Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 29th October 2023, 22:31   #1921  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v80.0 released

Heyo!

Time for another release. I'm still in a bit of a coding slump (or rather: preoccupied with all the amazing games that have come out this year); therefore this release is really, really small. I'll likely do one more bug fix release this year that'll be around this size as well. But let's see how things shake out.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the downloads section and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 80.0 "Roundabout" 2023-10-29
New features and enhancements
  • MKVToolNix GUI: if the system's locale uses one of the Han scripts, the GUI will force Arabic numerals to be used in spin boxes. This prevents Suzhou numerals from being used which seems to be the default on Windows systems sold in China. Implements #3624.

Bug fixes
  • build system: fixed detection of Qt6 if "clang" is used for compilation on Linux. In that case Qt's "qmake" added a "gcc"-specific option that "clang" doesn't understand, "-mno-direct-extern-access". "configure" will now pass the parameter "-spec linux-clang" to "qmake" so that it uses the correct compiler flags.
  • build system: fixed the use of "mktemp" to be more portable to e.g. macOS. Fixes #3608.
  • mkvmerge: if a video aspect ratio was given with "--aspect-ratio-factor", the code would apply a second factor based on the pixel resolution, resulting in much too large values for the "DisplayWidth" element. For example, with a pixel resolution of 720x520 & an aspect ratio factor of 1/1 the result should be 720x520, but instead it was 900x520. Up until release 76.0 this has only happened when a track order was given (which unfortunately includes all invocations with MKVToolNix GUI as it always includes the track order). Starting with release 77.0 this has always happened due to the automatic sorting of tracks implicitly creating a track order, even if none was given.

Have fun 😁

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2023, 08:27   #1922  |  Link
varekai

Thanks, much appreciated!!
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2023, 18:02   #1923  |  Link
Perenista

Is there a way to disable the warning about saving files with only the video track?
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2023, 20:57   #1924  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Yes, in the preferences → "Multiplexer" → "Warn about missing audio tracks".

Old 31st October 2023, 21:26   #1925  |  Link
Grimsdyke

I tried to merge a few files lately using the wonderful chapter feature in MKVtoolNix !!
However there were already some warnings given -> merging was done but video got distorted right at the first warning point. Sound was fine.

I tried all things that I could think of but unfortunately the only way I found was merging in FFmpeg -> conversion to m4V -> adding chapters then with Drax.
So I was wondering. Is there the possibility to "out source" merging towards ffmpeg in MKVtoolNix in such situations ?

Last edited by Grimsdyke; 31st October 2023 at 21:30. Reason: Clarify
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2023, 21:36   #1926  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

You would just have to do the outsourcing yourself (i.e. reencode) and I would suggest this in any such case.
A muxer can only mux, maybe check for compliancy and reject things that can not be merged.
Any task beyond that will be job of the person tasking the various softwares, me too ;-)
Old 29th November 2023, 08:55   #1927  |  Link
oniiz86

I have an audio delay discrepancy when splitting the file with "By parts based on timestamps", the file's "Delay relative to video" is 2s 2ms (2002ms) & was wondering if it is normal behaviour for the delay variance depending on where a split is made?

The file in its entirety below,

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS ES XCh XLL
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Commercial name : DTS-HD Master Audio
Codec ID : A_DTS
Duration : 1 h 44 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 738 kb/s
Channel(s) : 7 channels
Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE Cb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless
Delay relative to video : 2 s 2 ms
Stream size : 3.44 GiB (25%)
Title : DTS-HD MA 6.1
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

A 3min sample has a 7ms delay

Audio
Duration : 3 min 0 s
Bit rate : 5 599 kb/s
Delay relative to video : 7 ms
Stream size : 120 MiB (24%)

A 4min 55s sample has a 1ms delay

Audio
Duration : 4 min 55 s
Bit rate : 4 846 kb/s
Delay relative to video : 1 ms
Stream size : 171 MiB (24%)
oniiz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2023, 09:40   #1928  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz86 View Post
I have an audio delay discrepancy when splitting the file with "By parts based on timestamps", the file's "Delay relative to video" is 2s 2ms (2002ms) & was wondering if it is normal behaviour for the delay variance depending on where a split is made?
Does the track have video too? If positive, AFAIK you can split video only at I-Frames.
Old 29th November 2023, 09:57   #1929  |  Link
oniiz86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Does the track have video too? If positive, AFAIK you can split video only at I-Frames.
Sorry, yes it does, the film is X-Men: The Last Stand, is a delay of 2s 2ms (2002ms) fairly significant, I can't detect any audible delay, I was just curious why it varied so much depending on where the timestamps are split when making a short sample, here is the video stream below,

