Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th December 2023, 07:46   #1  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Fun with Bill Nye end credits and deinterlacing

NNEDI3:

https://imgur.com/Q0Ryyp7

YADIF, mode 1:

https://imgur.com/C2j6ey9

YADIF, mode 3:

https://imgur.com/a9LQM3q

Using the edeint parameter to pull deinterlaced pixels from NNEDI3 didn't help (in fact, that was how I learned about the problem). The issue is with the temporal awareness. I ended up using NNEDI3+YADIFmod2 for most of the episode and then switching to NNEDI3 alone for the end credits.

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 8th December 2023 at 12:05.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2023, 07:49   #2  |  Link
kedautinh12

Can't see nnedi3 with undefined image
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2023, 18:41   #3  |  Link
johnmeyer

Not much use without being able to see the original.

The reason for wanting to see the original video is that end credits which stroll down the screen often have issues that must be dealt with before deinterlacing. In particular, if the scroll on interlaced video is not done correctly by the producer of the video, you end up with the tops and bottoms of letters not being at exactly the same position relative to the scan line or pixel row as it was in the previous frame. Put another way, to get a really smooth scroll, the speed of the scroll needs to be mathematically tied to the number of vertical scan lines and the frame rate. If it isn't, you will get some nasty twitter in the original interlaced video when viewed on an old-fashioned interlaced CRT monitor, and the problem gets magnified if you then apply deinterlacing.

So, like I said, you need to post the original, and you need to post actual video rather than stills in order to see if your efforts are providing a real improvement.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 6th December 2023 at 00:35. Reason: Clarification
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2023, 12:09   #4  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Bloody hell... stupid goddamn imgur...

Well, I didn't have my original script or d2v file anymore, but I did have the final AVI file, so I've posted the equivalent frame from it. The point is that it looks fine, or at least the text does.
Old 11th December 2023, 20:44   #5  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
end credits which stroll down the screen often have issues that must be dealt with before deinterlacing.
QTGMC's InputType=2 (progressive repair mode, not deinterlacing) can smooth it out after the fact:

For InputType=2 I believe QTGMC uses NNEDI3 interpolations to do the smoothing between fields.

Original clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lKt...ew?usp=sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
YADIF
I personally don't like YADIF's field interpolation. I would even go as far as saying it is "wrong". Even BWDIF's field interpolation is not real field interpolation I don't think... it seems to do a blend with the weaved version of the clip or something, I'm not really sure. TDeint interpolation is a bit cleaner:

...but TDeint is a bit too CPU heavy in conjunction with QTGMC so I prefer BWDIF+QTGMC(InputType=1/2).

Last edited by flossy_cake; 11th December 2023 at 20:57.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote