Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 24th October 2020, 16:33   #21  |  Link
kevbo

Won't detect Java

I have version 1.19. Upon startup, it can't detect Java and throws a warning/error message.

I have Java 1.8 and 11 installed. However, I don't use the Oracle JDK, I use AdoptOpenJDK, due to Oracle's new licensing restrictions.

If I bring up a command prompt and type "java", I get Java (so java.exe is in the path). I also have a JAVA_HOME environment variable set.

I'm wondering how the program actually tries to find Java. I can think of two things that have gone wrong. One, the java that comes up is Java 11. Maybe you only want 8? Or two, you're looking for something specifically Oracle that I don't have, because I have a different Java package.

Adding: AdoptOpenJDK can do 4 things when installing. It can add Java to the system PATH, it can associate itself with .jar files, it can set JAVA_HOME, and it can set values in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft

Each of these 4 things is optional in the installer, but I have all 4 things enabled here. AdoptOpenJDK doesn't install in the Oracle location in Program Files: if you are specifically looking for Java there, it isn't there. But there are 4 other things that can looked for to try to find Java (well, at least 3, not sure the .jar association is all that helpful). At the very least, I'd think that looking for java.exe in the path and/or looking for JAVA_HOME should work. Or maybe allow the location of the JRE to be a configured option?

There are quite a few packagings of Java these days, and the new Oracle licensing makes that particular one quite sub-optimal. (I say knowing full well that Java's usage on the desktop is really minimal these days anyways.)

I'd like to help figure this out: I develop with Java so I'm familiar with how it installs/integrates.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited by kevbo; 25th October 2020 at 01:48. Reason: Additional info
kevbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2020, 11:30   #22  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks foir your detailed description of the problem. I don't know AdoptOpenJDK, but I will try it and investigate the problem. Can you confirm that it is fully compatible with the programs developed for the Oracle version ? Also, I suppose that the version most users have currently is OpenJDK 11 HotSpot. Correct ?

The way BD3D2MK3D detects java is somewhat complex, because Oracke has a strange installation method. Therefore, BD3D2MK3D uses several different methods, one after each other :
  1. First, it tries to use the java path stored in the BD3D2MK3D configuration file. It's only when the path has changed due to a new installation that the whole procedure is started over.
  2. It tries to execute the command "where java" in the command prompt. That command is supposed to return the path of java.exe if it is in the PATH environment variable and afaik it has always worked (except of course if java.exe is not in the %PATH%).
  3. Then, it builds its own list of directories where the programs are usually installed. It uses the environment variables ProgramFiles and ProgramFiles(x86) (if they exist) to discover the paths of those folders. It appends "Java" to those directories, and then it checks in all sub-directories if java.exe exists. Therefore, it should be able to discover for example "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_271\bin\java.exe".
  4. Finally, it gives up and tries to use just "java.exe", without path.
  5. The final test, always executed, consists in trying to execute the command "path/to/java.exe -version". In the output of that command, it searches for "java version", and assumes that the version is just after that words, on the same line.
  6. If the version string has not been found and is therefore empty, it issues the warning telling that java is not properly installed. However, it returns the path anyway.
I guess that it's the last step that doesn't work, as "where java" should work, even if java is not installed in the usual Program Files directory.

Note that the function that checks for java can return the path or the version string. Normally, BD3D2MK3D doesn't check the version, as it assumes that any version should be OK. It uses the version string only to display it when the menu Help -> Java Version is called, as well as in the log when the Java version of BDSup2Sub is executed, for example to convert the subtitles to 3D.

I will try to locate the problem. In the meantime, try to edit the file BD3D2MK3D.cfg. Locate the line beginning with set ::config(javapath), and insert the path to your version of java.exe. The directory separator character must be linux-like (/), or two backslashes (\\), and the whole string must be enclosed between accolades, like this:
Code:
set ::config(javapath)         {C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Oracle\\Java\\javapath\\java.exe}
Please let me know if that trick works. Unfortunately, it may trigger an error when the version is printed, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, that bug will be fixed in the next version. Thanks again for your report.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2020, 12:08   #23  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, the fix I just did seems to work. Indeed, the problem was related to the string with the version. For the Oracle Java, the line begins with "java version" and for AdoptOpenJDK, it begins with "openjdk version". I have modified the code to check only if the word " version " is present, and now, the Oracle and OpenJDK releases are correctly recognised and accepted.

