Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 7th May 2020, 19:13   #61  |  Link
Groucho2004

feisty, I only just noticed that you moved from CA to RI, how are you handling the temperature difference?
Old 7th May 2020, 19:35   #62  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

I haven't, I changed my location in advance cuz I will begin my graduate study at one of the institutions on college hill, I ain't tellin which one
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2020, 21:36   #63  |  Link
Rumbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
masters are mostly cash-cow programs, go for a PhD program instead if ur interested in grad schools
There is no PhD without a master first in Germany.
Rumbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2020, 22:10   #64  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Cool, a fellow electronics engineer.
Actually, it was supposed to be Computer Science Engineering but when I got there I found out that we had many exams in common with those studying Electrical Engineering. I asked one of the professors why and he said "You see, Computer Science Engineering didn't exist years ago and it was Electrical Engineering" so years passed but some universities are very conservative in their courses and they kept Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Engineering closely bonded together. I had exams on the whole analog electronic part of which the first exam was huge as it covered everything from where physics II left with Induction Motors, Solar Panels etc, then I had the whole Control System part with Bode Plots and an introduction to Digital Electronics, then the whole part about Digital Electronics from the basics up to FPGA. The idea behind that was to teach us how components like CPUs, RAM etc work at a very deep level from an electrical point of view so that we could design a system. The thing is that although I learned many interesting things from linear algebra to multivariable calculus, to fluid dynamics and a lot of electrical engineering stuff, I never learned how to code properly; as a matter of fact, professors were very keen to make us code using programming languages that I'll never use in real life ('cause I'm an encoder) like Verilog and VHDL for hardware-programming or MATLAB for other kind of things. When I enrolled at University in a Computer Science Engineering class I thought things were going to be very different...

Quote:
How old are you, if I may ask?
My age has never been a secret, in fact it's also in my profile here on Doom9. (I'm 26 by the way; I'm probably younger than you think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
masters are mostly cash-cow programs, go for a PhD program instead if ur interested in grad schools
I know but I can't get a PhD without a master degree; Anyway, I've seen the cost of university in the U.S and it's insane... luckily in Europe they cost way less as most of them are public.

Quote:
CA
I've been in California in 2013 and I stayed there for three months, during summer. I was in Claremont, close to LA, in a University Campus where I improved my English a lot. Years later I tried to go back there to work in the U.S but VISA are a nightmare and I only got a student visa which they were willing to renew if I wanted as they said that if I went to university there I had many more chances to get a working visa and eventually a Green Card, however I had no money to pay for my education without working and I didn't really want to get a student loan as I know that some people are still paying their debs years after leaving university, so I flew to the UK ('cause I thought "what's the closest English-speaking country I can move to without a Visa? - thank you EU -") but then I heard of a company that was looking for an encoder in Berlin, I applied and I've got the job, so I moved to Röntgental (which is close to Berlin, but smaller and cheaper). After some time, I got transferred to Sky and "the rest is history".

Last edited by FranceBB; 7th May 2020 at 22:17.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2020, 22:39   #65  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

I hate schooling so I abandoned the idea to go for a PhD.

(Should a real man be coding on a mechanical computer?)
Neo AviSynth+ filters - F3KDB | FFT3D | DFTTest | MiniDeen | Temporal Median
MeteorRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2020, 22:51   #66  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

They had (some years back) the finally completed analytical engine in the sciece museum, London, Kennsington I think.
Apparently it works.

As mechanical a computer as you are likely to find. [The Charlie Babage thiing]

EDIT:
Whatever happened to the old mechanical 'sliderule' calculator type thing, where you stuck pegs in holes [or similar]
and turned a handle and got an answer, handheld devices, probably not too disimilar to the Babage thiing.
[I think I had one as a child, or at least seen one]

EDIT: "or similar", actually a metal slide thing, rather than peg, I think.

EDIT:
I remembered. My auntie [bout 18 months older than me] had one of these when I was about 10 YO.
Put the pen like nib in saw tooth slider thing, and dial in the numbers.
Pull UP/OUT, the cross bar whatsit on top of device, and hey presto, the answer.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th May 2020 at 08:40.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2020, 08:01   #67  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I remember how I entertained my college class by tracing the self-modifying code of the EICAR test virus in DEBUG.COM ... okay. Back to AviSynth+ please?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2020, 09:47   #68  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Real men code AVS+ plugins.

