Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 18th April 2022, 22:22   #1  |  Link
Wrapscallion

Strange interlaced film file at 23.976

So I've got this MOV file that must have been captured a while ago. It was probably captured with an AJA KONA capture card. I like to rewrap it to .avi for usage in Avisynth.

It appears to be interlaced, and also 23.976. When scrubbing a frame at a time it looks like three interlaced frames and one progressive. I can deinterlace to 47.952 but then I get some stuttering as it jumps backwards.

It's a bit of a conundrum because I would like to deinterlace it back to 23.976. I use QTGMC and then SelectEven to double and then halve the frame rate back to 23.976 but I think I lose some in-between frames in this manner.

Here's a link to both a raw cut of a portion of the video, and the same portion encoded as FFV1 for those who want a smaller download.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on with this video or what I can even do about it, I've never encountered something like this before.

Edit: I think I may have figured it out... it was originally shot on Super8, 18 fps or 17.982 fps. So it was originally digitized improperly and I now I need to figure out how to restore it. Rather than using QTGMC, TFM seems to work for removing the interlacing without changing the frame rate, and then srestore may work for taking it from 23.976 to 17.982. At least it doesn't seem to be removing frames that way.

Last edited by Wrapscallion; 19th April 2022 at 03:36.
Wrapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote