Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 21st January 2010, 22:48   #1381  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Will you add support in mkvextract for A_MS/ACM audio?
http://www.crist.com/Temp/pirates2_sample.mkv_0
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:25   #1382  |  Link
Maccara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Oh THAT problem. You guessed right. I've re-built NSIS again with 32k string size. Here's an updated installer
Thank you very much!

Didn't test it yet, but no reason to think it isn't working now (old known issue from 3 rd party component with a known solution ).

A bit annoying issue, though. Luckily I was feeling "unsecure" as I hadn't updated mkvtoolnix for a long time, so I had just backed up the registry keys involved in anticipation.
Old 22nd January 2010, 08:44   #1383  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Will you add support in mkvextract for A_MS/ACM audio?
No, sorry.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 22nd January 2010, 16:57   #1384  |  Link
Snowknight26

The tooltips for Language, Charset and Cue name format under Chapters, Segment UID's under File/segment linking and max. number of files under Splitting don't have any line breaks in it making them get cut off on everything but very high resolution desktops.
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:22   #1385  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Tooltips suck on Windows (from a programmer's point of view). Maybe it's only wxWidget's tooltip implementation, I'm not sure.

I'll fix this, though.

Old 26th January 2010, 03:39   #1386  |  Link
fingershop

easier batch jobs

Hi, I frequently need to remux batches of similarly structured files, in which I'm adding and removing streams, and setting track attributes, all the same way for each file. Adding all these similar files to the job queue is very tedious and error prone, and I had an idea for simplifying this process, a kind of "quick batch" mode.

The way it is now, each queued file must be configured one at a time, for enabled and disabled tracks, and their attributes, like language, default flags, framerates, aspect, etc.

Here's the idea: After configuring and adding the first file to the job queue, mmg would be able to automatically re-use that configuration for all other files added to the job queue. Of course this assumes that all files added will have the same or similarly structured files. This might also assume, when adding in streams, that a certain file naming method is used, so that those stream files could automatically be included.

Near the existing Add button, perhaps there could be a "Batch Add" button or similar, which would add the next file (or an entire folder of files?) to the job queue, automatically applying the same settings to each one it finds.

This would be a huge time saver, and would also keep you from making forgetful mistakes when creating batch jobs.
Old 26th January 2010, 03:56   #1387  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershop View Post
Hi, I frequently need to remux batches of similarly structured files, in which I'm adding and removing streams, and setting track attributes, all the same way for each file. Adding all these similar files to the job queue is very tedious and error prone, and I had an idea for simplifying this process, a kind of "quick batch" mode.

The way it is now, each queued file must be configured one at a time, for enabled and disabled tracks, and their attributes, like language, default flags, framerates, aspect, etc.

Here's the idea: After configuring and adding the first file to the job queue, mmg would be able to automatically re-use that configuration for all other files added to the job queue. Of course this assumes that all files added will have the same or similarly structured files. This might also assume, when adding in streams, that a certain file naming method is used, so that those stream files could automatically be included.

Near the existing Add button, perhaps there could be a "Batch Add" button or similar, which would add the next file (or an entire folder of files?) to the job queue, automatically applying the same settings to each one it finds.

This would be a huge time saver, and would also keep you from making forgetful mistakes when creating batch jobs.
I do this all the time with a DOS batch/command file. Just copy the command line to the clipboard from the UI, paste it into a command file and use the dos-based for command to process each file by feeding it to the for loop.

Below is an example of a batch file I used just today to mux a bunch of episodes from elementry streams to MKV.
Code:
for /f "delims=" %%i in ('dir /b "*.h264"') do "d:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe" -o "d:\\media\\tv\\%%~ni.mkv"  "--forced-track" "0:no" "--default-duration" "0:24000/1001fps" "-d" "0" "-A" "-S" "-T" "--no-global-tags" "--no-chapters" "%%i" "--language" "0:eng" "--forced-track" "0:no" "-a" "0" "-D" "-S" "-T" "--no-global-tags" "--no-chapters" "%%~ni.ac3" "--track-order" "0:0,1:0"
Old 26th January 2010, 04:52   #1388  |  Link
fingershop

Thanks Chumbo, I do use this method already, but its also cumbersome having to create and edit dos batch files each time I want to mux a bunch of files. The idea of simplicity for me is to keep all the configurations happening in the gui, without having to go back and forth to command prompts or such all the time. I appreciate being hands-on, but computers can handle this type of automation so much quicker and easier than doing it manually.

Oh, and you kinda emphasized my point :-)
If the gui made it easier to do this then you wouldn't need to use batch files instead.

Last edited by fingershop; 26th January 2010 at 05:19. Reason: followup
Old 26th January 2010, 08:42   #1389  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
No, sorry. I've answered as to why I won't implement such a thing a couple of times before. The run-down is that in order to make such a thing really useful to a lot of people (instead of only a handfew or even only one: you) it would have to be really, really powerful requiring really, really a lot of work. I don't have that kind of time, nor do I have the motivation to do that as there are several scripting languages (shells like bash, zsh, maybe even the Windows Power Shell; scripting languages like Python, Ruby, Perl, Lua) available on all platforms for power users like yourself that are way more flexible and not that hard to learn.

Old 26th January 2010, 10:25   #1390  |  Link
fangorn

I, for instance, created a bash script using mkvmerge and many others to mux many input containers to MKV, MP4, TS, M2TS. (see avi2mkv from my Sig.)

It is much more convenient (in my eyes at least) than having to load hundreds of files in a oh so powerfull batch processor. (I designed it originally to transfer and markup multiple language TV show episodes in AVI containers to MKV, hence the name.)

