Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd May 2012, 20:20   #1  |  Link
faam

If you are a user of KMPlayer BE VERY CAREFUL!!

KMPlayer unfortionately is logging your activity in the playlist when you open any file in the playlist it send info to pandoratv or korean ip 61.9.111.180 or something like that ,creat a rule in your firewall to prevent kmplayer from accessing internet and watch the results , AND they mentioned that in thier privacy policy that they may collect data from user computer !!!

PLEASE tell every one about this until kmplayer owner change thier behavior

YOURS
faam
faam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 13:19   #2  |  Link
SuLyMaN

wow....Are you sure the IP is correct? How you tested it? Good thing I do not have the latest version. Creepy.
SuLyMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 19:31   #3  |  Link
pekos

i uninstaled
thanx
ur right
pekos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 00:50   #4  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

KMP is full of fail anyway, let it die.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 17:21   #5  |  Link
Šabović Adis

Quote:
Originally Posted by faam View Post
KMPlayer unfortionately is logging your activity in the playlist when you open any file in the playlist it send info to pandoratv or korean ip 61.9.111.180 or something like that ,creat a rule in your firewall to prevent kmplayer from accessing internet and watch the results , AND they mentioned that in thier privacy policy that they may collect data from user computer !!!

PLEASE tell every one about this until kmplayer owner change thier behavior

YOURS
faam
I feel you, Bro! But who cares if they know what I am doing on my PC? Guess what, I too know what I am doing on my PC. Can you imagine that!Peace!

Last edited by Guest; 6th June 2012 at 17:55. Reason: rule 4
Šabović Adis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 15:46   #6  |  Link
petran79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Šabović Adis View Post
I feel you, Bro! But who cares if they know what I am doing on my PC? Guess what, I too know what I am doing on my PC. Can you imagine that!Peace!
but do you know what they are doing on their pcs? Not fair!
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 15:55   #7  |  Link
Šabović Adis

Quote:
Originally Posted by petran79 View Post
but do you know what they are doing on their pcs? Not fair!
They're peekin'. Right?! And again:Who gives a [] They're not the first paparazzos in my life I don't give a [] about! Don't panic!

Saludos i pozdrav and greetings to petran79 from Sarajevo!

Last edited by Guest; 7th June 2012 at 17:00. Reason: rule 4: no profanity
Old 7th June 2012, 16:59   #8  |  Link

@Šabović Adis

Please stop using profanity, per forum rule 4. Thank you.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 17:22   #9  |  Link
Šabović Adis

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
@Šabović Adis

Please stop using profanity, per forum rule 4. Thank you.
You're alert too? Will do!

Peace!
Old 12th June 2012, 02:47   #10  |  Link
KMPmediaLSM

Hi all,

As a employee of KMPmedia, official distributor of kmplayer, our statement on this is as follows from our revised user agreement

"8. Data Collection and Use of Other Materials

As a part of support services of the Software, the Company may collect and use data from the Users’ PC. The collected data will be limited to the software’s version, installation, execution and
removal information."

http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22118

Hopefully that helps.
KMPmediaLSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 05:43   #11  |  Link

It doesn't help.

What is "execution information"? Nobody wants you to have that information. Why are you collecting it?
Old 12th June 2012, 09:54   #12  |  Link
KMPmediaLSM

Execution information would be when program is started. We are collecting it for statistics to know where/when users are starting the program, that we may use it for actually further developing the program, in a way like to show other companies that we have a product which is used by many users in this world, so that we may partner with them to further enhance kmplayer.
Old 12th June 2012, 13:48   #13  |  Link

Then your user agreement is disingenuous, because you only say the information is "As a part of support services of the Software".
Old 13th June 2012, 00:25   #14  |  Link
KMPmediaLSM

That seems to be right, it is as part of the support services to make kmplayer better.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:39   #15  |  Link
Brother John
(schein)heilig

That statement is wrong in many many ways.
  • It is unclear what “support services” means. “Use” is equally unclear. Which specific purposes is the data used for? Note espcially that “make kmplayer better” is not specific at all. Also, who exactly has or can gain access to the data?
  • What does “may collect” mean. Under what circumstances do you collect. How often? How long do you keep the data?
  • In addition to neuron2’s question: “Data” is completely unclear. The very general terms “version, installation, execution and removal information” hardly specifiy anything. Exactly what data do you collect?
  • How is the data transmitted and stored? What measures are in place to prevent unathorised access/use? At least for “where/when users are starting the program” we are talking about personal information, so security is especially important.
  • How can I disable the data collection?
Those are only the questions that pop into my mind immediately. There may be more. In its current form your statement basically says: “We may collect any information at any time and do anything we like with it.” That may be legal (IANAL) but it is carte blanche and user unfriendly in the extreme. I’m not a KMPlayer user at the moment and those kind of terms actively discourage me from ever even trying the software.

When lost in BeSweet's options, have a look at the Commandline Reference.
DVD nach MPEG-4 klappt nicht? Verzweifelt? Auf zum Encodingwissen!
Brother John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 17:39   #16  |  Link
Carpo

if people are that worried they can block it in their firewalls or just add the ip's to the host file and point it to 127.0.0.1 - that way they can use the player and not have to worry about it phoning home, although the explanations given for it's reason seem shady at best to me
Old 16th June 2012, 06:34   #17  |  Link
Reith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
if people are that worried they can block it in their firewalls or just add the ip's to the host file and point it to 127.0.0.1 - that way they can use the player and not have to worry about it phoning home, although the explanations given for it's reason seem shady at best to me
It shouldn't be the user's responsibility to do these things just because they don't want a program sending data about their usage habits. If the developers aren't honest and forthcoming about the whole process (preferably making it an opt-in setting instead of forcing it on everyone) there's no reason to use it over one of the many, many other programs for video playback that wouldn't do this kind of thing.

And if they're not going to make it opt-in (let's be realistic, they probably won't), they need to at the very least be very specific and detailed about what kind of information is collected, what safeguards they have in place against abusing it/violating their users' privacy, and exactly what they intend to use it for.

I would never use KMPlayer in the first place as I'm happy with MPC-HC, but the developer's replies in this topic aren't exactly doing a lot to allay my suspicions.
Reith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 23:53   #18  |  Link
KMPmediaLSM

I will try to get a better answer from the developer about this as soon as I can, hopefully it will clear things up more.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:35   #19  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPmediaLSM View Post
I will try to get a better answer from the developer about this as soon as I can, hopefully it will clear things up more.
Any progress on that?
Old 28th June 2012, 15:12   #20  |  Link
KMPmediaLSM

The developers have read this thread and have told me that it seems no matter what they say, that this thread will always be against kmplayer, so they have nothing more to say at this point.