Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th June 2011, 15:06   #1  |  Link
SailorJim

Basic Questions

Doom9 forum
OK, I’ve been searching and reading through some of the threads on this forum and I think I’m more confused now than when I started. This is truly like learning a new language.
Here’s what I’m trying to figure out.

I have a bunch of DVD-audio disks for my car. But since the disks are hard to find I would rather make backup copies and play the backup disks. That way if a disk is damaged I still have the original. How can I make copies of my DVD-audio disks for the car that will sound as good as the original?

I also have quite a few concert DVDs that I’d like to be able to play in the car. How can I burn the DTS surround sound from those DVD-videos onto a DVD-audio disk?

Finally I’d like to be able to make copies of my DVD-video disks to keep on the boat. Everything takes a beating in the salt air plus the motion of the boat. Same as for the car. I’d like to be able to keep the originals at home and play copies on board.

Is there a program or combination of programs that offer a “one click solution”? I really don’t want to become an audio/video engineer. I just want to be able to back up and play my own disks.

Thanks in advance,
Sailor Jim
Old 13th June 2011, 18:00   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Hi SailorJim,

Welcome to Doom9! You have some interesting requests, and I think you should be able to accomplish all of them. The bad news is that some of these tasks aren't commonly done around here, so there aren't many automated tools. You may have to get your hands dirty for some of it.

1) Backing up DVD Audio discs: You have a head unit in your car that plays DVD Audio? Cool! There are a few tools for working with DVD Audio. I only personally own one of these discs, but I did successfully back it up several years with DVD Audio Explorer: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Audio_Explorer I ripped it to WAV files and then converted these into FLAC to save space. Since your goal is to literally copy the DVD-A discs, the workflow would be a little different. I'm not sure, but you should be able to rip them into WAV first, then burn a new DVD-A disc.

2) DVD-Video audio tracks to DVD-A: If you master the process of burning DVD-A discs above, then you can probably easily rip the audio track from a DVD, convert it into multiple mono WAV files, then burn these to DVD-A

3) DVD-Video copy: This is the task that EVERYONE wants to do. Therefore, you're in luck. There's tons of automated tools. The old standard is DVD Shrink, and while it's not going to give you the best possible quality, it is exceedingly simple. Note, this is assuming you want to use DVD5 discs, which are cheaper, but usually require recompression to make a movie fit. If you spring for DVD9 discs, you can 1:1 copy anything.

Good luck!
Old 13th June 2011, 20:01   #3  |  Link
SailorJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Hi SailorJim,

Welcome to Doom9! You have some interesting requests, and I think you should be able to accomplish all of them. The bad news is that some of these tasks aren't commonly done around here, so there aren't many automated tools. You may have to get your hands dirty for some of it.

1) Backing up DVD Audio discs: You have a head unit in your car that plays DVD Audio? Cool!
Amazing is more like it. I just wish there were more disks available.

Quote:
There are a few tools for working with DVD Audio. I only personally own one of these discs, but I did successfully back it up several years with DVD Audio Explorer: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Audio_Explorer I ripped it to WAV files and then converted these into FLAC to save space. Since your goal is to literally copy the DVD-A discs, the workflow would be a little different. I'm not sure, but you should be able to rip them into WAV first, then burn a new DVD-A disc.
If I go to a WAV file won't I lose the surround sound separation that I get with DVD-A

Quote:
2) DVD-Video audio tracks to DVD-A: If you master the process of burning DVD-A discs above, then you can probably easily rip the audio track from a DVD, convert it into multiple mono WAV files, then burn these to DVD-A
Same question about losing the surround

Quote:
3) DVD-Video copy: This is the task that EVERYONE wants to do. Therefore, you're in luck. There's tons of automated tools. The old standard is DVD Shrink, and while it's not going to give you the best possible quality, it is exceedingly simple. Note, this is assuming you want to use DVD5 discs, which are cheaper, but usually require recompression to make a movie fit. If you spring for DVD9 discs, you can 1:1 copy anything.

Good luck!
I have a 20" 720p set on the boat so I'd be OK giving up some quality. Thanks! it sounds like that one's easy.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 13th June 2011, 20:17   #4  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

maybe check here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96860
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 04:57   #5  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Ripping the DVD-A discs to WAV files is a lossless process. You will probably end up with a single, interleaved 6ch 24/96 WAV file (or maybe 2ch 24/192 WAV, depending on the disc format) for each track on the DVD-A disc. You may have to split each of these into 6 mono WAVs, depending on how DVD-A authoring works.
Old 14th June 2011, 12:24   #6  |  Link
SailorJim

Quote:
Ripping the DVD-A discs to WAV files is a lossless process. You will probably end up with a single, interleaved 6ch 24/96 WAV file (or maybe 2ch 24/192 WAV, depending on the disc format) for each track on the DVD-A disc. You may have to split each of these into 6 mono WAVs, depending on how DVD-A authoring works.
OK, let me repeat this back to make sure I have it.

1) I use DVD-Audio_Explorer to copy the DVD-A tracks to my hard drive as WAV files.

2) I use DVD Authoring software to burn those tracks to a DVD-R disk. I already found links to Cirlinca. Would you recommend them or another DVD Authoring Tool?

Finally can I use a standard DVD-R or do I need double layer disks?

Thank you again for all your help,
Jim