Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th April 2007, 13:05   #121  |  Link
felixk

Output file name bug

Hey Scientist, really great work! I love this tool.
I found that avi.net delivered slightly sharper pictures than autogk for my test movie in less time
(same codec, same audio, same file size)

I think that there is a bug with the output filename:
When I edit the output filename in the corresponding textbox, and then press ADD, that custom output file name is discarded, and the input file name is used (with .avi extension). When I use the dialog box (OUT button) to enter a new output file name, everything works fine.
felixk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 13:41   #122  |  Link
felixk

By the way, the version I used is 2.5.1.0

I have a few small suggestions, just for the case your TODO list runs empty
  • Don't delete the .TEMP folder, if the same movie is encoded multiple times with different settings. (results in error.)
  • On right click on an item in the job list, select that item, as in the windows explorer (as right clicking on an item and chosing Delete can delete other items in the list).
  • Allow to add jobs while encoder is running.
  • On STOP!, keep the list of unfinished jobs.
  • Allow to edit jobs which are in the job list. (for example, right click on an item in the job list, select edit, and all checkboxes and fields are set according to the job settings. Even shorter: double click on job).
The last two points are very useful, if you set up a list of jobs, and notice a mistake right after pressing START.
felixk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 10:44   #123  |  Link
The Scientist

Program Updated

avi.NET has been updated, sorry it took so long.
The Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:45   #124  |  Link
jgawera

Hi,
Glad to hear you're still developing.

I've just downloaded and installed it, haven't tried it yet.
I did however notice that index.net is not there anymore. Is this coming back bigger and better than ever before?

I found it a great time saver, and as i've suggested before in this thread I think it could be even more useful.

Thanks for avi.NET
J
jgawera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 13:27   #125  |  Link
The Scientist

Yes it is still there, it is just the 'desktop' shortcut is not there anymore, the shortcut should be in 'programs' with most of your other shortcuts.
Old 3rd September 2007, 14:12   #126  |  Link
weaver4

Thanks,

Your program is one of my favorites! It is my program of choice for DivX content.

When are you going to make a H264.net? If you could make the H264 world as easy to use as you made the DivX/XviD world you will have many people worship you. [Don't add H264 to avi.net; too many tools try to do too much and end up with something too complicated.]

Last edited by weaver4; 3rd September 2007 at 15:16.
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 15:56   #127  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver4 View Post
Thanks,

Your program is one of my favorites! It is my program of choice for DivX content.

When are you going to make a H264.net? If you could make the H264 world as easy to use as you made the DivX/XviD world you will have many people worship you. [Don't add H264 to avi.net; too many tools try to do too much and end up with something too complicated.]
Thanks for the new version.

Weaver4 i too am hoping for a h264.net altough i dont see aproblem in integrating a acheckbox for x264 in the GUI. only a checkbox doesnt affect the program that much.
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 18:55   #128  |  Link
weaver4

I would guess that it would need a checkbox for x264, then it would need to select the container (mpv or mp4), then it would need a place to select a profile (for apple.tv, ps2, psp, xbox360 and such; due to convoluted h264). That might make the clean avi.net GUI a little awkward.

The thing that would concern me the most is that the interface to the H264 codec, the filters and such are all different. These changes to the code could effect the wonderful reliability of avi.net. Not to say anything bad about MeGui, but it seems that when they fix one thing they break another, same could be said of AutoMKV (but not to the same degree). I would say avi.net works great, don't touch it; start a second program....but then I am not the author.
Old 9th September 2007, 10:30   #129  |  Link
Jacquers
bonkers

Thanks for the update!

Maybe it's a weird request, but I would like to see an option for 1 pass fit to size, just for some quick and dirty encoding of stuff I only watch once.
Old 12th September 2007, 18:27   #130  |  Link
digidragon

As well as the suggestions made by others (choice of MP3 bitrate, minimize button, option to autoplay or not) I'd like an option for a better-quality deinterlacer (KernelDeInt for example).
digidragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 18:41   #131  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
I'd like an option for a better-quality deinterlacer (KernelDeInt for example).
yadif is better
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 22:13   #132  |  Link
The Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidragon View Post
minimize button,
Read the user guide.
Quote:
I'd like an option for a better-quality deinterlacer (KernelDeInt for example).
Is that better in *your* opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
yadif is better
See what I mean.....

I'll put in whatever deinterlacer the majority thinks is 'better'.

Last edited by The Scientist; 12th September 2007 at 22:17.
Old 12th September 2007, 22:28   #133  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Do tests and judge yourself
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 23:31   #134  |  Link
lUp

started using your soft today, to shrink down these DVD folders on my HD. Due to fileloss prior to this (and restoring the files), all my ifos were messed up and neither autogk nor anything else could read the dvd structure. after running all folders through ifo edit, your prog could open them (the others still couldn't ^^). So, you're the winner.

Now id like to suggest some things.

