Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th June 2014, 15:19   #21  |  Link
huhn

254 i guess. i don't use this feature so not sure.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 00:06   #22  |  Link
GCRaistlin

I have an issue with Gamma calibration test. I have adjusted my monitor for daylight environment - bars blend at the right values, sharpness test gives the completely blended rectangle, all is fine. Then I tried to adjust my monitor for lamplight environment - I have changed R, G, B monitor settings, then adjusted gamma curves. Bars blend at the right values again - but sharpness test gives the rectangle with visible circle inside. That's not good. By adjusting gamma curves I have achieved the completely blended rectangle but now 10% green bar blend at 1.8 instead of 2.17 and 10% gray bar blend at 2.1 instead of 2.17.
So now I should choose between good look of sharpness test and good look of gamma calibration test. The gamma calibration test description says that 10% isn't very important but we always want best, not just good. What could be the reason of the issue? Wrong R, G, B values I believe 'cause I haven't changed anything else. So actually I have 3 choices: two ones I wrote above and non-ideally RGB for lamplight. So what to choose? Or maybe is there a soft test that will help me to change R, G, B correctly?

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 01:45   #23  |  Link
huhn

you can get "best" with a calibration like this it's totally impossible to get a good picture you need a gut device plus a colorimeter. else colors gamma and the rest are never perfect.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 09:03   #24  |  Link
GCRaistlin

huhn, that's understood, but I'm talking about "best with what we have for now". So my question is simple - what is more important in my case: good-looking Gamma calibration test (bar blend at the right values), good-looking Sharpness test (the circle blends with the rectangle), or correct RGB monitor values? 'Cause I'm able to get only any 2 of 3 at the same time.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 10th June 2014, 11:07   #25  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Most monitors just can't be calibrated completely, even to sRGB, let alone to multiple targets or wider gamut. You're lucky you can get close enough to eyeball it as good in one viewing condition, so you might have to stick with that or something close. If your monitor doesn't have multiple user presets for multiple viewing conditions, it's way more trouble than it's worth to constantly change them back and forth; I just picked my usual (evening time) and stuck with it.

Ultimately, only you can say what's actually most important, but you're already 90% there or more, and the more tuning you do the less payoff is left. Getting 2 of 3 right and the third close is fantastic, given the dismal state of color on most monitors.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 12:27   #26  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
If your monitor doesn't have multiple user presets for multiple viewing conditions, it's way more trouble than it's worth to constantly change them back and forth; I just picked my usual (evening time) and stuck with it.
That's just the point that the usual conditions for me is lamplight while I've achieved best results for daylight. And no, my monitor doesn't really support multiple presets (to be precise, it does but RGB values aren't included to presets).
So am I right that the reason of my non-ideal adjusting for lamplight is non-ideal RGB monitor settings, not the fundamental impossibility of the ideal adjusting - 'cause for daylight I've found settings that are closer to the ideal?

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 10th June 2014, 21:35   #27  |  Link
GCRaistlin

I've made another attempt and finally got 3 of 3 for the lamplight!

Magically yours
Raistlin