Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > DV
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th December 2003, 06:32   #1  |  Link
SiliconSoul

DV to DVD without using convo3d... what do i need to change?

this is in the DV to DVD guide... i do not want to use convo3d what do i need to change?

AviSource("C:\MyDVFiles\DV_type2_file.avi")
SeparateFields()
odd=SelectOdd.Convolution3D(1, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
evn=SelectEven.Convolution3D(1, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
Interleave(evn,odd)
Weave()
DoubleWeave.SelectOdd()
SiliconSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2003, 11:24   #2  |  Link
bb

Well, it depends on whether you are going to use any field based filtering or not.

If yes, then replace the Convolution3D calls with your replacement filters.

If no, then delete all the lines from "SeparateFields()" to "Weave()", so that you end up with these two lines:
Code:
DoubleWeave.SelectOdd()
If your source is progressive, you can (and should) even drop the last line.

bb
bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2003, 11:28   #3  |  Link
SiliconSoul

interlaced no filters thanks
Old 10th December 2003, 22:07   #4  |  Link
Bordo32

Is it better to replace the last line from DoubleWeave.SelectOdd() to ReverseFieldDominance()?
I read a comment on the forum about a potential audio sync problems by using DoubleWeave.SelectOdd().

Does some one may confirm that ReverseFieldDominance() is the right way to convert to TFF?

Thanks
Bordo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2003, 23:04   #5  |  Link
SomeJoe

There's basically 3 ways to deal with typical DV's bottom-field-first video.

1. DoubleWeave.SelectOdd()

Method: Reinterleaves fields to pair them into frames in the opposite sense. Thus the dominant field in each frame is reversed.

Advantage: Very simple, easy to put in the AVISynth script.

Disadvantage: Essentially cuts off the first field of video from your .avi, thus removing 1/60th of a second of video from the front. Corresponding audio will be off by 1/60th of a second unless a similar edit is made to the audio file. (Replace 1/60th with 1/50th for PAL).

2. ReverseFieldDominance(), or use of CCE's "Upper Field First"/"Offset Line: 1" option

Method: Shifts entire frame up or down by one scanline (duplicating a line at the top or bottom). Thus reverses field dominance by shifting the image spatially.

Advantage: Both very simple to do/implement, one in an AVISynth script, one while encoding to MPEG-2 using CCE. Does not cause any audio sync problem.

Disadvantage: If this method is used for a motion menu on a DVD or any video which will have a subpicture highlight, the method will cause an alignment problem between the video and the subpicture unless the subpictures are also shifted by 1 line. This can be a problem when button highlights are made from a Photoshop file that originated with a captured frame of video, or where a previously-authored subpicture was specifically aligned to elements (like buttons) in the video.

3. pulldown.exe -tff even / ReStream

Method: Changes flags in an MPEG stream to tell the playback application that bottom fields in frames should be shown before top fields. Thus field dominance is reversed by reversing fields temporally.

Advantage: No audio sync issues. No subpicture alignment issues.

Disadvantage: DVD standard is to use MPEG video that is encoded as top field first. Virtually all DVD players will play BFF video, but that isn't the "standard". Another disadvantage is that pulldown.exe can be time-consuming to run on several files.

You should pick the method where you can live with the disadvantages and/or that works to your advantage. I personally use pulldown.exe and author my DVDs BFF.
Old 11th December 2003, 16:43   #6  |  Link
ulfschack

Obviously if you dont need any filter nor field interchanging, simply:

Code:
and be done with it.

I fail to see the point of using avisynth at all though.
ulfschack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 19:30   #7  |  Link
SiliconSoul

well im not sure then... i was just going to do some personal cce vs procoder 1.5 quality and speed tests... did not want filters... and framserving DV from Vegas with pluginpac...
guess i was tired and was not thinking why even use avisynth
Old 11th December 2003, 19:59   #8  |  Link
Bordo32

Thanks for the info.
Bordo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2003, 10:50   #9  |  Link
ulfschack

Look here here for a relevant comparison made a couple of months back. Unfortunately the version of procoder is 1.02 and cce 2.50, but there might be something interesting for you anyhow.

cheers
Old 16th December 2003, 18:55   #10  |  Link
SiliconSoul

well ive almost finished my comparision and CCE 2.67 and procoder 1.50 and the difference are hard to tell unless you get picky. the biggest thing for me was a 3 pass with CCE took almost 6 hours to do a 3 pass encode on 27 mins of DV frameserved with pluginpac from Vegas! and Procoder with same bitrate settings on mastering quality took only 2 1/2 hours!

both look good at just watching for a few mins! have not had the time to sit down and do a great compare or frame captures.

whats the best program to get frame captures that will deinterlace....
i encoded interlaced as it will be watch on a TV
Old 20th December 2003, 21:28   #11  |  Link
ulfschack

why not just load it in VirtualDub using your favorit deint-filter (or simply just split the fields (pop-up extended options upon open) then resize in photo shop). Press Ctrl+2 and it's in the buffer. I think VdubMod does this directly to file tho.

cheers