- pgc.net should have a batch function. I'm right now switching from folder to folder by hand to convert the files. Doing the actions beforehand, choosing in- and out folders would help a lot. It would already be nicer, if it would just remember the last position for in and out. I'm selecting "in" chosing drive e>subfolder1>subfolder2>subfolder3 then i choose "out" switch from e: to x:>subfolder1>subfolder2. when it's done, i chose "in" again, and where do i start? on x: instead of e:. Quite annoying when converting 26 folders ^^

- same for avi.net. I know it batches, but setting the settings just beforehand for each file (if you know the settings you would like) and then hitting go! which would result in indexing and afterwards converting, would allow to switch of the monitor after hitting the start button

- index.net... whats it for? i insert a vob, hit start, the vob diappears and the prog says "completed". I wouldn't have noticed, but index.net is the only link that appears in the start menu after installing your suite under vista x86 ultimate

also combining all three (or two, without that index.net ^^) progs into one, would help in the workflow.
lUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 23:53   #135  |  Link
digidragon

I *have* read the guide. I meant a *proper* minimize button, i.e. near the close (X) button.

I didn't suggest a particular deinterlacer, I merely listed one as an example. As you have an HQ option for the encoder, perhaps you can also add an HQ option for deinterlacing.

I quite like the app - it's certainly the most stable and reliable (for me) of the one-click encoders I've tried. Whereas its simplicity is its strength, I'd like a few more options...
digidragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 01:39   #136  |  Link
The Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Do tests and judge yourself
Well I did and I couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUp View Post
started using your soft today, to shrink down these DVD folders on my HD. Due to fileloss prior to this (and restoring the files), all my ifos were messed up and neither autogk nor anything else could read the dvd structure. after running all folders through ifo edit, your prog could open them (the others still couldn't ^^). So, you're the winner.
Cool.......

Quote:
Now id like to suggest some things.
- pgc.net should have a batch function.
Keep your eyes peeled, next version will.

Quote:
I'm right now switching from folder to folder by hand to convert the files. Doing the actions beforehand, choosing in- and out folders would help a lot. It would already be nicer, if it would just remember the last position for in and out. I'm selecting "in" chosing drive e>subfolder1>subfolder2>subfolder3 then i choose "out" switch from e: to x:>subfolder1>subfolder2. when it's done, i chose "in" again, and where do i start? on x: instead of e:. Quite annoying when converting 26 folders ^^
I'll look into this.

Quote:
index.net... whats it for?
Well, when you load a file into avi.NET it 'indexes' it, if you have more than one it may be easier to index them all first (using index.NET) so avi.NET doesn't have to.

Quote:
I *have* read the guide. I meant a *proper* minimize button, i.e. near the close (X) button.
Oh I see, no, haven't got one of them. I don't like the standard toolbar that gets displayed so have a different one which unfortunately doesn't have a minimise button in the traditional location.
Old 14th September 2007, 01:59   #137  |  Link
The Scientist

avi.NET has been updated again, now at v2.5.6.0, see first post for update history. Load & Save paths are handled more efficiently, I hope
Old 14th September 2007, 09:08   #138  |  Link
jgawera

Excellent, can't wait for the batch processing. I've been waiting for this before I attempt to encode my TV episode DVDs

I'd also like to remind you of a couple of ideas I had which would speed up the process for people that are encoding a lot. My ideas basically don't require the user to keep coming back to the PC after each stage.

pgc.net should allow a batch facility to rip multiple pgcs from multiple DVDs (or DVD folders on the hard drive). For example, I copy all 6 DVDs of the Sopranos series 1 to my hard drive, I then want to add all 13 episodes to the pgc.net list and hit go. Leave it for a while and let it do it's thing.

Index.net should have the option to also index subtitles. That way I can add all 13 episodes of sopranos to index.net, leave it to do it's thing and then the process of adding to avi.net is much quicker. I don't have to wait 13x3 mins for each episode to index the subs.

And then the obvious next step to these is to combine pgc.net and index.net so that I select the 13 pgcs from the 6 dvds on my hard drive. For each pgc, it rips, indexes, and indexes subs. So now I create my list, hit go, and when I come back, everything is ready for a quick avi.net session and then hit go again.

Thanks for the great app, keep it up.

J
jgawera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 11:32   #139  |  Link
The Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgawera View Post
Excellent, can't wait for the batch processing. I've been waiting for this before I attempt to encode my TV episode DVDs

I'd also like to remind you of a couple of ideas I had which would speed up the process for people that are encoding a lot. My ideas basically don't require the user to keep coming back to the PC after each stage.

pgc.net should allow a batch facility to rip multiple pgcs from multiple DVDs (or DVD folders on the hard drive). For example, I copy all 6 DVDs of the Sopranos series 1 to my hard drive, I then want to add all 13 episodes to the pgc.net list and hit go. Leave it for a while and let it do it's thing.

Index.net should have the option to also index subtitles. That way I can add all 13 episodes of sopranos to index.net, leave it to do it's thing and then the process of adding to avi.net is much quicker. I don't have to wait 13x3 mins for each episode to index the subs.

And then the obvious next step to these is to combine pgc.net and index.net so that I select the 13 pgcs from the 6 dvds on my hard drive. For each pgc, it rips, indexes, and indexes subs. So now I create my list, hit go, and when I come back, everything is ready for a quick avi.net session and then hit go again.

Thanks for the great app, keep it up.

J
Spooky........

Last edited by The Scientist; 14th September 2007 at 12:25.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:08   #140  |  Link
weaver4

Can't reach your (avi.net) website.