Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:20   #1  |  Link
buzzby

Issues with AC3 to AAC conversion for AppleTV what tool to use

Hi,

A bit of background on what I am doing. I have bought one of the new AppleTV's and its great, but of course requires all video content to be in itunes and therefore MP4 files H.264 video and AAC audio. As i already have a large collection of film and television on my system I have been writing a command line tool to convert MKV or AVI's to MP4's. All I am really doing is wrapping up a bunch of command line tools into an automated process (extract, encode (if needed), create mp4, tag files from TVrage, move to correct file location on HDD and add file to itunes). AVI's are easy as I pass them through the handbrake CLI with a preset i'm happy with (the appleTV one).

MKV files are causing me more of a problem as i don't need to re-encode the video (yay) but i have to do something with the AC3 audio.

Having looked on here and googled i have had a couple of solution/ I managed to find a build of FFMEG that would do the AAC audio but the files sizes were MUCH smaller that the AC3 so i imagine i'm losing a lot of quality. I have tried Besweet but cannot get it to encode ac3 to aac, i found eac3to and thought this answered all my questions but every so often it fails, if i try the encode again it works without issue. It seems to be that if my machine is doing anything else while the audio is being encoded then it will fail.
I have downloaded the NeroAacEnc.exe for eac3to to use but everytime i run it it still starts with "The Nero decoder doesn't seem to work, will use libav instead."
I have got a copy of Nero 7.10 professional but cannot find the required DLL's anywere in the install directory.

I found a lot of posts talking about aac.dll from Nero, but cannot find it in the install

So to the root of my problem.
I am looking for a command line tool that will convert any given AC3 file (2.0 or 5.1) into an AAC equivalent with as little quality loss as possible. I have been going round and round reading posts and getting no where.

buzzby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, ac3, encode, remux