Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 30th August 2020, 09:28   #1  |  Link
d3crypti0n

Video Cut During Transitions

Hello everybody,

Please correct me if I'm in the wrong sub.

I've recently bought a Blu Ray of a good TV show i like because it has the better quality. But because it did not included any german language I also got the DVD of it which has of course Inferior quality. I wanted to extract the german audio and import it into the English Video where I ran into my first problem that the video has not the same bitrate which i solved by remuxing the video with MKVtoolNix and slowing the audio.

Now I've found out that during transitions between different scenes, the pictures fades to black. The Problem is, that german transition takes much longer the the US version and therefore the audio starts to delay after the first transition.

Because of this i wanted to know, if there is some tool which analyzes different audio strings and cuts out breaks (because of course there is no output during these transitions) or better say compares two audio streams and tries to synchronize them. The majority of these audio tracks should be very equal (the music, the sound effects and everything but the actual voice acting should be at the same time - therefore it should (in my theory) be easy to detect differences). Is there something like this or do i imagine it too easy ?

Greetings
d3crypti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:14   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Not easy, not automated.
Possible with AviSynth and waveform, but cumbersome.

Merged a few DVD into Blu-rays, some for missing scenes, most for a missing audio language available only on DVD, additional subtitle languages...
And a few more to come.

In the end merging of different editions in professional manner called for Avisynth manually and an Excel spreadsheet here where I note down any offset, calculate framecounts and durations. Different framerates, sped-up audio? Yessss, of course, you want to take that into consideration as well.

Version offsets might have been introduced at any place due to different intros, deleted scenes, extra frames from dirty edits, fades, transitions, missing frames from broadcast trimming, speed-up cuts, you name it, and I see no way you get that frame-perfect and automated.
Then still it can be done in Avisynth, and I am going that route as far as possible, letting it render Video Intermediates, all kept at/IVTC'd to the same source framerate. Audio I let play out as it came in, keeping the timestretching job for the better algorithms in Vegas.

But for those final corrections I am still preferring a NLE (Vegas Pro) for better WYSIWYG...
Quicker and switchable version overview/preview, Audio/Video Layers, nicer shifting and processing of audio.

Now you might spot version differences better, might want to colourcorrect per scene,
then only for a feathered frame area to correct for border bleaching,
then you might want to apply these FX keyframed & animated because those faults are moving temporally and spatially...

And then reauthoring...
Did I mention subtitles ? Yes subs as well. Retiming the demuxed ones, Translating/Rewriting the missing ones.

Last edited by Emulgator; 2nd September 2020 at 10:31.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 19:57   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

There is no easy way - I am sure there might be some avisynth script to detect black frames and output the audio between these, chapter by chapter. but you still need to reauthor the BD in a FullHD NLE editor.

I gather you can read (you use this forum, right?) so, how about subtitles? These are much easier to align....
Old 28th September 2020, 20:03   #4  |  Link
Cary Knoop
Cary Knoop

I never understood this preference for lip-synched versions of movies and tv-shows.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac3, cut, editing, mkv