I have also modified the error message and the link to download Java to direct the user to the AdoptOpenJDK site rather than to Oracle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
There are quite a few packagings of Java these days
Can you tell me if some of them are well established, and where to find them ? I will try them also, to verify if all good avatars of Java are compatible and accepted by BD3D2MK3D.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th October 2020, 16:07   #24  |  Link
kevbo

Great that you were able to fix it by looking at the string! I hadn't thought of that.

OpenJDK releases should all be compatible. They're all built from the same source code (even Oracle's these days, although apparently Oracle changes some strings). Oracle's releases aren't supported for long, and have really strange licensing terms that are so silly that I've honestly not bothered figuring them out. I just get the JDK from somewhere else.

I know of a few of them:

There are a few more on the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenJDK#OpenJDK_builds
Old 26th October 2020, 09:57   #25  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, thanks. Not sure I will check all variants, especially if I can be almost sure that the word "version" is present in the output of the java -version command. Also, I think I will change the code again to replace the version string with "undefined", or something like that, when it cannot be found, so that a release that doesn't follow the standard will be accepted anyway (at the risk of the user).
I will probably release a new version of BD3D2MK3D soon...
Old 27th October 2020, 21:35   #26  |  Link
kevbo

Cool. I suspect "openjdk version" is going to be pretty standard on all of the rebuild projects.

Just for kicks, I checked on Linux, which uses a JDK build by Red Hat. It says "openjdk version".

Thanks again for being so responsive!

Kevin
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:10   #27  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.20

BD3D2MK3D v1.20 is available. It fixes a few bugs, supports now most (all?) releases of java, and has been compiled with the latest freeWrap version (so its look may have slightly changed).

But most importantly, the version of tsMuxeR distributed with BD3D2MK3D has changed. It is now a relatively old build of the new open source version, with several important bugs fixed, but also some important changes in the meta file format. For that reason, BD3D2MK3D is not compatible any more with the old (closed source) versions of tsMuxeR. You may try to update tsMuxeR to the latest beta of the open source version, but do it at your own risk, as it is still heavily modified, and you may encounter incompatibilities or new bugs. The version distributed with BD3D2MK3D, although a nightly release, is recommended, as it has been successfully tested by me and several beta testers.

Also important, if you use the Custom Encoder command line instead of the built-in x264 or x265 encoders : the syntax has slightly changed, especially for the paths of the exe to call. So, after having installed this version, please try a custom encoding of a small clip to verify that your custom command works fine. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Note: Avisynth+ v3.5.1 has been released and it works perfectly with BD3D2MK3D: https://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynth...ses/tag/v3.5.1 (You may need to install the vcredist variant if vcredist is not yet installed.)
Quote:
v1.20 (November 3, 2020)
- Compiled and wrapped with freewrap 6.73, using Tcl/Tk 8.6.10.
- Adapted to the new Open Source version of tsMuxeR. Most (all?) demux bugs have been fixed, and it is no longer necessary to demux the angles with many M2TS with eac3to.
- IMPORTANT: The syntax of the custom command has slightly changed. Now, the backslach character \ in Windows paths MUST be typed twice, to avoid escaping problems.
- Workaround for a BDSup2Sub++ bug when loading some full-width subtitles: the X position is -2147483648 instead of 0!
- Fix: Java was not detected correctly when the installed version was not Oracle Java. It is now possible and recommended to install the open source AdoptOpenJDK instead of Oracle Java.
- Fix: Preview and Do It! buttons were disabled when the BD shows no 3D-playlist after opening it, but some playlists become available when the "Show all 3D playlists" is selected.
- Tools -> TsMuxer GUI opens now automatically the currently selected MPLS (if any)
- In case of error when checking if Avisynth+ is properly installed, the error message suggests now to install the version with the vcredist package.
- Removed the Power Plans stuff when BD3D2MK3D doesn't run under Windows (so that it doesn't crash under Linux with Wine)
- Removed Tab 3 -> Web -> Search TCM for Title, because the TCM site is now unusable
- Updated the FrimSource MVC decoder to the latest version (v1.31)
- Updated x264 to the latest version (v0.161.3027)
- Updated x265 to the latest version (v3.5+26)
- Updated the MkvToolnix tools to the latest version (v51.0.0 'I Wish')
Download BD3D2MK3D or visit its home page.
Have fun !
Old 5th December 2020, 16:42   #28  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.21

BD3D2MK3D v1.21 has been released. It fixes a single bug in a tool that has no impact on the conversion of a movie to 3D. It affects only some power users.
Quote:
v1.21 (December 5, 2020)
- Fix: Clone Subtitles Positions did not clone the Y position if the X position was not changed. (Thx Ennio!)
Download : BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 2nd January 2021, 10:29   #29  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.22

BD3D2MK3D v1.22 is available.