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 13.7 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.373
Stream size : 10.00 GiB (74%)
Writing library : x264 core 155 r2901 7d0ff22
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=48 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=25 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=19.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
Bit rate : 4 738 kb/s
Delay relative to video : 2 s 2 ms
Stream size : 3.44 GiB (25%)
oniiz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2023, 11:16   #1930  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz86 View Post
Yes, this is normal.

The "delay of video relative to audio" is simply the difference of the timestamps of the first video & first audio packets. At the start of the file it's relatively normal to have audio start quite a bit later than the video, in your example more than 2s later.

However, there's absolutely no reason to assume that there's a gap in the audio somewhere in the middle. Therefore when you split the second & all following files will have both audio & video content very near the start of the file, and therefore a much, much smaller difference between the timestamps of the first audio & video packets.

Furthermore, audio & video packets almost always have a different duration. For videos typical values include 40ms (for a 25 FPS video) or 41,708333ms (for a 23.976 FPS video). Typical values for audio on the other hand include 21,333ms for AAC @ 48.000 Hz and similar values.

Let's assume your video is 25 FPS with the aforementioned AAC @ 48.000 Hz audio track, and you have a key frame at the 30th frame, which means at 30 * 40ms = 1200ms. For audio the closest packet that plays at 1200ms starts at 21.333ms * floor(1200ms / 21.333ms) = 21.333ms * 56 = 1194.648ms. However, mkvmerge only includes packets in the new file that start at or after the splitpoint, meaning that audio frame will not be written into the new file. Instead, the next one will be, which starts at 21.333ms * ceiling(1200ms / 21.333ms) = 21.333ms * 57 = 1215,981. The difference between the timestamps of this first audio frame & the video frame where we split is obviously 15.981ms, and that's the value you'll see for this particular split as the delay between audio & video.

You can then make similar calculations for a different split point. Let's assume you have one at 76 frames = 76 * 40ms = 3040ms. The first audio frame that'll end up in the new file is located at 21.333ms * ceiling(3040ms / 21.333ms) = 21.333ms * 143 = 3050.619ms. The difference for this case is 10.6619ms, which is different than the previous example.

Old 29th November 2023, 18:08   #1931  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

I have a strange issue.

I have created a mkv from DVD with MakeMKV (but I don't think that is the cause).

If I try to split by chapters AND I keep only the video — removing audio, subs and chapters entries from Tracks, chapters and tags — MKVToolNix GUI doesn't split the mkv and gives me the full lenght file.

Is it a bug or by design?
Old 29th November 2023, 18:15   #1932  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

If you opt not to copy chapters from the source, then it cannot split by chapters. The reason is that the split decisions are made way later than the decision whether or not to read chapters from a file.

Old 29th November 2023, 18:49   #1933  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
If you opt not to copy chapters from the source, then it cannot split by chapters. The reason is that the split decisions are made way later than the decision whether or not to read chapters from a file.

I understand.

That’s a pity as if I want to cut a video but to have no chapters in it, I’d have to remix twice.
Old 30th November 2023, 06:27   #1934  |  Link
hello_hello

Video delay after splitting files

I've noticed that MKVToolNix sometimes applies a delay to the video stream when splitting MKVs. That is, after splitting, a split section might have a video delay, sometimes of a few seconds. Fortunately this doesn't seem to alter the A/V sync. If the first split section begins at the start of the source MKV, it never has an additional delay applied to the video. Only sections from the first split point sometimes have a video delay.

I often use MKVToolNix to split MKVs after I've encoded a video. I do this by also encoding the sections I want to remove (separately), appending them to the sections I'm keeping, then split on the appropriate frames while remuxing. Doing so ensures the video has a keyframe at the split points, and of course it splits any audio and subtitle streams to match so they don't need to be split separately. Once again though, the split MKV sometimes has a substantial video delay, although the A/V sync is okay.

