Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 6th September 2021, 20:04   #41  |  Link
hello_hello

Damn.... always something.
I broke the Blur and VBlur arguments. The link for the fixed version is in the opening post and dated 2021-09-07.

Last edited by hello_hello; 6th September 2021 at 23:26.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2021, 23:26   #42  |  Link
hello_hello

I've fixed the blending for StaticFrosty borders when either of the feathering options are enabled. They're supposed to be identical by default, but with feathering enabled they weren't. I haven't changed the date again because the new version has only been was only uploaded for about an hour. The new version is still dated 2021-09-07.
Old 7th September 2021, 06:13   #43  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Ah ok, I'll update it again then.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 19:55   #44  |  Link
hello_hello

And another update. Obviously at this point it's primarily to annoy FranceBB.

This version should function the same as previous versions when adding the original FrostyBorders, but I've changed and/or consolidated some argument names and/or argument types to clean up what was becoming a bit of a mess. The help file has been updated.

FranceBB, I've added a new border type that might interest you. It's similar to the borders broadcasters like to add to cell-phone footage. The borders are cut from the video but they're enlarged and cropped as required rather than stretched. See the Clone=3 pic in the opening post.

The new version is dated 2021-10-11 and the link is in the opening post.
Old 10th December 2021, 16:35   #45  |  Link
hello_hello

FrostyBorders was producing an error when feathering was enabled for the original frosty borders.
That's fixed and there's a new version dated 2021-12-09 in the opening post.
Old 29th December 2021, 04:25   #46  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Hi, its me again

after a while i came back to use this nice script..
just got one quick question, cause i forgot what i did the last time.

how can i make the "noise" finer? it looks to raw if you know what i mean^^

im talking about the dithering/noise in the frosty border.

hope everything is well and you all had a nice Christmas

greetings
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 03:54   #47  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
im talking about the dithering/noise in the frosty border.
Hi.

I think you're after the Texture argument. It's the amount of grain added by AddGrainC.
It can be anywhere from Texture=0 to whatever the limit is for AddGrainC (it normally requires a small amount to hide any banding the dithering after blurring doesn't hide).

Texture can also have a negative value, and the amount of grain is increased or decreased according to the resolution, the hope being it'll have roughly the same look regardless of the resolution. A positive value for Texture is the same as the AddGrainC "var" argument.
Texture=-5 doesn't necessarily correspond to Texture=5, as for a negative value it's adjusted according to the resolution, but the help file explains how it works.

Last edited by hello_hello; 30th December 2021 at 03:59.
Old 9th July 2022, 02:32   #48  |  Link
hello_hello

There's a link for a new version of FrostyBorders dated 2022-07-08 in the opening post.

Added the ability to crop, so for an anamorphic source, you can specify the original display aspect ratio before cropping, rather than have to crop prior to FrostyBorders and calculate the new DAR yourself.

FrostyBorders(960,540, 6,4,-8,-2, InDAR=4.0/3.0)

The default texture applied to the borders has a fixed value now, rather than being increased or decreased according to the resolution of the video as it was previously..
Old 10th July 2022, 21:44   #49  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Thanks for the new version.
Old 25th September 2022, 07:56   #50  |  Link
hello_hello

There's new version of FrostyBorders dated 2022-09-23 in the opening post. I think the only difference is a little change to what's displayed when Info=true, but I updated it ages ago and I can't actually remember. I'm sure there's no functionality changes though....
Old 2nd June 2023, 05:05   #51  |  Link
hello_hello

There's a link to a new version of FrostyBorders dated 2023-06-02 in the opening post.

- Added a StaticT argument for changing the texture of FrostyBorders to non-static (grain). The default is StaticT=true, the same as for previous versions (grain is added as a static texture). StaticT=false only works for non-static borders, as static borders always have a static texture.

- Fixed an error when neo_f3kdb was specified for adding border texture (GPlugin=2) instead of AddGrainC.

- Fixed an error when no output width/height were specified, or when FrostyBorders was cropping and/or resizing without needing to add borders.
Old 25th September 2023, 16:03   #52  |  Link
hello_hello

There's a link to a new version of FrostyBorders dated 2023-09-25 in the opening post.

- There's now a native VapourSynth version of the FrostyBorders function.

- Support for resizing based on a sample aspect ratio in frame properties has been added to both versions.