It adds a new option available when you encode in Half-Top/Bottom to use the even and odd lines of the source material instead of merging them with a resize. If you have a LG passive 3D TV that can display the full 1080p resolution, you will benefit from this option, as there is no need to resize the image, and all details are retained. But please note that it is suitable only if your TV has the correct polarity: the even lines must correspond to the left eye and the odd lines to the right eye. In all other polarity configuration (such as "checkered") or if you have an active TV, this option is not recommended. (Thanks to Muf for suggesting this option.)

Quote:
v1.22 (January 2, 2021)
- Added an option to use the even/odd lines for the left and right views to encode in Half-T&B mode for a LG 3DTV, while retaining the full 1080p resolution. (Thx Muf!)
- Updated x265 to the latest version (v3.4+35)
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 23rd January 2021, 18:29   #30  |  Link
TVI

Encoding issue

Hello. I wonder if somebody could help me with a problem please?

I’m doing everything I normally do but when I launch the encoder it starts without saying ‘press a key’, encodes in an hour (normally takes 4-5hrs) and isn’t saving to my MKV folder (small black screen stays on screen).

Help! Thanks.
TVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2021, 22:12   #31  |  Link
TVI

Following on from last message...

...here is the error I’m getting.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 24th January 2021, 09:34   #32  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

It seems that the Intel Media library is the culprit. If you have an Intel CPU, try to update the Intel drivers.
If that doesn't work, use the software MVC decoder: Settings -> MVC Decoder -> Hardware Acceleration -> Disabled.
Good luck !
Old 24th January 2021, 12:39   #33  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Wouldn't be the first time Intel breaks backward compatibility. That's why DGDecIM met its demise.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2021, 19:02   #34  |  Link
TVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
It seems that the Intel Media library is the culprit. If you have an Intel CPU, try to update the Intel drivers.
If that doesn't work, use the software MVC decoder: Settings -> MVC Decoder -> Hardware Acceleration -> Disabled.
Good luck !
Hi,

I disabled the Hardware Acceleration as you suggested and it worked.

Thank you for your help which is much appreciated!
Old 13th March 2021, 08:10   #35  |  Link
sfatula

Problem with wine on ubuntu

I've seen messages saying this should run under wine. I get through the demux portion, and, when it runs the 3d launcher and is in encode_3d.cmd, instead of a window where it shows progress of encoding, it shows, well, garbage. Anyone here have any tips for running under wine to clear that part up? It's helpful to see remaining runtime like it does under Windows. If it's even working. See image

EDIT; I did find that if I remove the ^ in the __ENCODE_3D.cmd file, that' the garbage goes away and it seems to run. Was true on ubuntu standard apt package, and, WINHEHQ-DEVEL also. 32 or 64 bit.

Last edited by sfatula; 14th March 2021 at 00:12.
sfatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 15:50   #36  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfatula View Post
EDIT; I did find that if I remove the ^ in the __ENCODE_3D.cmd file, that' the garbage goes away and it seems to run.
Thanks for the information. The ^ at the very end of a line under the Windows command prompt is the line continuation character. Theoretically, if you remove it and you don't replace it with a Linux equivalent, the encoding command will be considered as several different commands, and produce as many errors. I guess that you have concatenated the lines together, to form a single long command. Correct ?

If it's the only thing to change to use BD3D2MK3D under Linux with Wine, I may add an option in the Settings menu to be compatible with Wine. However, it seems that it's a Wine bug, that should be fixed, as this breaks the compatibility with some Windows batch files. Perhaps you should report it to the Wine authors...
Old 28th April 2021, 20:11   #37  |  Link
nodiaque

hello, I have version 1.22 and everytime I try to start something, it says I have 0mb free. But I have about 700GB free on both of my NVME drive. The first time, I can do ignore but the second time, it's only retry or cancel. Under W10 x64 20H2
nodiaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2021, 08:21   #38  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Strange. I have already encountered that problem (due to a Windows in a foreign language) but I have modified the code to avoid the problem. What is the language of your Win10 ?
Can you also open a command prompt, CD to the drive containing the project folder, and type dir, like this (assuming your project folder is on drive D:\) :
Code:
D:
dir
Then, post the content of the command prompt window here. Perhaps that will help me to find the cause of the problem.

