Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th September 2010, 20:37   #1  |  Link
Klagar

Help with WinFF parameters

Hi everyone,

I started a new job which requires me to dive into video encoding, a topic about which I've never given much thought. So now I am full of rather-newbie questions, trying to catchup with the train and become an expert in this field in as little time as humanly possible.

So here are my many questions. I just want to understand a little better those parameters in WinFF. I've checked the documentation available on their website, but it seems rather incomplete and vague.

Let's take a very real example which I have to deal with, and I hope someone out there can impart me some wisdom.

Command line :
-f avi -vsync 1 -vcodec libxvid -r 29.97 -s 1280x720 -aspect 16:9 -b 15000k -qmin 1 -qmax 31 -qcomp 0.6 -flags +loop+4mv+aic -me_method epzs -cmp +rd -subcmp +chroma -g 10 -async 1 -acodec mp2 -ab 192k -ar 48000 -ac 2

Questions :

-vsync : can anyone explain what could happen to a video file that has this parameter set wrong ?

-qmin/qmax : why is the maximum number permitted 31 ?

-flags : what is that ?

-cmp/-subcmp : what is that ?

-g : what values would you recommend ? Is there a value over which the video will inevitably lose a lot of quality ?

That should be it for now. Thank you for your time !!!
Klagar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
encoding, parameters, winff