- A CropDAR argument has been added (Cropping Display Aspect Ratio).

- A TCRatio argument has been added (Top Cropping Ratio).

CropDAR can be used to ensure the picture is cropped to a certain DAR to minimize the size of any borders being added.
When CropDAR is causing the video height to be cropped, TCRatio determines how much of the height cropping is taken from the top in relation to the bottom.
The new CropDAR and TCRatio arguments should make it possible to control the cropping in a way that previously required a separate function (making it easier to add FrostyBorders via ffdshow's Avisynth filter or as a video filter for MPV player (Vapoursynth version).
Old 1st October 2023, 18:03   #53  |  Link
hello_hello

There's a link for a new version dated 2023-10-02 in the opening post.

Hopefully I've stomped on the gremlins that made their way into into the last update.
Old 1st October 2023, 18:09   #54  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Thanks for the new version!
Having it automatically scaling based on the aspect ratio in the frame properties is also a nice addition.
I'm really looking forward to testing it tomorrow!
Old 1st October 2023, 18:20   #55  |  Link
hello_hello

Thanks for the thank you!
Old 5th October 2023, 14:34   #56  |  Link
hello_hello

Avisynth FrostyBorders:
Fixed a "no function named CR_IsEqual" error. It's a helper function and I forgot to change the function name after copying and pasting some syntax from the CropResize script, but if the CropResize function was loaded, there was no error.

The new version is dated 2023-10-06. The VapourSynth version hasn't changed at all, but I changed it's version date too so they're the same.
Old 11th October 2023, 17:45   #57  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I've been busy, but I noticed that you already fixed the issue.

Version 2022-07-08 - works
Version 2023-10-02 - Script error: there is no function named CR_IsEqual

Version 2023-10-06 works

I made a few tests to try out frame properties and they indeed seem to work.

Barsnote in 720x576 with SAR 16:15 (i.e anamorphic 4:3) correctly becomes a 1.33 PB with frosty borders on the left and right:

while forcing the SAR to 64:45 (i.e anamorphic 16:9) makes it correctly just resize it to 1.77 FF without borders:

Code:
LWLibavVideoSource("\\miomnsp7\fs0\clip.dir\BARS_NERO_SD.mxf")

propSet("_SARNum", 64)
propSet("_SARDen", 45)

FrostyBorders(1024, 576, frosty=true)

Very well done.
Moving this to production tonight.
Old 11th October 2023, 19:00   #58  |  Link
hello_hello

Excellent!

By the way, I assume you're not using my CropResize function (because if the new version of CropResize was loaded you wouldn't have experienced that error) but FYI...
CropResize can add the same borders as the standalone FrostyBorders function but it's not restricted to a non-anamorphic output, in case you have the need for an anamorphic output with FrostyBorders at some stage. In fact I've been wondering why I'm still updating FrostyBorders, given CropResize can do the same thing and more. The main difference is CropResize itself doesn't include arguments for configuring the borders. They're configured using a separate function that creates global variables.
Edit: And for some borders, the FrostyBorders function crops the pixels used to create the borders from the source before it's upscaled, or it crops the pixels from the resized video when downscaling, whereas CropResize always takes the pixels from the clip after it's resized, so when upscaling the FrostyBorders function might be a bit faster. Hopefully that makes sense.

Anyway... in case you ever need to do silly stuff that FrostyBorders can't do....

ColorBars()
ConvertToYV12()
Spline36Resize(720,576)
propSet("_SARNum", 16)
propSet("_SARDen", 15)

FrostyB(Feather=32)
iCropResize(720,576, OutDAR=16.0/9.0, Frosty=true)

N = string(propGetAny("_SARNum"))
D = string(propGetAny("_SARDen"))

Subtitle("Frame Properties SAR " + N + ":" + D, align=2)

Last edited by hello_hello; 11th October 2023 at 19:25.
Old 28th October 2023, 22:04   #59  |  Link
hello_hello

New version of FrostyBorders dated 2023-10-28 in the opening post.

The Avisynth version hasn't changed.

Fixed some mistakes in the syntax of the VapourSynth version and added a "FrostyResizeWrappers.py" script containing two resizer wrapper functions. The wrapper functions are examples of how to use a non-native VapourSynth resizer. The FrostyResizeWrappers.py script is not required.

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th October 2023 at 22:09.