In the meantime, I will modify the code to be able to skip the disc space warning...

[EDIT] Just verified the code, and indeed, there are two warnings. The first one is generated before the creation of the project, and you can skip it by clicking Ignore, abort the creation of the project with Abort, or you can click Retry after having made some room on your disc to let the program check again the disc space (but that will not work if the program detects always 0 bytes of free space!)

The second warning is issued after the creation of the project, if there is not enough disc space available for the creation of the x264 video stream. In that case, indeed, there are only two buttons: Retry and Cancel. Abort is not present, since the project has already been created, and there is nothing to abort. Retry is again used to recheck the disc space, and you can click Cancel to ignore the warning and continue. (I would have preferred Retry and Ignore instead of Retry and Cancel, but the possibilities are limited by Windows.)

So, I have nothing to modify. It is already possible to skip the two dialogs. However, with your help, I will try to fix the problem of the bad detection of the free space.

Last edited by r0lZ; 29th April 2021 at 08:51.
Old 15th May 2021, 10:49   #39  |  Link
zaudio

HSBS mkv encodes play vertically squashed in Plex on NVidia Shield

I have converted various bluray isos to Half SBS 1080p mkv files recently.
All play in KODI on my shield pro (though with the occasional micro stutter), and I am wanting to see how well they play in plex.

The odd thing is that playing in plex all of my conversions are squashed vertically; thus incorrect aspect ratios.

Looking at 'Get Info' from plex, all of my conversions have 'Anamorphic:true' listed.

My guess as to why plex is squashing the video is this anamorphic:true tag. I have looked at various 1080p mkv files that are not my own conversions and they do not have it, and all play correctly in plex.

So how to I eliminate that tag for the mkv, or at least fix this annoying issue? I also see a pixel aspect ration of 2:1 that has been added... but I did not choose that SBS option, as would not think it applies to HSBS either.

Thanks

Simon

Here is the output from Get Info:

Media
Duration 1:34:48
Bitrate 15695 kbps
Width 1920
Height 1080
Aspect Ratio 2.35
Video Resolution 1080p
Container MKV
Video Frame Rate 24p
Audio Profile ma
Video Profile high
Part
Audio Profile ma
Container MKV
Has Thumbnail 1
Video Profile high
Codec H264
Bitrate 14159 kbps
Anamorphic true
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Location left
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Coded Height 1088
Coded Width 1920
Color Range tv
Color Space bt709
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 1080
Level 4.1
Pixel Aspect Ratio 2:1
Profile high
Ref Frames 4
Scan Type progressive
Title 3D Half-SBS (x264 high@L4.1 CRF 13 preset slow)
Width 1920
Display Title 1080p (H.264)
Extended Display Title 3D Half-SBS (x264 high@L4.1 CRF 13 preset slow) (1080p H.264)
zaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2021, 06:19   #40  |  Link
zaudio

Hello, I have BD3D2MK3D version 1.22 and have been converting 3D bluray decrypted ISOs to HSBS 1080p. This is under Win10 X64 20H2
All of my mkv's are getting anamorphically squashed vertically when I play them using Plex on my NVidia Shield, or again on Plex on my Roku
This does not happen if I play on my Shield in Kodi. I have also some other hsbs 1080p 3d files not encoded using BD3D2MK3D. and they play fine in Plex (and do not have the 2 erroneous looking tags listed below)
All by mkv's report in get info from plex similar to this: Note in particular the 'Anamorpic true' and 'pixel aspect ratio 2:1' - I do not think those should be there, and I have tried everything I can think of to remove them... please can you help, as I really would like to play these files in plex as it plays way smoother than Kodi on the shield

Container MKV
Has Thumbnail 1
Video Profile high
Codec H264
Bitrate 15207 kbps
Anamorphic true
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Location left
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Coded Height 1088
Coded Width 1920
Color Range tv
Color Space bt709
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 1080
Level 5.0
Pixel Aspect Ratio 2:1
Profile high
Ref Frames 5
Scan Type progressive
Title 3D Half-SBS (x264 high@L5.0 CRF 13 preset slow)
Width 1920
Display Title 1080p (H.264)
Extended Display Title 3D Half-SBS (x264 high@L5.0 CRF 13 preset slow) (1080p H.264)
zaudio is offline   Reply With Quote