Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 19th January 2013, 19:11   #1  |  Link
njahnke

c/c++-based deinterlacers for game console video

i'm writing a cross-platform (mac/windows/linux) tool in qt c++ for transcoding video from various video game console sources to speed demos archive's quality presets. this is a simple "idiot proof" tool. for e.g. ntsc, i need to support 480i input and deinterlace to 59.94 fps progressive. the problem is that most good deinterlacers used nowadays seem to be avisynth-based, and obviously there is no direct equivalent for mac/linux of avisynth.

i noticed that there are some deinterlacers available in avidemux ported from mplayer/mencoder, e.g. tdeint and mcDeinterlace, which are independent of avisynth. i could use one of those in my tool (it is gpl). but tdeint at least is quite old, so i am wondering whether there is a newer deinterlacer that does not rely on avisynth. if it matters, the input is from video game consoles (e.g. ps2, gamecube, xbox, dreamcast). speed is not really an issue. i am looking for fewest artifacts only. thanks!

Last edited by njahnke; 19th January 2013 at 20:20. Reason: post title too vague
njahnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 19:59   #2  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

You are not allowed to ask what's best
http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm

Anyway, another deinterlacer to consider would be Yadif. I think it origins from MPlayer, but has been ported to Avisynth, Avidemux, ffdshow and VirtualDub. Quality is not on par with QTGMC, but still pretty much okay (and it's quite fast!).

Furthermore with VapourSynth there now is an alternative to Avisynth that works cross-platform. Various Avisynth plug-in's have already been ported over...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th January 2013 at 20:02.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 20:18   #3  |  Link
njahnke

my bad, i should probably rephrase as "what deinterlacers are people using outside of avisynth for video game console video?". thanks for the info; i will look into vapoursynth deinterlacers.
njahnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 20:19   #4  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Feel free to edit your post and fix the title

Tags
c++, deinterlacing