So go back to work.
Old 8th May 2020, 11:17   #69  |  Link
Dogway

Quote:
Originally Posted by real.finder View Post
and there are some filters seems has no VS ports

1 - VariableBlur (it was planed by tp7)
2 - frfun7 (useful for Dot Crawl Removal, used in DDComb)
3 - GradFun2db (maybe it can be replaced with f3kdb?)
4 - LGhost
Fortunately recently some of the plugins I used more frequently were updated (SSIM, SubtitleEx, AvsInpaint), still miss a few of them, maybe you can add them to a spreadsheet:
JpegSource
SoundOut
VScope

Last edited by Dogway; 9th May 2020 at 01:18.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 21:33   #70  |  Link
pinterf

Things that happened lately.

AviSynth+

Last week I have successfully applied the 'old' type+ and type* syntax on _named_ array function definitions. e.g. [colors]f+
It was not straightforward because there are user defined functions, function objects, parameter type and name matching logic. So it was much harder task than I have anticipated.
Future plugins using this parameter syntax will fail to load on older Avisynth hosts, but if someone would use array and this syntax then they must use AddFunction dynamically.

There are problems with those CPP v2.5 'baked code' interface plugins which are using "Invoke", latest example was GRunT for avs 2.58. I was trying to find a solution if providing a special ancient ScriptEnvironment for them is feasible. But I failed, way too difficult and messes up the internals of the current core.

I was experimenting with putting 1D and 2D lut into the core - using Expr - but unfortunately it won't be a couple of hours' work. I postponed the project.

Still considering on what other things would be nice to appear in the extended IScriptEnvironment but I think I'll make a feature freeze on it soon. Not to mention of documenting all new features.

Plugins

TDeint.
You know how angry I am at all 2.5 plugins. So I met TDeint again some weeks ago.
TDeint did not have a proper stable x64 port and it was a 2.5 CPP plugin. I started to work on it and sorry, I cannot stop the project now. I'm getting into deeper and deeper in the modifications which are all have to be done to have a proper source again.
TDeint and TIVTC have many-many common parts in source, which are not easy to detect. Piles of hundred line copy pastes with a minor difference (a part of them is because there existed no templates in C++ at that time tritical authored it), thousand lines of inline hand optimized asm code without C.

I worked many labour-weeks on TIVTC three years ago and had fed up a bit for this reason It's a never-ending story.
Three years ago I was optimistic and put up the actual TDeint on github together with TIVTC (iin case of I feel like working on it) but I didn't touch it.
Until last week.

Haha, you mentioned a week ago that TDeint has no high bit depth port? It didn't even support Avisynth 2.6 basic colorspaces. So all these issues (plus a ping on github) forced me to look at it again.
Lately YV16-YV24-YV411 was added. Today - not released but you can see it on git - I have finished the 10-16 bit port plus greyscale. I'm seeing the end of the tunnel and turned to TIVTC again and I think I won't stop until it's ready 16 bits.

This is a much better entertainment then solving crossword puzzles isn't it, but is a bit time consuming. RescueMyTime reported 300+ hours for the last three months (plus my official work), I'm so glad that I'm saving two hours per day on commute thanks to this stupid covid.

(Out of couriosity, do other developers watch films, videos or read books?

Nevertheless I'm just moaning So what about chikuzen's plugins (which have to be rebuilt for next Avs+?) Will they be maintained in the future by him? If not, what is order of their importance?
pinterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 21:42   #71  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinterf View Post
Nevertheless I'm just moaning So what about chikuzen's plugins (which have to be rebuilt for next Avs+?) Will they be maintained in the future by him? If not, what is order of their importance?
he didn't show up for days so I don't think he will back soon

https://github.com/chikuzen/TMM2 since you work on TDeint

https://github.com/chikuzen/MPEG2DecPlus (this one also need HBD deblock update from https://github.com/mysteryx93/Avisynth-Deblock)

https://github.com/chikuzen/yadifmod2

https://github.com/chikuzen/DCTFilter

https://github.com/chikuzen/TEMmod

https://github.com/chikuzen/TCannyMod (I have fork for names changes https://github.com/realfinder/TCannyMod)

https://github.com/chikuzen/CombMask (also I have fork for names changes https://github.com/realfinder/CombMask)

https://github.com/chikuzen/ReduceFlicker

https://github.com/chikuzen/PlanarTools
Old 12th May 2020, 23:00   #72  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
RescueMyTime reported 300+ hours for the last three months (plus my official work), I'm so glad that I'm saving two hours per day on commute thanks to this stupid covid.

(Out of couriosity, do other developers watch films, videos or read books?)

First of all, thank you for all the time you spent on Avisynth for this community.
If it wasn't for you we would have been in a way worse situation right now.
If Avisynth is used across a wide range of users (both individuals and companies) today is thanks to all the developers but in particular thanks to you.
You not only kept the core, the frameserver itself, updated, but you also modernized a lot of plugins.
And... sure, you could have just been sitting on the couch watching TV all day like many people are doing during this pandemic, but thanks God you didn't; instead, you spent a lot of hours of your own spare time on Avisynth and we're really thanking you for this.
Every evening, in the UK, people are clapping for healthcare workers and their efforts; well, Ferenc, Doom9 is clapping for you.
Thank you for everything you've done.
Keep up the good work,
Frank.