There's a link to a 6kB zip file below containing two small sample MKVs. Neither MKV contains a stream other than (blank) video and neither has a video delay. The first MKV contains 140 frames of AVC video.
If I open "Test A.mkv" from the zip file and append "Test B.mkv", then remux while telling MKVToolnixGUI to split the output after frame 140, logically the output MKVs should be the same as the input MKVs, but in this case the second output MKV has a video delay of 600ms, and I'm just trying to understand why.

Test.zip

Cheers.

Last edited by hello_hello; 30th November 2023 at 14:38.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2023, 04:12   #1935  |  Link
Perenista

Is there a way to actually add a new subtitle to a MKV, but that new track have the "default" disabled by default?

If I am not mistaken, if we enable this option, it also disables the "default" for the others which are already DEFAULTED.

Example: my file has:

1) A video track = DEFAULT track option enabled (english)
2) An audio track = DEFAULT track option enabled (english)
3) A subtitle track = DEFAULT track option enabled (english)

If I add a 4th track:

4) A subtitle track = in another language, like ITALIAN;

I don't want the 4th to have the "DEFAULT" flag enabled; instead, I want it DISABLED.

A 4th or any other additional tracks. All new stuff with this flag turned OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I often use MKVToolNix to split MKVs after I've encoded a video.
I stopped splitting any file with MKVToolnix a long time ago, because that always broke the resulting MKV. It had A/V sync issues, and I was unable to revert the damage. Only a few were not affected, it was totally random. I used to do this because I had more than 1 Google Drive acc, with 15 GB each, and some MKVs were big.

I should never have tried this, since it introduces problems I never saw again, once I stopped with this practice. Now I always let the file with its original size, and if needed, use WinRAR to split the thing. Trust me, if you never noticed, it was pure luck, this is always bound to happen, and it doesn't matter if you try to append the splitted parts later. This is similar to destroying a vase, trying to glue the broken pieces, then arguing nothing changed.

Last edited by Perenista; 1st December 2023 at 16:59.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2023, 13:07   #1936  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v81 released

Heyo!

Here's MKVToolNix v81, the latest & greatest etc. etc. A lot of work went into improving & finishing the support for Dolby Vision. Apart from that there are several usability improvements & bug fixes, as usual.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the downloads section and the source code.

The Windows binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Please note that I don't have macOS binaries yet, and due to issues with my build machine I cannot give an ETA for them either.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 81.0 "Milliontown" 2023-12-02
New features and enhancements
  • mkvmerge: MPEG transport stream reader: HEVC/H.265: added support for reading single-layer Dolby Vision from Annex B type bitstream read from MPEG transport streams. Partially implements #3113.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG transport stream reader, HEVC/H.265 elementary stream reader: added support for reading dual-layer Dolby Vision with both the base & enhancement layers in the same track from Annex B type bitstreams in MPEG transport files & elementary stream files. Implements #3126.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG transport stream reader: HEVC/H.265: implemented combining dual-layer Dolby Vision with base & enhancement layers in different tracks. Implements #3127.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added a new option in the preferences for always enabling 'forced' subtitle tracks. A subtitle track is considered to be 'forced' if: the corresponding property is set in the source file; the track's name contains the word 'forced' (in English); deriving the 'forced display' flag from file names is active & the file name matches the corresponding pattern. The option is disabled by default. Implements #3627.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the functionality for detecting file name sequences when adding files can now recognize the patterns used by GoPro's cameras for chaptered video files. Implements #3633.
  • xyzvc_dump: the end position of the current NALU will be output in non-portable format as well.
  • xyzvc_dump: HEVC: the tool will now also output the inner NALU type of Dolby Vision NALUs ("unspec62" and "unspec63").

Bug fixes
  • mkvmerge: when the user requests processing be stopped after the video ends "mkvmerge" will now take appending files into account properly. It won't stop processing unconditionally after the first file ends anymore. Fixes #3618.
  • mkvmerge: AV1 handling in readers: the readers will now provide the pixel dimensions to the AV1 packetizer as early as possible, just like for other video packetizers. That way the pixel dimensions are available for calculating the display dimensions when command-line options such as "--aspect-ratio" & "--aspect-ratio-factor" are used. Before the change the calculation was done based on initial pixel dimension values of 0x0, resulting in display dimensions of 0x0, too. Fixes #3611.
  • mkvmerge: HEVC/H.265 packetizer: when reading & appending HEVC/H.265 from Matroska, MP4/MOV or FLV files the first frame of all the appended files was sometimes dropped, resulting in broken video at the point where video is appended. Fixes #3479.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG transport stream reader: when reading MPEG transport streams from Blu-rays the four-byte long "TP_extra_header" structure in front of the transport packets are now skipped properly. Before the fix a stray byte with value of "0x47" inside that "TP_extra_header" structure could have thrown off the detection of where the transport packets start, leading to mkvmerge dropping a few audio and/or video frames at the start of the file. Fixes #3632.
  • mkvextract: AAC extractor: when an invalid program config element in the GA-specific config element is encountered, the program config element will be disregarded, which avoids mkvextract aborting with an exception. Fixes #3606.
  • xyzvc_dump: fixed the tool aborting with an exception when the last NALU in an Annex B type file was shorter than four bytes.

Other changes
  • AVC & HEVC dumper development tool: the tool has been renamed from "xvc_dump" to "xyzvc_dump" as "xvc" is an abbreviation for an existing video codec (Extreme Video Coding), and the tool has nothing to do with that codec.

Have fun! 😁

Old 2nd December 2023, 14:54   #1937  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Nice, many thanks !
Old 3rd December 2023, 18:42   #1938  |  Link
markfilipak

Hi All. I'm running Win7-64bit. What's the 'last' Win7 release of mkvtoolnix?

I know where the vintage packages are but I can't find any release info, so I don't know which to download. I've been running v.61 but I've encountered an mkvextract bug in v.61 when there's 'extra' dots in the file name (e.g., c:\my..video.mkv). The bug makes scripting too difficult. Thanks -- Mark.
markfilipak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2023, 21:16   #1939  |  Link
manolito

Win7 compatible builds are here:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=184092

At the very end of this thread you can find the current versions which are built to work under Win7.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 3rd December 2023 at 21:19.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2023, 22:53   #1940  |  Link
Snowknight26

Did m2ts parsing break in v81?

Tried to remux several Blu-rays and each time v81 silently aborts when the output file has been opened for writing.

v81:
Code:
C:\Users\Admin>"C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe" --ui-language en --priority lower --output ^"Z:\temp\test.mkv^" --no-audio --no-subtitles --no-chapters --language 0:und ^"^(^" ^"Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\PLAYLIST\00001.mpls^" ^"^)^"
mkvmerge v81.0 ('Milliontown') 64-bit
Scanning 2 files in 1 playlist.
Done scanning playlists.
'Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\STREAM\00010.m2ts': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'MPEG transport stream'.
'Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\STREAM\00012.m2ts': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'MPEG transport stream'.
'Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\STREAM\00010.m2ts' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/H.264 (unframed)'.
'Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\STREAM\00012.m2ts' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/H.264 (unframed)'.
The file 'Z:\temp\test.mkv' has been opened for writing.
v80 (stopped with Ctrl+C):
Code:
C:\Users\Admin>"C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe" --ui-language en --priority lower --output ^"Z:\temp\test.mkv^" --no-audio --no-subtitles --no-chapters --language 0:und ^"^(^" ^"Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\PLAYLIST\00001.mpls^" ^"^)^"
mkvmerge v80.0 ('Roundabout') 64-bit
Scanning 2 files in 1 playlist.
Done scanning playlists.
'Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\STREAM\00010.m2ts': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'MPEG transport stream'.
'Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\STREAM\00012.m2ts': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'MPEG transport stream'.
'Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\STREAM\00010.m2ts' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/H.264 (unframed)'.
'Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\STREAM\00012.m2ts' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/H.264 (unframed)'.
The file 'Z:\temp\test.mkv' has been opened for writing.
'Z:\temp\ES_FF_XIV_ORCHESTRAL_ALBUM_3\BDMV\STREAM\00010.m2ts' track 0: Extracted the aspect ratio information from the video bitstream and set the display dimensions to 1920/1080.
^Cogress: 3%
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska