Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 20th October 2010, 19:01   #1  |  Link
camj1970

Episodic BD Question

I thoroughly love this program. It makes it possible for me to back up my blu-ray discs to my HTPC as I backed up my DVD's. I have a large collection of TV shows on DVD which I used DVD-Shrink to separate out each episode into it's own folder.
As TV shows are being released on Blu-Ray I would like to do the same thing.
How would I do something similar with BD-Rebuilder?
camj1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 23:53   #2  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by camj1970 View Post
I thoroughly love this program. It makes it possible for me to back up my blu-ray discs to my HTPC as I backed up my DVD's. I have a large collection of TV shows on DVD which I used DVD-Shrink to separate out each episode into it's own folder.
As TV shows are being released on Blu-Ray I would like to do the same thing.
How would I do something similar with BD-Rebuilder?
Pretty easily, actually. Each episode has it's own playlist. All you have to do is select movie-only, then choose the playlist that is associated with each episode one at a time and encode. I do it all the time, putting each episode on a single BD-5.
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:02   #3  |  Link
camj1970

Thanks so much. Sorry for the ignorance. I appreciate all your work, GREAT JOB!!!!!
camj1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 16:19   #4  |  Link
illuminatori

Hello jdobbs and thank you for a cracking program!!

Similar type of question.

I am trying to back up my "The Pacific" blu-ray box set which has 2 episodes on each disc. 5 discs - 10 episodes in total (disc 6 being extras).

Each disc is approx 40GB each with the two episodes being about 11GB each-For some reason there are two of each episode on each disc?

Is there a way to select two movie only streams when using alternate movie stream?

So i would end up with a bd25 with 2 episodes on it and limited (if any) compression.

Thanks.
illuminatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 16:30   #5  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatori View Post
Hello jdobbs and thank you for a cracking program!!

Similar type of question.

I am trying to back up my "The Pacific" blu-ray box set which has 2 episodes on each disc. 5 discs - 10 episodes in total (disc 6 being extras).

Each disc is approx 40GB each with the two episodes being about 11GB each-For some reason there are two of each episode on each disc?

Is there a way to select two movie only streams when using alternate movie stream?

So i would end up with a bd25 with 2 episodes on it and limited (if any) compression.

Thanks.
Here's how I do it: Select one playlist (first episode) and add it to the batch queue, select the other one and do the same. Then run in batch mode. At the end you will have two alternate output files, each containing one episode.

I'm a little confused by your last statement, though, as alternate output doesn't write to BD format. It's either MP4 or MKV.

Last edited by jdobbs; 5th November 2010 at 16:33.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 18:34   #6  |  Link
illuminatori

Sorry my mistake should have read as "Other Movie-Only Playlist"

Thanks for your reply that makes sense to me.
illuminatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 20:21   #7  |  Link
JJB

I believe what he is asking for is to put multiple episodes on one BD-R without extras or menus and will play each episode one after the other.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 19:46   #8  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatori View Post
Sorry my mistake should have read as "Other Movie-Only Playlist"

Thanks for your reply that makes sense to me.
The hard part is determining what is and is not a series disc. I could end up creating a disc with, for example, two versions of a movie -- or a movie and all it's extras without a menu. There just isn't a way to tell a "series disc" from anything else.

I'm thinking about creating an output format that keeps everything but creates a simple menu for selecting what you want to watch. It'd be for those of us who want to keep previews, etc, but hate that ridiculous wait while the disc is loading. Unfortunately, though, it's not as easy as it sounds.

Last edited by jdobbs; 6th November 2010 at 19:51.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:03   #9  |  Link
tapidlittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Here's how I do it: Select one playlist (first episode) and add it to the batch queue, select the other one and do the same. Then run in batch mode. At the end you will have two alternate output files, each containing one episode.

I'm a little confused by your last statement, though, as alternate output doesn't write to BD format. It's either MP4 or MKV.

JDobbs, I don't follow you on this one! I have the same issue with the Pacific, I want to have both episodes onto a BD-25, no menus, episode 1 will play then episode 2.

I don't understand having 2 different outputs, how can I burn a BD-R like that?

thanks.
tapidlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:09   #10  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapidlittle View Post
JDobbs, I don't follow you on this one! I have the same issue with the Pacific, I want to have both episodes onto a BD-25, no menus, episode 1 will play then episode 2.

I don't understand having 2 different outputs, how can I burn a BD-R like that?

thanks.
You don't. Alternate output doesn't target BD -- it normally outputs to DVD, MP4 (e.g. iPOD), or MKV.

If you're doing an episodic disc and want it on BD -- you really should do a full backup.
Old 2nd December 2010, 21:33   #11  |  Link
tapidlittle

Quote:
You don't. Alternate output doesn't target BD -- it normally outputs to DVD, MP4 (e.g. iPOD), or MKV.

If you're doing an episodic disc and want it on BD -- you really should do a full backup.
Ok so as for now there is no way to do that on a BD-25?
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:28   #12  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Ok so as for now there is no way to do that on a BD-25?
Well, there are external methods. For instance you could run the disc through multiAVCHD (using normal, not reauthoring mode) and it will create a very simple disc containing all the episodes. You can then run that output through BD-RB...

I've done it myself, especially with DVDs I'm converting to BD-25 (I put an entire season of "Saturday Night Live" on a single BD). But... since that is preprocessing, I wouldn't be able to support any bug reports.
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:52   #13  |  Link
tapidlittle

Quote:
Well, there are external methods. For instance you could run the disc through multiAVCHD (using normal, not reauthoring mode) and it will create a very simple disc containing all the episodes. You can then run that output through BD-RB...

I've done it myself, especially with DVDs I'm converting to BD-25 (I put an entire season of "Saturday Night Live" on a single BD). But... since that is preprocessing, I wouldn't be able to support any bug reports.
thanks, I will try that.
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:51   #14  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
thanks, I will try that.
Cool. I've really come to appreciate multiAVCHD lately. DeanK did a great job with it.
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:53   #15  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Cool. I've really come to appreciate multiAVCHD lately. DeanK did a great job with it.
I have to agree! There are some movies that I only want a movie only backup of, but like the look of the intro motion menu. So after using BD-RB to make a movie only backup, I then input that into multiAVCHD, import the menu .m2ts from the original Blu-ray, and set up my buttons, let multiAVCHD create a setup and chapters page, and when finished I have a movie only with a motion menu. Very cool!

I very much appreciate both yours and deank's programs. to you both!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 03:22   #16  |  Link
tapidlittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
I have to agree! There are some movies that I only want a movie only backup of, but like the look of the intro motion menu. So after using BD-RB to make a movie only backup, I then input that into multiAVCHD, import the menu .m2ts from the original Blu-ray, and set up my buttons, let multiAVCHD create a setup and chapters page, and when finished I have a movie only with a motion menu. Very cool!

I very much appreciate both yours and deank's programs. to you both!
Is there a guide on how to keep only the menu and the main movie, I have tried Multi AVCHD and I'm completely lost!
Old 4th December 2010, 18:06   #17  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Yup its called ClownBD and you can get it here http://clownbd.techxt.com/
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bd-rebuilder, tv blu-ray