Last edited by FranceBB; 12th May 2020 at 23:03.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 01:17   #73  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
First of all, thank you for all the time you spent on Avisynth for this community.
If Avisynth is used across a wide range of users (both individuals and companies) today is thanks to all the developers but in particular thanks to you.
And... sure, you could have just been sitting on the couch watching TV all day like many people are doing during this pandemic, but thanks God you didn't
You have to make up your mind, either thank Ferenc or your imaginary friend.
Old 13th May 2020, 03:05   #74  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

Chikuzen is active on twitter though. But haven't seen him talking on slack or here.

https://twitter.com/AviSynthPlus/sta...500007424?s=19
Neo AviSynth+ filters - F3KDB | FFT3D | DFTTest | MiniDeen | Temporal Median

Last edited by MeteorRain; 13th May 2020 at 03:16.
MeteorRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 03:15   #75  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

I'm running into some strange colorspace/bitdepth conversion issues in AviSynth+ 3.5 r3106.

For example, this script works fine, returns RGB64:
Code:
ColorBars(1920,1080, "YV12")
ConvertBits(16)
ConvertToRGB64(matrix="Rec709")
This script also works fine, also returns RGB64:
Code:
ConvertToRGB64(matrix="Rec709", chromaresample="spline36")
However, this script throws a "ConvertToRGB: ChromePlacement and ChromeResample options are not supported" error:
Code:
ConvertBits(16)
ConvertToRGB64(matrix="Rec709", chromaresample="spline36")
I don't see why it wouldn't be supported though - U and V in YUV420P16 are quarter resolution, so chroma would need to be resampled to produce RGB64.

Finally, this script crashes both VirtualDub2 and FFmpeg:
Code:
ConvertToRGB64(matrix="Rec709")
ConvertBits(8, dither=1)
Bugs or user error?
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 05:43   #76  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
So what about chikuzen's plugins (which have to be rebuilt for next Avs+?) Will they be maintained in the future by him? If not, what is order of their importance?
asd posted some updated plugins with the v8 interface on the AviSynth+ x64 plugins page on the wiki:
  • (Added CombMask v8 interface)
  • (Added DCTFilter v8 interface)
  • (Added RawSourcePlus with fixed 10/12/14-bit input, v8 interface)
  • (Added ReduceFlicker v8 interface)
  • (Added TMM2 v8 interface)

I would be nice to have chikuzen's updated plugins on GitHub, much more reliable then random download links as they are now. Also, some of the plugins have additional commits and there was never a formal release.
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 07:51   #77  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
asd posted some updated plugins with the v8 interface on the AviSynth+ x64 plugins page on the wiki:
  • (Added CombMask v8 interface)
  • (Added DCTFilter v8 interface)
  • (Added RawSourcePlus with fixed 10/12/14-bit input, v8 interface)
  • (Added ReduceFlicker v8 interface)
  • (Added TMM2 v8 interface)

I would be nice to have chikuzen's updated plugins on GitHub, much more reliable then random download links as they are now. Also, some of the plugins have additional commits and there was never a formal release.
I wonder if they are simply recompiled or adaptively using the frame-property preserving NewVideoFrameP as well. So are they are good only for the new v8 or can work with any former avs versions?

Yes, git is a must have. On one hand now we have to download them and make manual source-code comparison to see what has been changed.

When they are getting new features (such as 10+ bits) in the future the sources have to be put back to git. And because of the credits and source history they have to be forked from the original repository and the new developer must either forget or reinvent these "offline" changes.

I'd encourage everyone to use github in order not to break development history.

Fork, modify, commit, document, release.
pinterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 10:37   #78  |  Link
kedautinh12

I find out a fork from maki's MPEG2DecPlus 0.1.1 on github, is it added v8 interface or not??
https://github.com/299792458m/DGIndex_mod
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 12:57   #79  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
I'd encourage everyone to use github in order not to break development history.
Perhaps who maintains wiki x64 plugin page could use GitHub for "lost" authors or not willing to.
Old 13th May 2020, 14:07   #80  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Developers, look at Intel Parallel C++.

It promises to reuse code across hardware targets (CPUs and accelerators such as GPUs and FPGAs) and also perform custom tuning for a specific accelerator.

I have access to Intel Resources from University but I am not a programmer. Perhaps someone could get a look and start to think about moving AVS+ plugins to next stage?