It should be runnable in Cygwin under Windows, but I did not try to set it up. The dependencies are named in the script though, if someone wants to try getting it to run. I could even host a package adding all necessary programs to make it run under Cygwin standard installation if somebody would step up and mad it work. As I don't use Windows I am slightly handicaped in this matter. ;-)
Old 27th January 2010, 17:44   #1391  |  Link
Snowknight26

Any chance of having invalid paths be the first step in muxing? Even before, say, FLAC parsing?
Old 28th January 2010, 03:02   #1392  |  Link
fingershop

I'd like to rephrase my request... :-)

After you've configured a file for muxing, it would be handy if mmg would allow you to "replace" that file by choosing another one, while maintaining all configured settings.

Normally, you would click on the file in the Input files list, click the remove button, then click the add button to add another one and configure it.

Instead, you would click on the file in the Input files list, click the "replace" button, and (after manually choosing the replacement file) that's it, this file would be ready for muxing (or queuing) with no re-configuration needed.

I agree that a full automation method would take lots of work to implement. This simpler idea would, I'm guessing, take a much smaller amount work. Functionally, it might be as simple as verifying the replacement file's structure, and changing the file name variables (input and output) that will be used for muxing.

Yes, scripting languages are powerful, but none of them particularly let you choose streams and attributes from a gui, which is the key thing for ease of use.

Last edited by fingershop; 28th January 2010 at 03:04.
Old 28th January 2010, 09:15   #1393  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Any chance of having invalid paths be the first step in muxing? Even before, say, FLAC parsing?
If you want mkvmerge to check if all files named on the command line exist before actually opening and analyzing them then my answer is "no". This would mean quite a lot of changes to the very core of mkvmerge, one area I try to change as little as possible.

However, I can and will get rid of the 'pre-parsing' stage in FLAC's reader soon. It is not necessary if I get rid of the libFLAC dependency at the same time and implement my own FLAC file format parser which is easy enough to do -- mkvmerge only needs to know a few basic parameters about each FLAC frame; the data doesn't have to be decoded.

Old 28th January 2010, 09:17   #1394  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
I'd like to rephrase my request... :-)

After you've configured a file for muxing, it would be handy if mmg would allow you to "replace" that file by choosing another one, while maintaining all configured settings.
I won't implement that either, sorry. I'm not against having such a feature in the first place (so if someone would implement it and provide a patch I'd accept it gladly). I just reserve the right to spend my time on other things

Old 29th January 2010, 12:48   #1395  |  Link
Audionut

Any chance of supporting .ts

I've got a ton i'd like to transfer to .mkv.
Old 29th January 2010, 13:24   #1396  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Not in the near future.

Old 31st January 2010, 07:41   #1397  |  Link
Snowknight26

Is it normal for the form components to be in different locations after muxing? I don't recall this prior to 3.1.0.

Old 31st January 2010, 16:13   #1398  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Is it normal for the form components to be in different locations after muxing? I don't recall this prior to 3.1.0.
Hmm. It's possible that a carriage return has been added to the end of the "everything went fine" sentence by accident. It's not intentional, no. Maybe it also has something to do with the change to the 'Cancel' button's label to 'Open Folder'. I'll look into it one of these days.

Old 1st February 2010, 09:14   #1399  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Hmm. It's possible that a carriage return has been added to the end of the "everything went fine" sentence by accident.
That carriage return has been present for ever. However, it has only been causing a re-layout of the dialog after the feature to change the 'cancel' button to 'open folder' had been added recently.

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-212-setup.exe

Old 2nd February 2010, 08:29   #1400  |  Link
whatever-ever

Ok here goes...

I've tried for 5 days to compile mkvtoolnix (or any part thereof) for windows. I compiled it with no hassle on my ubuntu pc, but for some reason i'm having a lot of trouble compiling with either mingw or cygwin.

All libraries have been compiled under mingw (./configure --prefix=/mingw), except boost, which i'm not sure i've "installed" properly. took a bit of copying and pasting files from here and there to /lib before i could finally get mingw to recognize that i have boost. but it get erros like this (currently only this one):
Quote:
checking for boostlib >= 1.29.0... yes
checking whether the Boost::Regex library is available... yes
configure: error: Could not link against the Boost regex library !
First off, yes that is not the configure file for 3.10, i pasted the above from when i tried to compile 2.5.3 instead. The error is similar for 3.10 (although it's Boost::Filesystem it checks for first, and gives same output as above).

So it's probably my boost library that is foobar-- however, it always reports that the boost libraries exist, so maybe it's something about setting variables that my mingw has trouble with?

Quote:
if test "x$as_val" = x""yes; then :
BOOST_FILESYSTEM_LIB="-l$ax_lib"; link_filesystem="yes"; break
else
link_filesystem="no"
fi

done

fi
if test "x$link_filesystem" != "xyes"; then
as_fn_error "Could not link against $ax_lib !" "$LINENO" 5
I've checked that this is where it reports the "could not link", and as you can see, ax_lib is not set for some reason, but link_filesystem both is and isn't set to yes?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to fix this.

PS: "have you tried building boost?", yes, however not with any luck. i tried so by running bootstrap.sh etc., but it doesn't go so well, http://pastebin.com/f761baf28 (forever paste).

Currently using gcc 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3) and boost 1.41.0. Have also tried with 4.4.1 (which is the same as my ubuntu pc uses). iconv (GNU libiconv 1.13) here, but iconv (EGLIBC) 2.10.1 on the ubuntu pc.

Any hint that can help even the tiniest bit is greatly appreciated!
Closed Thread