Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 21st April 2024, 15:12   #1  |  Link
activoice

Why do some HDR videos display correctly on SDR display

For context I am using 2 Nvidia Shields running Kodi and using the built in player. I have an older 1080P SDR TV and a newer 2160P HDR TV.

I keep my 4k HDR movies seperate from the 1080P SDR copy because if I try to play the HDR movie on the SDR display the colors would obviously appear muted when played back in KODI using the built in player. But not always.

For example if I play Rogue One 4k HDR on the 1080P SDR display the colors are muted as I would expect

However if I play the 4K HDR video of Oppenheimer on the 1080P SDR display the colors are not muted.

In MediaInfo both Rogue One and Oppenheimer are set to BT2020, but I don't know why one displays fine on the SDR display and the other does not.

Is there some property in MediaInfo that I can look at that would tell me which movies will playback with proper color on the SDR display.

Maybe this is a basic question but I was always under the impression that only BT709 videos would display the correct colors on the SDR TV.

Thanks.
activoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2024, 15:48   #2  |  Link
wswartzendruber
hlg-tools Maintainer

Oppenheimer has a muted color palette as it is. It likely looks passable when viewed as BT.709 because this only mutes them just a little more.
wswartzendruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2024, 17:12   #3  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzendruber View Post
Oppenheimer has a muted color palette as it is. It likely looks passable when viewed as BT.709 because this only mutes them just a little more.
I watched the whole of The Equalizer 3 thinking "Well this all looks a bit drab, but if that's what the director wanted..." only to discover that my media server had done a dumb transcode to 8-bit.