Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th April 2020, 21:44   #59421  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
What huhn is saying is, right now, switching those settings _assuming_ the display is calibrated to different color spaces will affect color saturations incorrectly.

Your projector as is, is running a rec709 space natively, and it's expecting rgb444 0-255 output from the PC.

If you tell madvr that your display is rec2020, it still assumes rgb444 0-255, so that compresses the saturation inwards.

This difference is not meaningful, because your projector is not rec2020, and isn't expecting rec2020. Even if it is expecting and got rec2020 output from the PC, the projector still only has rec709. Out of gamut will either clip or it will desaturate the edge-colors for perceptual uniformity.

You ordered the "colormunki display " right ? the one that looks like the i1display pro, except black ?
Yes the ColorMunki display.

So even though the PJ says it can do bt2020 I should calibrate it to Rec709?

I think it can do only 58% of 2020 though.

Setup: Denon x4300h - JVC LX-UH1 Projector - 100" SnapAV Dragonfly Acoustic Screen
Cowboydude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 22:00   #59422  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboydude99 View Post
Yes the ColorMunki display.

So even though the PJ says it can do bt2020 I should calibrate it to Rec709?

I think it can do only 58% of 2020 though.
Displaycal will profile the gamut of the projector, then its 3dlut is created.

You leave the PJ gamut alone, only for the 3dlut software do you select a source color space. This will affect the way that space is compressed to FIT onto your PJ's color space.

In the case of HDR, there isn't a definitive mapping due to difference in brightness, however, the gamut map does make a big difference in getting visually good saturation.

Since madvr's HDR tonemapping assumes 2.2pure power gamma, if possible you'd also use HCFR to get the PJ's native tone response close to the 2.2
Old 30th April 2020, 22:06   #59423  |  Link
Michael2907

Wäre can i find the 113 Version?

Gesendet von meinem SM-N960F mit Tapatalk
Michael2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 22:41   #59424  |  Link
mclingo

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBik7RQ...F6pEg?e=Q8T0ZK
Old 1st May 2020, 06:31   #59425  |  Link
PimpUigi

When I switch from 60hz to 23hz my video freezes when I'm using MadVR. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have to close and reopen MPC.
PimpUigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 18:43   #59426  |  Link
THU22

I recently updated my old nvidia drivers to the latest ones (445.87 and then 445.98 HF).

Since then, madVR does not automatically switch to HDR when I open an HDR video in MPC-HC. I never had this problem before.

I can turn on HDR in Windows and videos play fine this way, but that is a bit annoying. If I do not turn on HDR in Windows, the video is washed out (no tone mapping), but the madVR OSD shows it is playing in HDR. It shows NV HDR, BT.2020 and HDR, unkown properties (this is always like that).

Anybody else have this problem?
THU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 18:45   #59427  |  Link
WuNgUn

I would say that isn't a madvr problem but a driver problem. I saw the same thing last week when I tired them.
WuNgUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 18:48   #59428  |  Link
VBB

Are you using a 10-bit chain? If so, switch to 8-bit, and that should fix the problem with the latest few drivers. See the drivers thread here on doom for more info.
Old 1st May 2020, 19:01   #59429  |  Link
WuNgUn

I'm trying to remember... I think it was just the hotfix one that messed up my system.
I tried 8 bit and 10 bit, RBG, 4:2:2...
F×ck it... I went back to 430.xx
WuNgUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 07:23   #59430  |  Link
angmav

Quote:
Originally Posted by THU22 View Post
I recently updated my old nvidia drivers to the latest ones (445.87 and then 445.98 HF).

Since then, madVR does not automatically switch to HDR when I open an HDR video in MPC-HC. I never had this problem before.

I can turn on HDR in Windows and videos play fine this way, but that is a bit annoying. If I do not turn on HDR in Windows, the video is washed out (no tone mapping), but the madVR OSD shows it is playing in HDR. It shows NV HDR, BT.2020 and HDR, unkown properties (this is always like that).

Yes I had the same problem and switched back also to previous driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
angmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 08:19   #59431  |  Link
THU22

I guess there is an upside to that. If I want to pause a video and do something else for a moment, Windows in not overbright and blinding, which is the case when madVR automatically turns HDR on.

Also, when I turned HDR in Windows before, I used to get some flashing green artifacts during video playback. Now it just flickers black for a fraction of a second when I go fullscreen (windowed) and then plays perfectly.

Also, with NV HDR I always had the switching to 8-bit problem whenever the player UI popped up or I went out of fullscreen (windowed). But now it always stays 10-bit with OS HDR.
THU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:10   #59432  |  Link
Harumi

I would like to run 2 instances of madVR (2 seperate video players) if thats possible.

My use would be/

1st player MPC BE +madVR+SVP (higher MadVR settings)
2nd player (insert name here) + madVR + Dmitrirender (lower MadVR settings)

I wanted to test my videos with higher and lower madVR settings (separately attached to specific player), as SVP is less hardware demanding in comparison to Dmitrirender.

I did test JRiver creates seperate madVR instance-(good as settings are different), but cant add custom DirectShow filter (DmitriRender). On the other hand Potplayer accepts custom DirectShow filters but cant add seperate madVR instance as it gets the same settings as the MPC BE.

Thank you for help thanks:
Harumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 13:29   #59433  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by THU22 View Post

I have. However, on my setup, HDR kicks in as soon as the video is fullscreen (alt + return) so there's actually no issue at all.

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 20:30   #59434  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
We recommend a 1070 or 1080gtx for madvr's tonemapping.

