Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th September 2012, 02:36   #41  |  Link
hello_hello

If I google will I'll be likely to find an English translation?

I'm still not clear on what the ratefactor is given it's printed for information but not actually used.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 05:04   #42  |  Link
the_weirdo
Yes, I'm weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
If I google will I'll be likely to find an English translation?

I'm still not clear on what the ratefactor is given it's printed for information but not actually used.
Maybe this thread will be clearer for you.
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:35   #43  |  Link
Vesdaris

i usually do a sample CRF encoding( 1+ minute long, different scenes captured from the whole movie) to determine approximate bitrate required to hit crf18 quality. And then experiment with 2 pass encoding based on the values i get from the sample encoding considering the size i want to get

Recently there was released a bluray Aguirre The Wrath of God 1972 and when i played it it had vertical black bars(which is quire rare). Encoding crf18 sample in 1280x720 i got like 11K bitrate.by the looks of it it did need bitrate that high.
then i found a 720p rip where encoders decreased resolution to 960x720 thus effectively reducing bitrate to 6827 Kbps
Is it a sound tactic?
Vesdaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:21   #44  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesdaris View Post
Recently there was released a bluray Aguirre The Wrath of God 1972 and when i played it it had vertical black bars(which is quire rare). Encoding crf18 sample in 1280x720 i got like 11K bitrate.by the looks of it it did need bitrate that high.
then i found a 720p rip where encoders decreased resolution to 960x720 thus effectively reducing bitrate to 6827 Kbps
Those black bars won't take that many bits to encode, if they are really black and not noisy. You should get about the same quality as those other people if you endoded with black bars and ~7000 kbps average bitrate. So if you want a standard 1280x720 resolution, just make sure the black bars are noise-free and preferably mod 16 wide. Crop to 960x720 and use addborders() to make that happen.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote