Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 3rd March 2019, 00:30   #1  |  Link
TomArrow

Importing a DNG image sequence

Any plugin to import a DNG image sequence? I tried ImageSource and ffvideosource, and both actually load an image, but they only load some very low resolution image, my best guess is that it's the embedded thumbnail of the DNG.

What can I do?
TomArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:02   #2  |  Link
Groucho2004

Give this a whirl:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=135928
Old 3rd March 2019, 03:34   #3  |  Link
TomArrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Thanks, I tried this, but it fails with an exception: Avisynth open failure: ImmaRead: couldn't open picture file: severity=1ef,reason=RegistryKeyLookupFailed 'CoderModulesPath' @ error/module.c/GetMagickModulePath/670, decription = (null)

With that said, it only seems to support 8 bits per channel, which makes it unfortunately useless for me, because the dng files I have have very low signal intensity and thus at 8 bit the values would probably all fluctuate around 1-10, so basically be almost black and with unacceptably strong banding.
Old 4th March 2019, 04:23   #4  |  Link
ifb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomArrow View Post
Any plugin to import a DNG image sequence? I tried ImageSource and ffvideosource, and both actually load an image, but they only load some very low resolution image, my best guess is that it's the embedded thumbnail of the DNG.

What can I do?
DNG is just TIFF with extra metadata tags. You'll want to demosaic (debayer) the raw image data first. You can use RawTherapee, Adobe Camera Raw, dcraw, darktable, etc. to batch convert the entire sequence to TIFF/PNG/JPG/whatever. Then you can open that sequence with your plugin of choice.

Note that there is also CinemaDNG, which is DNG with yet more tags. You can edit such sequences directly with Resolve (it does the demosaic on the fly).
ifb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 16:49   #5  |  Link
TomArrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifb View Post
DNG is just TIFF with extra metadata tags. You'll want to demosaic (debayer) the raw image data first. You can use RawTherapee, Adobe Camera Raw, dcraw, darktable, etc. to batch convert the entire sequence to TIFF/PNG/JPG/whatever. Then you can open that sequence with your plugin of choice.

Note that there is also CinemaDNG, which is DNG with yet more tags. You can edit such sequences directly with Resolve (it does the demosaic on the fly).
Thanks. I am aware of those options. But we're talking about really long sequences. Hundreds of thousands of dng files, each around 10 MB. So basically around 2 TB of data. As demosaiced 16-bit tiffs, they use more than twice that amount, which makes that approach unfortunately impossible due to lack of hard drive space available. I need a way to import them directly.

Resolve is a possibility, but it doesn't quite allow me to do all the kinds of adjustments I want to make.