1060 will work as well, as long as you don't need some of the other quality of life features.
I am currently running a crippled 1060 (crippled as it is the 3GB version). My HDR tone mapping is having issues dealing with the unchecked "compromise mapping" option.
Guess it is all on the 1060 3GB and a GTX 1070 would be good enough of a jump to allow me to uncheck that compromise option while also allowing me to play with the highlight/shadow recovery options?
Also my HTPC only has 4GB of DDR3 ram so I am adding 4GB more and hoping that 8GB will be enough.
Thanks for any feedback!
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 23:58   #59435  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
I am currently running a crippled 1060 (crippled as it is the 3GB version).
You can try overclocking, 1060 should do +150mhz on core easily, if you got a good chip, you can do up to +200 if it's relatively new.

The ram might be a problem, try reducing the buffer. change present frames to 4 or 6 instead of 8.

use lanczos for chroma.

Switch between dxva2 copyback and dx11 copyback see if that helps. < some systems it does nothing, some might shave 2-3 ms>

Also try CPU decoding in lav if your CPU is strong enough for 4K full bitstream Minimum you need a 5ghz 2500k or a 4.4ghz 2600k and above

Last edited by tp4tissue; 3rd May 2020 at 01:44.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 08:19   #59436  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Wanted to check if anyone else see's an issue I'm having - If I start a HDR movie from the start and bring up the Madvr OSD, it shows the HDR metadata properties, however, if I resume a movie/file, it fails to read the metadata, and say Properties Unknown...

Anyone else have this? (tried windows, fse, all hardware decoding methods and still get the same behavior). Latest Madvr test version, latest lav filters etc.

UPDATE - might be an encoding issue actually, as it only happens on certain files. Never mind.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 3rd May 2020 at 08:46.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 17:04   #59437  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
You can try overclocking, 1060 should do +150mhz on core easily, if you got a good chip, you can do up to +200 if it's relatively new.

The ram might be a problem, try reducing the buffer. change present frames to 4 or 6 instead of 8.

use lanczos for chroma.

Switch between dxva2 copyback and dx11 copyback see if that helps. < some systems it does nothing, some might shave 2-3 ms>

Also try CPU decoding in lav if your CPU is strong enough for 4K full bitstream Minimum you need a 5ghz 2500k or a 4.4ghz 2600k and above
Thanks for your info.
So I was able to find some cheap extra ram and with 8GB it is a LOT better. I also scored a GTX 1070 for $160 and at that price, I felt it was an easy buy, so I can sell my 1060 and recover some cash.
This made things WAY smoother and now I can research which options will give me the very best IQ at least as far as my system can handle it.
Any suggestions on that? This is specifically for UHD watching..
Thanks!
Old 3rd May 2020, 18:58   #59438  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Any suggestions on that? This is specifically for UHD watching..
Thanks!
The next best VISUALLY impactful upgrade would be a colorimeter to utilize madvr's powerful 3DLut color correction feature. (the colormunki display colorimeter is best bang for buck)

The upscaling algorithms in the case of chroma for 4K makes VERY LITTLE difference visually, and at normal distances of 2-3 feet, it makes 0 visual difference, you can try it out for yourself, between NGU sharp very high all the way down to bilinear, you can barely tell.

If you're using downscaling, ssim2d is pretty intensive but should fit within the envelope of a 1070.

Then there's a Wide-Gamut display. This is cheaper than you think, 43" TCLs 5 series are only $200, and the gamut is 93% DCI-P3, it looks alot more vivid than Srgb gamut screens.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 3rd May 2020 at 19:03.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 19:18   #59439  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
The next best VISUALLY impactful upgrade would be a colorimeter to utilize madvr's powerful 3DLut color correction feature. (the colormunki display colorimeter is best bang for buck)

The upscaling algorithms in the case of chroma for 4K makes VERY LITTLE difference visually, and at normal distances of 2-3 feet, it makes 0 visual difference, you can try it out for yourself, between NGU sharp very high all the way down to bilinear, you can barely tell.

If you're using downscaling, ssim2d is pretty intensive but should fit within the envelope of a 1070.

Then there's a Wide-Gamut display. This is cheaper than you think, 43" TCLs 5 series are only $200, and the gamut is 93% DCI-P3, it looks alot more vivid than Srgb gamut screens.
I am using a JVC RS520 actually which was professionally calibrated but it does not hurt to try that 3DLUT since I already have the Xrite i1 display pro. Gonna look for a guide to do that unless we have one specifically for madvr that is.
Also do you think I am good with 8GB of RAM or is there anything that madvr could do better with 16GB?
Finally here is a photo of stats while paying the movie.
I left Star Wars paying like one hour and when I came back there were 6 dropped frames. Am I somehow pushing it too far off is it normal to do drop a few frames here and there?
Those repeated frames so often doesn't seem good to me. I got my card resolution at 24hz. Maybe I should try 23hz..? I don't want to use reclock, just in case.
Thanks!!
Attached Images

Last edited by shaolin95; 4th May 2020 at 05:41.
Old 4th May 2020, 01:57   #59440  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I did exactly the same in html / javascript, it requires mpc-be/hc and keyboard shortcuts set up in madvr.
Upload yours, I'll be interested in it. I can do the same...
I FINALLY got this done, polished up, and uploaded.

General HTPC and home theater device remote control from any web browser.

Easy to create buttons for hotkeys to control madVR settings and switch between madVR profiles.

Enjoy everyone:
https://github.com/nicko88/HTPCRemote
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling