but Vegas refuses to read the video ( Instead showing a green frame ), while Premiere Pro seems to offset color channels or something
( See : http://imgur.com/a/su1EJ ).

I'm primarily a Vegas user, but can convert to premiere if it's the only application that can be "fixed". Currently it looks like neither's decoder support the High 4:2:2 spec, even though Mainconcept's decoder is supposed to ( I know that's what Premiere uses, I'm not entirely sure about Vegas )

4:2:0 works fine in both, but damages color too much for archiving.

ref: Sony Vegas Pro 11, Premiere Pro CS5
Incendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 09:21   #2  |  Link
Warperus

So, you have H264 High 4:2:2 (made using x264) as input for Sony Vegas? It uses internal codecs for some known types, QuickTime for mov and some mp4 files and VfW codecs for avi files. As far as I know, Vegas reads H264 with QuickTime (in mp4) or internal mainconcept codec, but 4:2:2 profile is not supported, and you can't use arbitrary decoder unless you hide the fact it's h264. So you need to use some sort of proxy/frameserver.

For example, you can set up ffdshow tryouts, set up .avs files support in vfw decoder configuration, make avisynth script and put avs file into Vegas. Or you can set up ffdshow support for High422 profile, use make avi tool in ffdshow and then open this proxy avi in vegas.

The other way around this problem is to reencode file into more vegas-friendly codec that supports 422 or 444 after you get files back from archive.
Warperus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, colorspace, decoder, h264, sony