Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th April 2020, 15:27   #1  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

BetaCAM VTR to lossless file encoder

Hi there,
during this pandemic we're actually airing some old contents that were actually recorded on tape and were never digitalized (i.e brought to a file), especially for sport events, as there are no live events and people are watching all kind of stuff from remarkable football matches, to stunning F1 races of the past and so on. Anyway, some of those contents are very old and need to be restored a bit before airing them, especially as we would like to remaster them in FULL HD. The problem with our current setup is that EVS encodes the stream in XDCAM50 after it has been upscaled with a crappy fastbilinear kernel in real time by an upconverter card (Evertz). In other words: BetaCAM (VTR) to SDI Cable -> Evertz crappy fastbilinear real time kernel FULL HD upscale to SDI Cable -> EVS Ingest which encodes the stream in XDCAM50 (MPEG-2) and stores the newly created .mxf file in an AVID workspace.
Today my boss called me to setup a Remastering solution that would do the following:

BetaCAM (VTR) to SDI Cable -> Lossless encoder to file

after that we would index it with Avisynth and restore it by upscaling it with NNEDI3 and Spline64Resize and doing a bit of denoise and debanding and deraimbowning and all the other things that need to be done. After that we're gonna encode it in a lossy mezzanine file and import the encoded file to our Interplay system. I've already setup a bunch of script to do just that, but what I need is something that takes the input from the BetaCAM VTR SDI Cable and encodes it to something lossless. It can be anything like HuffYUV, UTVideo, FFV1, Lagarith, MagicYUV etc, it doesn't matter, it just has to be lossless. What we have as in-house solutions are just recording ports connected to a matrix that can either encode in AVC-Intra 100 or XDCAM50 or IMX50 or DV25 and none of them is good for this task. Where can we buy that kind of encoder?

Thank you in advance,
Frank.

Last edited by FranceBB; 6th April 2020 at 15:30.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote